Fed up with surgery staff

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always get mine over the phone (after being asked a few security details), but this is subject to the doctor or nurse having seen them first and making a comment such as "no action required" or "call her in" on the computer records. Never had any trouble with blood tests for HbA1c or cholesterol.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My health fund posts results on the internet, most of the results are on the same day, some are posted after 24 hours. System works very well.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My health fund posts results on the internet, most of the results are on the same day, some are posted after 24 hours. System works very well.

That is the way we are going here in the UK. Some surgeries already do it. I believe it is rolling out country-wide.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You'd think their was a universal solution, our surgery has two hours a week, when you phone in, and a nurse can tell you your results. I then ask for a hard copy, and they'll print it out and leave it in reception for me.
The receptionists aren't qualified to assess the results, so in all fairness to them, they won't read out a result that'll give you a heart attack down the phone.
If it's there, the nurse would probably suggest you come in instead.
The medical staff also know you, and can assess what you'll do with the results, and won't decide to suddenly self medicate, or drop the meds, or another similar knee jerk reaction.
So I'm happy mine works for me, it's a pain if I forget to phone, as I have to wait half a week, but then again, if it's a really bad result, they'll normally phone you as soon as they get them back anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in serious need the NHS will be there for you - without question. That is where they excel.

If you are healthy and controlled there is a lack of interest.

That is kind of understandable but in the private sector they would be intrigued and they would make it their business to work out how you achieved your success and how that could be replicated.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recalled for a cholesterol test a couple of weeks ago and rang a week later asking the receptionist for the results. She gave me all the numbers I asked for, after telling me the results were "normal and no action needed". When I hung up I realised I hadn't asked for my Trigs so called back, spoke to the same person and was given those numbers too. No problem

I think I'm one of the lucky ones with my surgery and DN, but I have been a patient there for 20+ years

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ours seems a very convoluted system now- at one time the receptionist could give you them if checked by GP now I have to have nursing assistant take them, they come back and I have it ring surgery a week later to arrange a telephone consultation off GP who rings with them. Mine only works 3 days and only phones in mornings so you can go weeks before getting results if your diaries don't synch !!

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I registered at the surgery to be able to book on line doctor's appointments (but not DN appointments!) which works through www.patient.co.uk and as an added bonus I now also have on line access to my medical records including all the numbers for every test I have ever had, absolutely brilliant! I don't think that all surgeries do this but it is certainly worth asking when this will be available.

Maxwell