ct scan

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Newly diagnosed Type 1 and on insulin can anyone tell me what happens before you have a ct scan I'm very new to this and always in a panic

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Depends what the scan is for. Some people have dye injected into the blood stream. Simple solution is do a google search and you will find all the info you need and plenty you don't :)

Reactions: 2 people

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The scan is chest and abdomen.The consultant said it to see what is going on with my pancreas

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to drink I think a liter of revolting white stuff. They give you about an hour for this. Also had a cannula in the arm for injection. It's nothing to worry about but you could have to fast and not drink. It should be explained on the letter. There is normally diabetic info on the letter and a phone number.

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Nuthead that helps a lot as I worry so much Type 1 diagnosed sept 14 on hemalog and lantus

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
If it is a simple scan, all that happens is you lie on a narrow bed, and the CT machine moves back and forwards.
You will be asked to hold your breath a number of times.
Takes about 30 minutes or less.
They may inject a dye but this is more for Kidneys and Urinary scans.
I have had a few and there is nothing to worry about,
All the best
:)

Reactions: 4 people

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Ranburg that has put my mind at rest a lot just have to wait and see what happens :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to have the dye injected through a cannula. It didn't hurt at all. The scan took about 10 minutes for me and was easy. Afterwards I had to drink a minimum of a pint of water, so I took a bottle with me. I lay on a bed and the machine moved up and down. It was a bit noisy, but nothing too bad. All this was explained in the letter they sent me beforehand.

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks bluetit I will just have to see how it goes and usual panicing

desidiabulum

It's very straightforward and routine, as the others have said. If you are given the dye you will be told that it will feel like you have wet yourself but you haven't. They said this to me over and over again with considerable relish.:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very straightforward and routine, as the others have said. If you are given the dye you will be told that it will feel like you have wet yourself but you haven't. They said this to me over and over again with considerable relish.:)

LOL. They told me that, too, but I felt nothing at all.

moray lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone feel a bit more reassured now .Being very new to all this I seem to panic about but I'm sure that will pass

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had dozens, don't worry, it's exactly as @Randburg @Bluetit1802 and others have said.
It's not the enclosed scanner with the big tube either, that's an MRI.
With a CT Scan you're pretty much out in the open and a big round ring with lots of space between it and you, moves up and down over your body. It's not very wide, so you're not shut in in anyway.
You may have to have 'contrast' injected or drink something.
Afterwards you will need to drink plenty of water over the following day.
MRI... :facepalm: (Shakes in terror at the memory)........:grumpy: