Looking for info

chezzahr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm booked in for a GTT next week (Thursday)
Had a health screening done and hba1c was 5.2 but the glucose plasma was 7.2 at the time of testing.
I'm hoping at worse I have pre diabetes.
Is there anything I can do to prepare for test?
I was thinking surely my levels can't go that high if hba1c is 5.2??
Also for GTT is blood taken via finger prick or vein?
Thanks
X

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi welcome to the forum, I have had a few OGTTs, I have never been told anything except fast before it.
You will have both ways of taking bloods. Before, during and after 3 or 4 hours depending on what they are looking for. Finger pricks every half hour. To monitor your BSLs to see how you spike and the duration to normal.
Regardless it is a warning and this is the time to start eating lower amounts of carbs and sugars.
Have a look around the site and discover why so many diabetics have found this forum to their better health and control their condition.
Ask away. The regulars are so knowledgable and helpful.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your reading of 7.2 mmol/L (Plasma) was done after a period of fasting for the full 12 hours (i.e. Morning Blood Test) then its crossed the diabetic threshold, though your HbA1c reading, if this was taken at the same time would indicate good average blood/glucose control. This may be why they are checking further and asking you to undertake a GTT test to see how well you are coping a dealing with a specific quantity of Carbohydrate after drinking it (Usually it's 100ml of Lucozade).
Before the GTT is undertaken you should ensure that your lifestyle hasn't altered and that you are free from any colds or infections and in good health, otherwise this can effect their final results.
They usually prefer to extract the samples of blood from a vein in the crook of the arm over a time period, having first taken your morning fasting blood glucose level as the reference and then giving you the Lucozade drink.
From all the results of the various samples that are taken, they can then see how well or otherwise you are coping a digesting a fixed volume of glucose loading, and from the results thay can decide if you are diabetic or not. The difficulty is where someone falls between the two limits, and depending where that are in relationship to the upper and lower threshold (The Pre-diabetic Stage) they might decide to conduct further testing in the months or years to come.
If this should prove to be in your result, then you need to take this as a warning, as changing your lifestyle through modest exercise and a revised diet can in most cases reverse the pre-diabetes and save you from eventually becoming a full time member of the 'Diabetes Club'

Best of Luck with your GTT - Lazybones

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hi I'm booked in for a GTT next week (Thursday)
Had a health screening done and hba1c was 5.2 but the glucose plasma was 7.2 at the time of testing.
I'm hoping at worse I have pre diabetes.
Is there anything I can do to prepare for test?
I was thinking surely my levels can't go that high if hba1c is 5.2??
Also for GTT is blood taken via finger prick or vein?
Thanks
X
Hi I have had the test done and for me it was a finger prick to start then you have a full arm one done,then you have to drink a bottle of lucozade straight down I had to wait in the hospital for 2hrs then go back and have another full blood test done,I do not like needles so I use numbing cream.Good luck