Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What should be the ideal fasting blood glucose level in the morning?

@stuartkneen

'
Impaired fasting glycemia test
When being tested for diabetes by a impaired fasting glycemia test, blood sugar levels will normally be taken after around eight hours of fasting.

During this blood sugar levels are put into the following categories:

• Normal: 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/l (70 to 107 mg/dl)
  • Prediabetes or Impaired Glucose Glycemia: 6.0 to 6.9 mmol/l (108 to 126 mg/dl)
  • Diagnosis of diabetes: more than 6.9 mmol/l (126 mg/dl)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: 8 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@stuartkneen

'
Impaired fasting glycemia test
When being tested for diabetes by a impaired fasting glycemia test, blood sugar levels will normally be taken after around eight hours of fasting.

During this blood sugar levels are put into the following categories:

• Normal: 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/l (70 to 107 mg/dl)
  • Prediabetes or Impaired Glucose Glycemia: 6.0 to 6.9 mmol/l (108 to 126 mg/dl)
  • Diagnosis of diabetes: more than 6.9 mmol/l (126 mg/dl)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I have it in writing from the dietician at the hospital to aim for fasting levels of 5-6, with daytime levels of 7-9 but I know others here aim for much lower. Its very personal and dependent on other factors and health conditions

Reactions: 10 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this morning... which I was pleased with as I went to bed on 8.6....

No idea what raise I got before breakfast as I have forgotten to bring with me a new box of strips.. I have one left in my tub so will test before lunch.
This is my first day counting calories... and all the food I am eating is tried and tested so I am not too worried., besides it will give my fingers a much needed rest.

Reactions: 12 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess, Ideal would be 3.5 to 4.5
Nice guideline for non diabetics fasting levels Is 4 to 7.

Statistics show that the average non diabetic HbA1c is 5,3% corresponding to average glucose levels of 5,9 mmol. The vast majority of non diabetics ( over 80%) have HbA1c between 5,2 and 5,4% if I remember correctly.

And non diabetics do not spend too many hours of the day at elevated post prandial levels so their average level should not be very elevated compared with waking levels.

So I believe that you are underestimating the ideal fasting level.

What evidence is there that 3,5 is better than 4,5 or than 5,5.

Temptation is tho consider lower as always better, since our problem is usually too high levels, but is that really so?

Pavlos

Ps I am not to pick up a fight jack, honest I am not!

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice guideline for non diabetics fasting levels Is 4 to 7.

Statistics show that the average non diabetic HbA1c is 5,3% corresponding to average glucose levels of 5,9 mmol. The vast majority of non diabetics ( over 80%) have HbA1c between 5,2 and 5,4% if I remember correctly.

And non diabetics do not spend too many hours of the day at elevated post prandial levels so their average level should not be very elevated compared with waking levels.

So I believe that you are underestimating the ideal fasting level.

What evidence is there that 3,5 is better than 4,5 or than 5,5.

Temptation is tho consider lower as always better, since our problem is usually too high levels, but is that really so?

Pavlos

Ps I am not to pick up a fight jack, honest I am not!
for an insulin or other meds that can cause hypos is 4 to 7...
as asked an 'ideal' BG is 3.5 to 4.5...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am heartily sick to death of my meter when I re-test.

Last night 5.3 bang on current average
This morning, it's take your pick time

I am waiting now for breakfast plus 1 hour, and from that I will pick which of the readings is most likely. (always have the same breakfast)

Reactions: 9 people
S

Sable_Jan

Blood sugar 6.8 this morning. Spoke to Asthma nurse yesterday advised me to take peak flow 4 times a day a up ventolin to 4 times a day. Here come the shakes:rolleyes:
I see her next week and might be changing or adding nighttime inhealer
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Numbers don't sound to bad taking your asthma into account. Hope you get it settled and the shakes aren't too bad. Happens to my friend when she has to take extra. This damp weather is bad for her too

S

Sable_Jan

Out of nowhere an unusually high 6,8 fasting level for me this morning ( tested twice).

All I can think of is increased work related stress and disturbed sleep last night.

One hour's 5,5 km walk brought my levels down to a more typical 5,6 mmol.

Will need to monitor levels more closely today.

Look after yourselves everyone!

Pavlos
Sorry to hear about your lousy sleep :(. Glad you've got the levels down.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

Morning, pre breakfast reading 4.8 though not exactly fasting. Nibbled on cereal at 4:30 ish cos I was starving waiting for one of the dogs to do what she had to do down the garden after waking me up

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
for an insulin or other meds that can cause hypos is 4 to 7...
as asked an 'ideal' BG is 3.5 to 4.5...

Nope, that's wrong, unless you have evidence the advice quoted off this website is seriously incorrect, and in which case you should email it to them so they can amend the webpage.

S

Sable_Jan

I am heartily sick to death of my meter when I re-test.

Last night 5.3 bang on current average
This morning, it's take your pick time

I am waiting now for breakfast plus 1 hour, and from that I will pick which of the readings is most likely. (always have the same breakfast)
Is it the strips or the meter? Someone mentioned to @allibee that theirs went haywire if the battery was low...... Hope for more consistent readings 4u soon

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.