Sugar and carbs

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again, I agree there are some great success stories, and I agree a low carb diet is not for everyone, but in my case and I'm sure for the vast majority of diabetics things like bread, pasta, grain, either wholemeal or any derivatives, potatoes, fruit ( except for a few exceptions) and all sugars are generally to be considered at the least not helpful or at the worse case poisonous .

It's about understanding what happens when we eat. What happens when the glucose that is produced by what we eat, and how efficient the amount of insulin produced to combat the glucose we cannot burn naturally.

Not wishing to teach my grandma how to suck eggs but :)

If your diabetic, then every time you eat carbs, they are converted to glucose that your natural body's defence cannot fight efficiently. Either your pancreas is not producing enough insulin, or the insulin you are producing is not efficient through various reasons. Granted we do need energy (glucose) to function, everybody does. However diabetics both ordinary people and medical professionals have discovered that vastly reducing your carbs, allows your body to use the good fats we eat to give us the energy we need to live.

I'm sorry if I'm harping on, but I'm getting the distinct impression that you think that eating carbs does you no harm. I certainly don't want you to be confused over what the official NHS views and guidelines are against what you're finding on here, but consider this. We are a collection of ordinary people from all walks of life sharing our experiences, "real life " We can't all be wrong ! Please please continue reading, take your time digesting the information and be guarded in your views as what works for you may not work for me or anyone else. The one thing you can be sure of if you continue to eat carbs and sugars as a non diabetic would, then the sad fact it will kill you.( eventually) .

If you want to take this discussion further with me " off board " feel free to pm me :)

Take care

Reactions: 5 people

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers, although I seem to be under control so far, it's other people's experiences re carbs I find interesting as obviously I don't want to have the horrendous experiences that most are having. One piece of advice I'll revisit is testing myself more often as I do eat carbs often wholemeal toast, pasta, potatoes porridge wheatabix. My BG seems to be settling at 5.5 when I do test. As I bought my own meter strips and lances are expensive

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep they can be, the cheapest around seem to be the code free ones from on here for about 5.99 per 50 strips.

It is worth testing, only then will you have an up to the minute reference of how eating ANY food effects your BG, not relying on s 3 or 6 month review.

Reactions: 2 people

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep they can be, the cheapest around seem to be the code free ones from on here for about 5.99 per 50 strips.

It is worth testing, only then will you have an up to the minute reference of how eating ANY food effects your BG, not relying on s 3 or 6 month review.
can you give me a link re strips and lances I have an accu check meter and 50strips are around £22!!

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Found them on amazon, would they work on an accu chek meter or would I need to buy a new one,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Found them on amazon, would they work on an accu chek meter or would I need to buy a new one,

No, strips only work on the meter they are designed for. here is the supplier for the Codefree http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm and if you order in bulk, these are the promo codes
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

I also have the Accuchek Mobile. You can buy replacement cartridges much cheaper from Ebay but still more expensive than the Codefree.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
If you're eating foods such as rice, pasta potatoes etc test every hour for 8 hours after eating. You don't need to do this after every meal, just once or twice to find out when you spike for a particular food. For example, in my case I found that I get a major spike 6 hours after eating rice.

..... I am not on medication my hba1c readings are normal. I don't need to test my BG. Think of testing as as one football result it's the position at the end of the league that's important.
HbA1c is just an average - you may have what you consider a 'normal' HbA1c but still be putting your body through dangerously high spikes - you'll never know unless you test your BG frequently.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you're eating foods such as rice, pasta potatoes etc test every hour for 8 hours after eating. You don't need to do this after every meal, just once or twice to find out when you spike for a particular food. For example, in my case I found that I get a major spike 6 hours after eating rice.

HbA1c is just an average - you may have what you consider a 'normal' HbA1c but still be putting your body through dangerously high spikes - you'll never know unless you test your BG frequently.
I have to agree. I was doing the low fat whole meal grains thing and I did lose weight and improved my HbA1c. Then I got a meter and saw how high my blood glucose went after eating these supposedly low glycemic index foods. I immediately started cutting way down on the carbs until I was at an amount that didn't raise my blood glucose above 7.8. Then I cut back even further. I'm looking forward to my next HbA1c test in a month or so.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only humans are clever enough to actually grow grains;
And humans are the only animals stupid enough to eat them.....

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Try the carb free rice pud. :clown:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That's funny :) and I do miss my grains...nice creamy home made rice pud especially.

Oooooh, home made rice pud!!! My nan used to boil it in a cloth and serve with sultanas with ideal milk.. And mum in the latter way with a delicious with the nutmeg skin on the top..... A monthly treat in a very small portion as a kid..... Not had for 40+ years!!!

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooh, home made rice pud!!! My nan used to boil it in a cloth and serve with sultanas with ideal milk.. And mum in the latter way with a delicious with the nutmeg skin on the top..... A monthly treat in a very small portion as a kid..... Not had for 40+ years!!!
My mum used 50/50 cream and full fat milk, enough sugar to sink a battleship , cinnamon or nutmeg on the top and baked it for hours in the oven, we used to fight for the skin :) on birthdays she would add either blue or pink food colouring.

probably explains a lot about my adult diet

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

We still make it on a Sunday when the big oven is on for the joint. . We always leave it untouched in the fridge till Monday and eat it cold. I can't have it now of course, so hubby has the lot and I could cry :mad:

Reactions: 4 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We still make it on a Sunday when the big oven is on for the joint. . We always leave it untouched in the fridge till Monday and eat it cold. I can't have it now of course, so hubby has the lot and I could cry :mad:
Mr Bluetit is a lucky guy :)

Reactions: 4 people