SEEDS & NUTS

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I've heard so much mentioned about these so basically I have seeded bread occasionally and I do like salted peanuts but that's probably the wrong sought, what do people eat, seed & nut wise and where can I buy them from. I know this might sound strange but I haven't got a clue on this ?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat almonds and cashews. I get them at the food store.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I eat almonds and cashews. I get them at the food store.
:) Brill! me not thinking checked my Carbs and Cals book and just found a whole range of nuts and seeds, they seem to be low on carbs, but fairly high on calories which is a bit worrying as I'm looking for a change in snacks and don't really want to increase my waistline ;-)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yup, they are very high in fat.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I get packs of mixed seeds and nuts plus unshelled peanuts (monkey nuts) and walnuts from my Co-op. The seeds are pumpkin and sunflower plus pine nuts. I think these are all good for me. The nuts are almond, cashew and hazel, which I think are all good, and brazil, which I've heard you can overdose on whatever it is brazils have got in them (technical term). Walnuts are good.
I roast all the seeds and nuts at 150 degC until they start to brown. I've heard a higher temperature is bad. They're nice and crisp if you keep them in an airtight container.
I shell the peanuts (bit of a chore) and roast them for a bit longer.
I feel they all provide good fat and make an excellent snack. I also put them in my magic porridge groats and anything else I fancy.
Not very scientific but I'm sure someone will put me right.
PS No, not salted peanuts or nuts treated or added to in any way.
PPS I eat a lot of fat (calories) and have just bought some 32" waist jeans -- the only pair of my trousers that stay up without a belt

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat lots of fat as well and am losing weight. However, eating half a pound of nuts a day definitely slowed my weight loss.

Reactions: 3 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
I've heard so much mentioned about these so basically I have seeded bread occasionally and I do like salted peanuts but that's probably the wrong sought, what do people eat, seed & nut wise and where can I buy them from. I know this might sound strange but I haven't got a clue on this ?
Hi masonbason63 I do love nuts,I eat walnuts,pistachio nuts,Brazil nuts,And salted cashews I limit myself to 5 each day as I am a greedy
image.jpg
and could eat a whole packet to myself lol

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I get packs of mixed seeds and nuts plus unshelled peanuts (monkey nuts) and walnuts from my Co-op. The seeds are pumpkin and sunflower plus pine nuts. I think these are all good for me. The nuts are almond, cashew and hazel, which I think are all good, and brazil, which I've heard you can overdose on whatever it is brazils have got in them (technical term). Walnuts are good.
I roast all the seeds and nuts at 150 degC until they start to brown. I've heard a higher temperature is bad. They're nice and crisp if you keep them in an airtight container.
I shell the peanuts (bit of a chore) and roast them for a bit longer.
I feel they all provide good fat and make an excellent snack. I also put them in my magic porridge groats and anything else I fancy.
Not very scientific but I'm sure someone will put me right.
PS No, not salted peanuts or nuts treated or added to in any way.
PPS I eat a lot of fat (calories) and have just bought some 32" waist jeans -- the only pair of my trousers that stay up without a belt
Is it just a preference you roast them or does it change the carb/cal/fat values ?. I'm trying to stick to low carbs but finding it harder than I did earlier in the year.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi masonbason63 I do love nuts,I eat walnuts,pistachio nuts,Brazil nuts,And salted cashews I limit myself to 5 each day as I am a greedy View attachment 8507 and could eat a whole packet to myself lol
How do you get these fantastic pics on the forum there exceptional :)

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How do you get these fantastic pics on the forum there exceptional :)
Just open up a new page find some pictures you like save image and when you want to use it before you post reply upload file press it and choose file and your picture should be there upload file and hey presto lol,hope that helps.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just open up a new page find some pictures you like save image and when you want to use it before you post reply upload file press it and choose file and your picture should be there upload file and hey presto lol,hope that helps.
Looking forward to seeing some fab pictures
image.jpg

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is it just a preference you roast them or does it change the carb/cal/fat values ?. I'm trying to stick to low carbs but finding it harder than I did earlier in the year.
Sorry DeejayR got a bit sidetracked with pictures

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
carolers.gif
Check the. Carbs on the label for peanuts. There can be a big difference between makes. Same for peanut butter..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't eat a lot of nuts, but my preference is cashew and KP's Salt 'n'Vinegar peanuts. Seeds, I eat linseeds, pumpkin & sunflower sees everyday with my breakfast

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Will do I'm looking to buy the cheaper products so that might make a difference as well. And peanut butter Yucky Do Da !

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut butter is lovely,
image.jpg

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Peanut butter really bad can't stand the stuff!!!

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ha Ha I could swear but it's so funny

Reactions: 4 people