Has anyone developed thyroid problems since diagnosis of T2?

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls, armchair experts and bullies
I'm just interested how many with an auto immune diabetic condition have gone on to develop other endocrine problems like thyroidism. I seem to be going the other way. The problem is getting through to my GP that the tiredness is different to the type caused by the thyroid problem, in any case he should realise I am in the high risk category as a parent had the same conditions.

Reactions: 2 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am the other way round. I developed an underactive thyroid about 14 years ago, and was diagnosed with T2 about 5 years ago, although it could have been hanging around for 10-20 years prior from what I've read. The thing that baffles me is that no one seems to have considered them to be linked (except for me!) and they have been treated as separate entities throughout. I've always suspected that I have Hashimoto's but have never been given a proper diagnosis

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been hypo thyroid & had Addisons for years before type1 was diagnosed earlier this year. Autoimmune conditions do seem follow on from one another.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had T2 for about 3 years and was finally diagnosed with hypothyroid last year although I have had periodic blood tests over the years as my thyroid results were usually border line.

Reactions: 4 people

Lmj56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed with t2 in 1999. In 2005 I had thyroid cancer. Thyroid and parathyroid removed.

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
H
Hi, I am the other way round. I developed an underactive thyroid about 14 years ago, and was diagnosed with T2 about 5 years ago, although it could have been hanging around for 10-20 years prior from what I've read. The thing that baffles me is that no one seems to have considered them to be linked (except for me!) and they have been treated as separate entities throughout. I've always suspected that I have Hashimoto's but have never been given a proper diagnosis

Thanks for replying. I went to see a private endocrinologist when the synthetic thyroxine didn't work and the first thing he told me was I'd probably develop diabetes. The problem is a lot of the symptoms overlap, particularly the tiredness and I went through a stage recently where I kept forgetting my second dose of tablets and my weight ballooned. I'm getting worried as I keep dropping weight now for no apparent reason and feel very dizzy when I'm hungry, always thirsty. How do you define your diabetic symptoms from the thyroidism?

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've had T2 for about 3 years and was finally diagnosed with hypothyroid last year although I have had periodic blood tests over the years as my thyroid results were usually border line.

I'm suspicious of the NHS recommended TSH levels, unless my TSH is hovering around 1.00 I feel like a sloth with memory problems.

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. I was diagnosed with t2 in 1999. In 2005 I had thyroid cancer. Thyroid and parathyroid removed.

I'm so sorry to hear that. So were you overactive ( Graves ) and now underactive because they've removed them?

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've been hypo thyroid & had Addisons for years before type1 was diagnosed earlier this year. Autoimmune conditions do seem follow on from one another.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

That's really rough, sorry to hear that. Hope you've got your conditions under control now, finding a decent NHS endocrinologist is hard.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
H

Thanks for replying. I went to see a private endocrinologist when the synthetic thyroxine didn't work and the first thing he told me was I'd probably develop diabetes. The problem is a lot of the symptoms overlap, particularly the tiredness and I went through a stage recently where I kept forgetting my second dose of tablets and my weight ballooned. I'm getting worried as I keep dropping weight now for no apparent reason and feel very dizzy when I'm hungry, always thirsty. How do you define your diabetic symptoms from the thyroidism?

It's difficult isn't it? For me, I know it's diabetes hypo/hyper coz in both cases I get shakey and sweat. The tiredness with hypothyroidism feels different - it's difficult to explain but I feel drained, sluggish and lethargic, but the tiredness with diabetes is just that without the sluggishness! To complicate matters I also have sleep apnoea which was diagnosed a few months after the Diabetes diagnosis. Feeling thirsty and dizzy are things I would usually associated with diabetes, as is the weight loss. However, sometimes these can be indicative of overactive thyroid. Have you seen your GP or had your bloods done recently? If not it might be worth paying your GP a visit, or ask to see your Endocrinologist again.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was overactive T4 tho not T3, about 6 years ago which meds sorted. Run on the high side of normal now. Diagnosed T2 18 months ago but wonder if some my higher thyroid levels masked the T2 symptoms and I'd had it much longer