For those of you who have been put to sleep?

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
If anyone has had an op or procedure where they've been put to sleep have you noticed a spike in sugars? Maybe due to the anastetic? I had a procedure yesterday and they haven't come below 10 since

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I had tonsils removed last year and battled higher than normal levels for a day or two. It is a big trauma to the body and it is coping in its own way

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had general anaesthetic twice and my sugars were very high for several days afterwards.

You'll probably need to apply sick day rules and keep a close eye on your levels until they return to normal.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Thought this was going to be euthanizing, not anaesthetizing:woot:

Reactions: 10 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I believe that your 'stress' hormones will come in full force and try to help you out - maybe not a bad thing - all things considered.

And hopefully you were not fed hospital foods - if so, it might explain things ...

annelise

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whet about sedation? Has anyone had that? I've got to be sedated next Sunday x

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had GA for eye op and my bg stayed stable whole time and afterwards. But I'm weird, cold and stuff doesn't affect my bg either :eek:

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a hernia repair operation and was out for about 45 mins. My BGs were high for about 2 days and reached 20+. I contacted my DSN and she said it was probably a steroid injection given at the time of the operation that caused the high BGs. I just followed the sick day rules and my BG came back down to normal levels. I have to say I was a bit panicky at the time.

baz1191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise / saving money ...All the things I should be doing
Rachy... funny you should mention this. I have had an inner ear infection for 9 months now, I had to cancel my first operation (before being diagnosed T1DM) as another member of staff at work needed time off.
Now I have since been back for a pre-operation assessment, and they are saying because my HbA1C is at 87 (10.1%) they will not put me to sleep and operate as I could go into a coma during the operation.
Well I don't understand this really, as I have read that infections can cause out of control BS levels so is it just a vicious circle?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have to admit that in seeing this title I wondered who might have had something done to them that gets done to pets... :oops:

baz1191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise / saving money ...All the things I should be doing
Hahhahaa Tim.. Sometimes I feel like I need to be lol

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
It took me a good week or so to get control over my BG after a General anaesthetic earlier this year but the GP didn't seem to concerned about it he said it was most likely due to stress

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, like others I have had very high BS for quiet a while following a GA. 21 is high and I have been there myself. A couple of moths ago I had a 16.4, took an insulin correction and 1 1/2 hrs later it went up to over 19 :eek:

So yes it does have a big affect on me :oops:

RRB

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to admit that in seeing this title I wondered who might have had something done to them that gets done to pets... :oops:
I thought the same ... Or the NHS trying to treat diabetes with euthanasia .. Wouldn't surprise me if they did ! The eat well plate with lots of carbs and no testing is amounting to the same.

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found local anesthetic spiked my levels.

Thankfully, I have not had a reason to go under general anesthetic since diagnosis.

Come to think of it, last time I was put "to sleep" was forty four years ago, when I had my tonsils out at the age of five. :)

Pavlos

Agree with @dianagrace about the attention grabbing headline