Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today which I'm happy with as had rough night's sleep again. It's damp and grey here which has triggered my fibromyalgia so I ache standing up, lying down and anything in between. Still I've an evening out walking round on a ghost walk to look forward to later, even if I'll be tagging along at the back.

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am heartily sick to death of my meter when I re-test.

Last night 5.3 bang on current average
This morning, it's take your pick time

I am waiting now for breakfast plus 1 hour, and from that I will pick which of the readings is most likely. (always have the same breakfast)

OK so my breakfast plus 1 hour is 6.4. (not untypical) I normally spike by about 1mmol/l at an hour (average 1.1) so I am discarding the 6 and (obviously) the 4.1, and going with 5.3 as an average of the other 2 readings and as the most likely.

We really should not have to do this. I am so glad I am not relying on it for insulin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it the strips or the meter? Someone mentioned to @allibee that theirs went haywire if the battery was low...... Hope for more consistent readings 4u soon

God knows. It isn't unusual. It happens frequently when I re-test.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
.................................... walking round on a ghost walk to look forward to later, even if I'll be tagging along at the back.

At the back..Keep checking over you shoulder, you never know!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for an insulin or other meds that can cause hypos is 4 to 7...
as asked an 'ideal' BG is 3.5 to 4.5...
I believe that blood fasting glucose levels are defined as follows:

- Less than 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/l) Low fasting blood sugar

- 70 to 99 mg/dl (3.9 to 5.5 mmol/l) Normal fasting blood sugar

- 100 to 125 mg/dl (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/l) Impaired fasting glucose (prediabetes)

- 126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) and above in more than one test result

The above ranges are the ones also quoted on this site

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Apparently the non diabetic target range for people without diabetes is 4-5,9 according to the International Diabetes Federation, whatever that might be.

So again I remain unconvinced that the range you quote is in any way ideal.

And for the avoidance of doubt I am not saying that being at say 3,8 if not on hypoglycemia inducing drugs is worse than being at 5,0. What I am disputing pending evidence to the contrary is that it is actually any better.

Regards

Pavlos

Reactions: 8 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was back at 5.0 this morning, which is where I like to be.
When I get below 4's, it does seem like I am lacking in energy, not quite so noticeable on the fasting reading, as I eat when I get up anyway, but I'm more comfortable above 4.5 on the meter in the day.

Reactions: 10 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am heartily sick to death of my meter when I re-test.

Last night 5.3 bang on current average
This morning, it's take your pick time

I am waiting now for breakfast plus 1 hour, and from that I will pick which of the readings is most likely. (always have the same breakfast)

Just wondering do you keep the strips and / or meter somewhere too cold overnight? Mr Ethyl's ketone meter tht he used for the cows( don't ask) misbehaved if it had got too hot or cold.

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 today which I'm happy with as had rough night's sleep again. It's damp and grey here which has triggered my fibromyalgia so I ache standing up, lying down and anything in between. Still I've an evening out walking round on a ghost walk to look forward to later, even if I'll be tagging along at the back.
:mask: Spooky

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A nice 3.9 for me this morning. I’m comfortable with that.

Last night we had the most delicious, if a little carb heavy for some, Jamie Oliver rack of lamb. (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/roast-rack-of-lamb-with-crushed-potatoes/ ) The flavours were just fantastic, and it didn’t take forever. The forever part was important as I had a bit of a low an hour before eating, and had to resort to pillaging a few of the olives and tomatoes destined for the recipe. Well, it was an emergency, right?

Rounding up, I was 3.6 before (after olives and cherry tomatoes), and 4.3 at two hours after. I checked again after a further 30 and 60 minutes, with is going down to 4.2, just before some raspberries with cream. Last night’s cream was one of Tesco’s special festive varieties; in our case, with rum (3.something gr carb, so nothing too dire). Actually, it was something of a disappointment, so we’ll try the Triple Sec one next (with the perennial rasps, and maybe a little bitter chocolate). I haven’t had chocolate since pre-diagnosis. I haven’t missed it, but I’m looking for a simple, carb-light-ish dessert for the festive season.

Have a great day playmates.

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I 'd be feeling washed out on those numbers, and needing to go back for seconds :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I 'd be feeling washed out on those numbers, and needing to go back for seconds :)

That doesn't make then right or wrong; any more than it makes my numbers any more or less desirable. Having found a way that enables me to live fairly freely, with excellent bloods, I'll just crack on.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That doesn't make then right or wrong; any more than it makes my numbers any more or less desirable. Having found a way that enables me to live fairly freely, with excellent bloods, I'll just crack on.

?
You said 'as I had a bit of a low an hour before eating' I agreed, can't understand your comment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering do you keep the strips and / or meter somewhere too cold overnight? Mr Ethyl's ketone meter tht he used for the cows( don't ask) misbehaved if it had got too hot or cold.

OK I won't ask :hilarious:
I keep my pot overnight on my dressing table, so unlikely to be less than the minimum 2deg or more than the max 32deg. During the day it is on my desk in my office, so normal room temp.

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I keep my pot overnight on my dressing table, so unlikely to be less than the minimum 2deg or more than the max 32deg. During the day it is on my desk in my office, so normal room temp.

My meter won't test if it's too low, as I found out when I left it in the car boot recently.

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Lol. Cows that get too fat in dry period get a condition called slow fever and fatty livers which screws up their metabolism( sounds familiar) and you can detect the acidiosis with the meter. Simples.

Have you tried a battery change? I know my BP monitor went from saying I was having a stroke to that I was just about dead because the battery was dying.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
6.4 this morning,seem to have lost the fives from a couple of weeks ago,dont know why.I have eaten the same things.and started swimming again after my hip opp Im using more energy walking.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
?
You said 'as I had a bit of a low an hour before eating' I agreed, can't understand your comment.

We all have the odd low, and/or high from time to time, which we deal with. I dealt with mine, then followed up with quite a carby meal (ours came out carbier than Jamie's by virtue of the tweaks we made our end), and feeling comfortable.

Overall, I'm comfortable with my eating plans and patterns. Dealing with the odd hungry day (or not hungry day) or spell is just as non-diabetics would do. I don't see it as an issue; provided it doesn't become a peaky and troughy roller-coater with matching carb-fests.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that blood fasting glucose levels are defined as follows:

- Less than 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/l) Low fasting blood sugar

- 70 to 99 mg/dl (3.9 to 5.5 mmol/l) Normal fasting blood sugar

- 100 to 125 mg/dl (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/l) Impaired fasting glucose (prediabetes)

- 126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) and above in more than one test result

The above ranges are the ones also quoted on this site

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Apparently the non diabetic target range for people without diabetes is 4-5,9 according to the International Diabetes Federation, whatever that might be.

So again I remain unconvinced that the range you quote is in any way ideal.

And for the avoidance of doubt I am not saying that being at say 3,8 if not on hypoglycemia inducing drugs is worse than being at 5,0. What I am disputing pending evidence to the contrary is that it is actually any better.

Regards

Pavlos
you seem to be very argumentative today, is there a reason for it?
this is my last post with this topic..once again, the question was 'Ideal' reading
..when under 5.1 for a pregnant lady is desired, it's hard to have 5.5 as ideal
https://www.google.com.au/#q=5.1 blood glucose pregnant

but normal is said to be 3.5-5.5 ..choose your source and as I first said "I guess 3.5-4.5" for ideal
https://www.google.com.au/#q=blood glucose 3.5-5.5

alliebee

Is it the strips or the meter? Someone mentioned to @allibee that theirs went haywire if the battery was low...... Hope for more consistent readings 4u soon
That's true. Changed battery and new pot of strips always if you get readings that are not roughly what you are expecting

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.