Good low GI carb foods for breakfast

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking to start introducing some low GI carbs after 6 months off carbs and would like some advise on what to start with, i like porridge oats but im not sure which are the correct ones to eat, ones im eating now are quacker oats in a box that i mix with the weakest fat milk (purple cap) and microwave. are these the correct ones? any other suggestions including things to have with my dinner
thanks
James

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume you test out meals and eat to your meter? All I can suggest is you use your meter, trial and error, until you find what you can sustain. I don't like porridge personally, so can't be of any help there. Always remember too that if you eat some higher GI carbs such as bread or potatoes, if you mix them up with fats it lowers their GI, for example a slice of bread with 2 poached eggs and some cheese, or a couple of potatoes with a meal and loads of butter on them, or roast potatoes done in duck fat.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have Quaker porridge but it says on the box that they are 60% carbs .... I wouldn't eat anything else that says that on the box but I seem to be able to get away with it with porridge ... no idea why.
I usually have home made full fat full of bugs yoghurt with some nuts and berries added.
When I do that everyday I find it helps stem my appetite through the day.
The ultimate appetite depressant and energy booster has to be bullet proof coffee but I only drink that now and again.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, as long as you're testing, whatever your meter says is ok. It does vary. I can't get away with ordinary porridge and I now have full cream milk with everything to bump up the fat intake a bit. I have time to cook mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon and eggs, kippers, anything with good fat in it or added (usually organic butter or coconut oil). Also any fruit ending in --berry plus red and blackcurrants (mixed packs from supermarket freezer) with double cream.
Dinner -- is that midday or evening?: Lots of ideas in various threads here from lunch on the run to casserole and veg.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You need to look for Steel-Cut, Pinhead, Jumbo or Irish oats as these are less processed as some varieties and don't spike your bg as much as say Ready Brek would.

I have a bowl of porridge for breakfast 6 days out of 7, I add seeds to the porridge as it cooks as they contain healthy fats and help to slow down the absorption of the meal, I also add blueberries and a generous dessert-spoon of natural yogurt, it's very filling and I never feel hungry afterwards and it keeps me going to lunch.

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
Looking to start introducing some low GI carbs after 6 months off carbs and would like some advise on what to start with, i like porridge oats but im not sure which are the correct ones to eat, ones im eating now are quacker oats in a box that i mix with the weakest fat milk (purple cap) and microwave. are these the correct ones? any other suggestions including things to have with my dinner
thanks
James
Hi

I'm with the bacon, eggs or kippers brigade. If you want porridge, add bran, which is not digested, or seeds as has been suggested.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low GI breakfast
I eat ryvita, I find the rye version is ok,
Burgen bread,
Rye bread,
really though you need to test with your meter, and see what foods suit you.

Dinner, vegs, pulses, sweet potato, some amounts of cold potato salad, basmati rice, again, it's really dependent on what you can tolerate.

Do remember though, it will take a while to adjust to eating carbs again, so expect initial readings to be higher than subsequent ones.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only consider low GI or GL also what carbs will give you some additional nutrition, vitamins, minerals etc

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yes, as long as you're testing, whatever your meter says is ok. It does vary. I can't get away with ordinary porridge and I now have full cream milk with everything to bump up the fat intake a bit. I have time to cook mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon and eggs, kippers, anything with good fat in it or added (usually organic butter or coconut oil). Also any fruit ending in --berry plus red and blackcurrants (mixed packs from supermarket freezer) with double cream.
Dinner -- is that midday or evening?: Lots of ideas in various threads here from lunch on the run to casserole and veg.
Maybe that's why I tolerate the stuff so well ... I make it out of full fat milk ... makes sense now.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I have porridge I use a small amount of jumbo oats and bulk it out with sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chopped nuts and almond flour. Made with full fat milk and a dollop of Greek yoghurt.