Newly diagnosed

Rosemeade

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed 2 months ago and still not sure how I'm going to cope. Attended type 2education day but felt unable to bare my soul in a room full of strangers so left . Now I'm faced with going it alone with the support of a loving husband who is equally baffled.

Reactions: 2 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome Rosemeade,

When you are newly diagnosed you enter a phase where all your plans are in limbo. Keep posting here with questions. The experienced Type Twos here are very helpful and will offer suggestions to help you cope with the changes you.may have to make to your diet and lifestyle.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Only been diagnosed a few weeks so I'm not an expert. I can understand why you were referred to the education day to help. But on the 'sharing' aspect you are clearly not ready. There are many forums on here, do some research, there are many people who recommend different diets - ie the Low Carb/High Fat, Newcastle diets - and to get a monitor to help yourself. Daisy will be along soon with some information that you will probably find useful. Many people on here recommend a blood monitor. I got one, and did research on how to use it - discussed it with my DN as well. It certainly gave me more confidence on how to deal with my condition, and by doing that straightened my thoughts out.

I don't know how supportive your Diabetic Nurse/GP is but it may be worth going back and asking for a different kind of help. Sadly the support you get depends on your area/GP.

I wish you all the very best, but even if you just come on here, you are not alone!

Reactions: 4 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Welcome Rosemeade to the forum,I am newly diagnosed and I too find it difficult had a feel sorry for myself day it seems to be a minefield at the moment but I have to say this forum and it's members have been really helpful and have put my mind at rest.
Take Care Andrea.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi & welcome Rosemeade,
It's scary and overwhelming when you first get the news of the diagnosis, this is a man talking but it brought a tear to my eye when I got the news, it can feel devastating.
Coming here you will find that it's the best place to be and there is a tremendous amount of very friendly help. Just ask all the questions you want and your will find it will get a lot easier.

Neil

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Rosemeade, welcome.

Do you know what your diagnosis blood sugar levels were?

Don't panic, this is manageable. Ask any questions you like.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Rosemeade and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi, I found it easier just to cut carbs.., grain and grain product= bread pasta etc, starchy veg, fruit and sugary stuff
I ate a lot of nonstarch veg, normal meat and a lot of healthy fats..I've lost 12kg and my bloods are normal with the help of metformin as well

take a few days to read these topics that helped me
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video

For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

blood testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

food counting
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Newcastle diet aims in 8+ weeks to mimic the rate of ~70% remission, for surgery T2
“It is now clear that Type 2 diabetes is caused by abnormal fat storage. Research on how this may be reversed is available. “
lecture
https://campus.recap.ncl.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Embed.aspx?id=c3bef819-e5f4-4a55-876f-0a23436988ed&v=1

American diabetic association ( http://www.professional.diabetes.org/)
http://www.professional.diabetes.org/admin/UserFiles/0 - Sean/dc132042 FINAL.pdf
Evidence is inconclusive for an ideal amount of total fat intake for people with diabetes;
therefore, goals should be individualized; fat quality appears to be far more important than quantity.
In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich eating pattern may benefit
glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Believe me you will get thru it. Start to take control of it by getting a glucose meter and understanding how you blood suagar changes with food and so on. Reduce the carbs in your food and excessive portion sizes. Don't worry about fat; have enough of that, protein and veg to keep your self happy and full. Take exercise when you can. If you have excess weight then the revised diet and exercise will help get that down as well as blood sugar. A note to beware of NHS diet advice which can be very bad; follow what you see on this forum. Do continue to ask questions.

A

AnnieC

Hi and welcome
Yes it is very overwhelming and you will feel like this for a while that it is normal. Spend time if you can reading the forums here and then you can decide what is the best way for you personally to manage your diabetes. If you have other medical issues that may have a bearing on what you do. We are all different so unfortunately there is no one plan to suit all People on here have different ways of eating to control their blood glucose levels read all you can ask questions and then you can decide which way will be best for you Things will start to look better and you will cope

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed 2 months ago and still not sure how I'm going to cope. Attended type 2education day but felt unable to bare my soul in a room full of strangers so left . Now I'm faced with going it alone with the support of a loving husband who is equally baffled.

Hi and welcome.

You are not faced with going it alone. We are all diabetics of one sort or another on here, and you are now a member of our club and definitely not alone. Please feel free to jump in and join us, ask as many questions as you wish, take a few deep breaths, and remember .... baby steps are best initially.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello and welcome we're all here to support one another.....