T1 v T2

STEWBRU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's been over a year for me diagnosed with Type2. After reading all the conversations, twitter etc. I now know that Type 1 diabetes is a much more severe condition and sometimes feel like what I have is not that bad. If the weight is kept down and the H1's are near normal as possible then should not be a concern. Or am I getting complacent.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you still need to maintain a good weight and keep an eye on your blood sugars, making changes to diet and exercise if and when required.........

if you can keep your HbA1c at normal levels, then yeah, you shouldn't have any problems.........but you also shouldn't get complacent though as what works for you and keeps you complication free, may not work for others, so anything is possible......

type 2 can be just as bad in that long term damage can go unnoticed, especially your eyes and nerves........

Reactions: 2 people

STEWBRU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean. I do test my blood glucose. The readings have become quite stable. 6.0 to 6.5 in the morning before food. It does spike sometimes 2 hours after food and up to 12 occaisionally. One hour later it's back down to the 6s. I take 1500 mg Metformin a day and my BMI is 24.9.
Last HbA1c was 5.9, Next blood test will be February. I think I did have some nerve damage when the diabetes was not diagnosed and out of control. Finger tips have never been the same and sometimes feel like plastic. Sometimes get lots of little cuts when using kitchen knife. I just do not feel the blade on my skin. Anyway, thanks for your words and hope you keep well.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you seem to be doing a good job........so well done, its not a condition that will get easier at time goes on, when our bodies normal abilities diminish..........so keeping an eye on things is wise, as you are doing anyway..........:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are 2 very different ailments, and each has its own advantages and disadvantages over the other, but in the end, if a person of either type fails to control their levels by whatever means they will have the same outcome - the complications and consequences are the same.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That's been over a year for me diagnosed with Type2. After reading all the conversations, twitter etc. I now know that Type 1 diabetes is a much more severe condition and sometimes feel like what I have is not that bad. If the weight is kept down and the H1's are near normal as possible then should not be a concern. Or am I getting complacent.

Well done on your results, you are doing well :)

It's probably because Type 1's can be critically ill on diagnosis and then have to have Insulin injections/or a pump for the rest of their lives, that is until a cure can be found. If you have type 1, as a child, it could be 70 to 80 + years as a diabetic :eek: Type 2 can be controlled and managed with diet alone, with no medication, as some on here have done.
As already said, both can suffer with complications :(

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure type 2 diabetes has it's challenges much the same as type 1 does, however it never pays to become complacent with either condition and you always have to keep it under control as best as you can.

Lened

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my first comment as I have only just signed up. There is so much knowledge on this site.
Great help in every way. The Alzheimer's reading room is the same. I am a full time carer for my wife.
I have been classed as type 2 diabetic. I was offered gliclazide, but asked the doctor to hold off until I reduced my weight by about 2 stone and reduced the BP. I've started on a low carb diet again. I have noticed that people who advise this are doing the same as the denigrated Dr Atkins diet. Which I have done twice in my life (but done exactly as he prescribed). It was excellent.
I've checked my Blood glucose levels and they are fine. BP is now down to normal. And weight has dropped by one stone in three weeks. But I also have another thing that I do. It is called 'urine therapy'. I have not seen it mentioned here. I know it sounds strange and there is no point in me telling you all about it. When the time is right people look into it. There are two books worth reading. My own perfect medicine, and. The water of life, They can be bought and they can be downloaded to IPad on iBooks.
Many of my strange feelings have gone, and the neuropathy has diminished in my legs and feet to a really comfortable level , but I haven't used this therapy for very long this time. It actually cures thousands of illnesses, but sadly people just don' t want to talk about it, and even if doctors know about the benefits they don' t talk about it either,
It can also be used with orthodox drugs. I spent 25 years in a number of fields of complementary medicine. When things get really bad, people look outside orthodox medicine and so many times other therapies work. I actually once cured a young woman of double kidney failure, awaiting replacement kidney from a parent, with just four simple treatments of traditional acupuncture she walked out of the hospital cured, sadly the doctors didn't want to know.
Good healing to you all.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If I had a choice between T1 or T2.. It would be what I have T1. I can eat anything or nothing (if I wanted to). Test strips are easier to get...

I've posted previously that I still consider T2's have a much tougher time than me as a T1.

Good point tho, that T1's are typically diagnosed as children and that is horrible. I was 20. It is awful for children and parents to cope with.

Reactions: 5 people

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I had a choice between T1 or T2.. It would be what I have T1. I can eat anything or nothing (if I wanted to). Test strips are easier to get...

I've posted previously that I still consider T2's have a much tougher time than me as a T1.

Good point tho, that T1's are typically diagnosed as children and that is horrible. I was 20. It is awful for children and parents to cope with.
I agree and I seen a few T2 people really have to curb their lifestyle and portions sizes and put a lot of foods on the 'I must never touch you' list.