New Egg Research for Diabetes - Not good news!

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is worth reading if you want to improve your health - http://tinyurl.com/p6mrylw
Here is a quote "One study found that eating just a single egg a week increased the odds of diabetes by 76%. Two eggs a week doubled the odds, and an egg a day tripled the odds."
For people who do have a fascination with health - the entire website http://www.nutritionfacts.org is really useful.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
This is worth reading if you want to improve your health - http://tinyurl.com/p6mrylw
Here is a quote "One study found that eating just a single egg a week increased the odds of diabetes by 76%. Two eggs a week doubled the odds, and an egg a day tripled the odds."
For people who do have a fascination with health - the entire website http://www.nutritionfacts.org is really useful.

Seriously ...... now I should dump eggs?

I am so annoyed with these conflicting messages:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Since I already have type 2 diabetes, I will not worry about how many eggs I eat, just how much carbs.

It's an interesting study, but the amount of eggs people were eating a week could just be coincidental with something else that causes the diabetes. From the study: "Frequent consumption of eggs was associated with higher BMI, higher proportion of current smoking, higher prevalence of hypertension, and lower prevalence of hypercholesterolemia. In addition, frequent consumption of eggs was associated with older age and more alcohol consumption in men and higher energy intake, as well as intakes of saturated and trans fatty acids, and dietary cholesterol in women." However, they say they have adjusted the results for that, but I have no idea how. The study seems incomplete to me. There could be other factors, like stress, carb intake, sugar intake, etc. Correlation isn't necessarily causation.

Reactions: 7 people

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have learnt to experiment. From reading a lot, and especially from this Dr on that website - his videos are amazing - I have learnt what and how the body works.

As for more Egg News - even the American Egg Board which is for promotion of eggs can't tell you they are healthy and good for you - http://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-says-eggs-arent-healthy-or-safe/

I was a Vegan for 1 month and it was great for my body. My cuts and problems pretty much disappeared. Obviously, I am still a Type 1 Diabetic, but the control was so much better.
I have come to the conclusion, a varied diet is best, with little meat and dairy. Personally, I find Dairy to be the main problem in everyday problems. I may eat 1 egg in 2 weeks (just because its been added to food to cook with), I avoid cheese and milk and my meat intake is a lot lower and I feel so much better.

When you see in research that Vegans don't get high blood pressure, heart disease etc there definitely is something in a Plant and Mushroom based diet. Getting over the "sugar" hump from most of the foods we eat is also very hard.

After a week of getting over the hump of diet change, its had a positive effect on me.

I would recommend everyone to change for the positive.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
who da thought..it was an observational, not a causation by a vegan.."observation is that getting older increases your chance of T2 diabetes"
Currently Dr. Greger proudly serves as the Director of Public Health and Animal Agriculture at the Humane Society of the United States.
this is what they think of eggs or any animal product really
http://www.humanesociety.org/search/search-results.html?q=eggs

Michael Greger is a vegan doctor who makes videos promoting a high-antioxidant vegan diet for its health benefits, while warning us of the dangers of phytonutrient-bereft animal products. Greger has said that his childhood inspiration to join the medical profession came from witnessing how Nathan Pritikin’s exercise and low-fat diet program (which is mostly vegan but includes lean meat and seafood) extended his grandmother’s life. But it was Greger’s visceral reaction to a stockyard that made him vegan:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Since I already have type 2 diabetes, I will not worry about how many eggs I eat, just how much carbs.

It's an interesting study, but the amount of eggs people were eating a week could just be coincidental with something else that causes the diabetes.

Have a watch of this video - not trying to scare you, just show you the undisputed facts.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-says-eggs-arent-healthy-or-safe/
and this one - showing how the manipulate evidence
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-the-egg-board-designs-misleading-studies/

But as for everything, the choice is always yours.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pritikin's camp is amazing. I have had friends go there and its changed their life.

All they do though, is what we all have the power to do, eat better foods by understanding how the foods affect our bodies. Not listening to heresays and misconstrued facts that are made to make us consume more bad food. (advertising)

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seriously ...... now I should dump eggs?

I am so annoyed with these conflicting messages:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
take nothing on face value...always spend 1/2 hour on google, sometimes you only need to google : Dr. Greger quack :)

G

graj0

I spent years eating one egg a week because my GP said it was bad for my cholesterol, a myth that even Ancel Keys was aware of in the 50s. Unless I've read the supporting evidence, I see that links are provided, there's no way I, or anyone else could possibly comment. I will not be changing my habits (2 -4 eggs a week) any time soon. I'm sick to death with the rubbish that gets handed out these days, I haven't got the time to check it all out. Thank Christ that the Express hasn't got hold of it, still they were going for the veg diet last week for curing diabetes.

Reactions: 10 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
take nothing on face value...always spend 1/2 hour on google, sometimes you only need to google : Dr. Greger quack :)

I hear ya Jack :)

Just really PI5s me right off. Naturally their evidence rings true ... diabetes only became the issue it now is given we discovered eggs as a food source in the (proverbial) last week.

NOTHING annoys me more than "main chancers", charlatans, frauds and finger wagging lectures with barrows to push.

Best Mike :)

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For 25 years I took the conventional advice that eggs were bad for you. I eat one every morning and

Dr Greger appears on the Dr Oz shows, and that in itself is enough for me to seriously doubt his integrity.

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No dairy, no meat, no eggs, no grains, no starchy veg, no fruit - I guess it's broccoli and mushrooms for me from now on.

Reactions: 15 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
WARNING: EATING FOOD WILL KILL YOU

These are classic studies that are looking at finding a link between specific issues without taking into account the full spectrum of information. The US study doesn't seem to normalise for BMI or other food types eaten and the European one isn't specifically looking at eggs.

Essentially, these studies say "Eating badly* increases the risk of type 2 diabetes".

*Badly means: Highly processed food, high levels of refined carbs, eating far too much (of good and bad foods), etc.

Classic studies written looking at historical data sets taking correlation as cause.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I spent years eating one egg a week because my GP said it was bad for my cholesterol, a myth that even Ancel Keys was aware of in the 50s. Unless I've read the supporting evidence, I see that links are provided, there's no way I, or anyone else could possibly comment. I will not be changing my habits (2 -4 eggs a week) any time soon. I'm sick to death with the rubbish that gets handed out these days, I haven't got the time to check it all out. Thank Christ that the Express hasn't got hold of it, still they were going for the veg diet last week for curing diabetes.

Eggsactly ;)

RRB :)

Reactions: 7 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So now you're telling me that it was the dozen eggs a week, that have so far kept meat <70kg and BMI<22 that casued my T1, not the bout of flu that went on and triggered the rogue Tcells to attack my pancreas.

Dammn, if only I'd have known, I'd have had porridge that morning, not poached eggs on toast.

Reactions: 10 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What about tofu and all that aluminium (that's aluminum for the leftpondians)