Type 1 Diabetic - struggling with weight loss - night hypos - please help!

Alexm5079

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Guys,

I have come on here in the hopes that someone can help me.

My issue is that I am 5ft 3 and used to be 9.5 stone prior to having a baby, been T1 diabetic for 8 years and I am now 24. I am well controlled, HB1C is 7 at the moment but usually lower than that. Now 15 months post baby, I am really struggling to lose the 1.5 stone ( I have lost 3 already) to put me back to 9.5

I can stick to a low calorie diet very well, but the issue is having hypos! just last night I woke myself up 4.30AM with a level of 2! I have been eating little to no carbs at dinner time e.g. meat & veg - no starches.... so I have been taking less insulin with that. I then reduced my night levemir insulin by 2 units, I will reduce a further 2 tonight. But my issue is, how will I ever lose weight if I keep on having HYPOS!

Any advice would be much appreciated - as it stands my diet consists of - 1200 cals per day
porridge with semi milk (7.30am)
grapes (10.30am)
chicken breast salad (1.30pm)
grapes (15.30pm)
meat & veg (19.00pm)
full fat Greek yoghurt with mixed frozen berries (8-9pm)

My carb-insulin ratio at the moment is actually 1-4 but used to be 1-10 before pregnancy. I have completed the DAFYDD (Welsh version) of DAPHNEE course. I am well aware of how all of this works, but I am looking for personal experiences of this, as I am having a lot of hypos between midnight & 5 am most nights when I am eating this sort of meal before bed.

Cheers guys

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would just say to keep on testing your overnight Levemir.............you should find the right dose soon..........having half unit pens can also help if your struggling to get the dose that extra bit accurate.....you do seem to be generally more sensitive with a ratio of 1-4, so the half unit pen could help.......if all else fails the pump would help you.....

hypos obviously do come side by side with calorie in take but you can pick something low calorie to treat the low.........

I found isotonic sports drinks OK, 70 calories for 250 ml if it, which is about 15 -20g of carbs...........

Alexm5079

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the response, my pens go down by 1 unit rather than half. I will keep decreasing and just try to figure out what dose is right for me.

I am actually being referred for the wireless pump after Xmas anyway :)

I know I can treat hypos with low cals.... but you know how it is.... when your having a really low sugar level, you really crave all things sweet..... to be honest I always use gluco tabs, but if I take 5-6 of them that is 75-90 cals + you should eat something slow releasing later on such as a biscuit.... maybe the drink would work better.... I will have to try it.

Thanks again, do you do the same? not eat after 8/9pm and not have hypos through the night?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The first rule of type 1 diabetes is to get the basal dose right, once you get that right you'll see a big reduction in the amount of hypo's you are experiencing, hopefully once you start on the pump you'll be able to fine tune your basal anyway, good luck :)