what is going on?

goose64

I recently had my hbac1 test & at 5.3 we decided that I was going to reduce my carbs & see if that worked before putting me onto any druga. So I started low carbing & bought a meter. First thing in the morning my results have been around 9.- 9.8 and my lowest 6.8 2 hours after eating.

However my 2 hour after meals results are going up by less than 2 mmol (highest 1.8) and in some cases even dropping.

Has anyone any idea why my levels have increased so much .

I take statins, 2 blood pressure tablets & anti depressants & have arthritis so I'm only able ro exercise 2-3 times a week which I am doing - these have not changed recently

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a1c is an average for 3 mths,
the morning fasting is at that moment in time and not your daily average..did I say it right, does this make sense?

LCHF worked for me
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video

For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

blood testing

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh ok...your BG hasn't gone up...A1c is a different unit of measure to the home meter, the numbers won't be the same..I would continue with carb cutting, your before breakfast will be the last to get right..
the blood testing link has good info and ask more questions till it makes sense, they haven't tried to make it easy for the patient :)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought but are you sure that the HbA1C was 5.3 not 53.

They use a different type of unit when they do mine which at my last appointment was 56, down from 71, but could still do to be lower. An average of 5.3 seems pretty good to me and that there would not be much call to reduce it further, where as if it was 53 it could do to drop a few points.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Ruth B please check what your HbA1c is. 5.3 is normal, not diabetic. 53 is diabetic and equates to an average of 8.6mmol/l as shown on our meters. It sounds more likely to be 53 than 5.3.

A

AnnieC

Just wondered why you thought you needed to go low carb with a BG of 5.3 that is normal levels for a non diabetic

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding exercise, I have some obstacles too, but it's important to keep trying. Just a 10 minute walk in the morning makes a difference to my readings.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had my hbac1 test & at 5.3 we decided that I was going to reduce my carbs & see if that worked before putting me onto any druga. So I started low carbing & bought a meter. First thing in the morning my results have been around 9.- 9.8 and my lowest 6.8 2 hours after eating.

However my 2 hour after meals results are going up by less than 2 mmol (highest 1.8) and in some cases even dropping.

Has anyone any idea why my levels have increased so much .

I take statins, 2 blood pressure tablets & anti depressants & have arthritis so I'm only able ro exercise 2-3 times a week which I am doing - these have not changed recently

Now we are sorted that your HbA1c was 53, and as I mentioned earlier, this equates to 8.6mmol/l on our meters, it doesn't look like your readings have gone up at all. The 8.6 is an average. Your morning levels are quite high, and if your lowest levels so far has been 6.8, it looks like 8.6 is a fair sort of average. This just means you haven't as yet improved, but these things do take time unless you are a very strict low carber.

Do you test all your meals, and do you test at bedtime? Testing at bedtime may give a clue as to why your morning levels are so high.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you eat yesterday just to give us an idea of your carb intake?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you just started taking the Statins - I found that they raised my levels to the extent that I needed medication. Since coming off them my levels have dropped again, off the meds and will find out what my latest results are next week - last time my hba1c was 40.

goose64

I was confusing 53 with 5.3 so was panicking but the last few days have seen my readings drop to mainly in the 5s & 6s pre prandial & 6 to very low 7s post prandial, I have also found out I can tolerate wholemeal bread & ryvita but not peas

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good @goose64 I also struggle a bit with peas but as I don't eat many veggies and love peas I restrict my portions and carry on eating them. As time has passed I am getting on better with them and can now manage a few more.