Weight loss

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
Hi all I need some advice : I need to lose weight .problem is from the med I am on metformin (2000mg )and basel (28-30 ui) I seam to get very tired . Might also be because I am over weight and have diabetes . My current weight is 139 kg and I am around 1.80 m . I do have a indoor bike I think my biggest problem is I am a student so I don't have a job ( unless you count freelance teaching a job) so I don't really keep active lol. What is the best exersize to do and is there any food that can aid in weight loss ? Thanks all

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi neither the Metformin nor the insulin will be the cause of tiredness; diabetes itself and high blood suagr can increase tiredness. Your nest way forward must be to change your diet to reduce weight. This means substantially reducing the carbs in your diet. Try a target of 150gm/day and see how you go. Go for proteins, veg and fats and keep the carbs way down. Also keep portion sizes sensible. Exercise is good but diet is the key.

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
Hi neither the Metformin nor the insulin will be the cause of tiredness; diabetes itself and high blood suagr can increase tiredness. Your nest way forward must be to change your diet to reduce weight. This means substantially reducing the carbs in your diet. Try a target of 150gm/day and see how you go. Go for proteins, veg and fats and keep the carbs way down. Also keep portion sizes sensible. Exercise is good but diet is the key.
I should point out that my glucose level are most I days between 5-7

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
everyone has their own level of carbs that will trip over to lay them down as fat
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video

For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

blood testing

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

food counting

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Newcastle diet aims in 8+ weeks to mimic the rate of ~70% remission, for surgery T2

“It is now clear that Type 2 diabetes is caused by abnormal fat storage. Research on how this may be reversed is available. “click that link on this page http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/

Lectures

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

American diabetic association ( http://www.professional.diabetes.org/)

http://www.professional.diabetes.org/admin/UserFiles/0 - Sean/dc132042 FINAL.pdf

Evidence is inconclusive for an ideal amount of total fat intake for people with diabetes;

therefore, goals should be individualized; fat quality appears to be far more important than quantity.

In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich eating pattern may benefit

glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi all I need some advice : I need to lose weight .problem is from the med I am on metformin (2000mg )and basel (28-30 ui) I seam to get very tired . Might also be because I am over weight and have diabetes . My current weight is 139 kg and I am around 1.80 m . I do have a indoor bike I think my biggest problem is I am a student so I don't have a job ( unless you count freelance teaching a job) so I don't really keep active lol. What is the best exersize to do and is there any food that can aid in weight loss ? Thanks all

You need to start walking ..... diet's obviously an issue as well ... but get up and use those feet. Nothing dramatic or strenuous , just 10 -15 minute strolls morning and afternoon ... religiously ... and DON'T stop.

Go get some decent shoes, and hit the pavement. Time yourself, take a radio / ipod to relieve the boredom and go do it. I speak from personal experience and I dropped from 90 to 78 in two months. Am I saying this will work for you? No, but it sure won't hurt as at 139
you need to lose that weight and cut down on the carbs. Three things run in tandem ... weight and diet and movement.

good luck

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi hawker,

You got good advice from Mike re the exercise. I think the other factor you may be facing is portion size. You should write down everything you eat and tally up just how many calories a day you are getting from the three macro nutrients. Maybe you will discover that you are "over shooting your allowance".

I did this and managed to lose 40 Kg. Its a bit difficult in the beginning but if you "tough it through" the first three weeks or less it becomes habit. I also stopped snacking between meals and now this is simple also. The big secret, just take it one day at a time .

Hope this helps, and good luck with your efforts.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you have time in your hand so use it to get more active.

Mike's suggestion for walking is an excellent one. You can do it at any time, it does not cost money, you may even save some money on petrol/fares and it will be kind on your knees; a consideration when overweight and starting exercise.

Set yourself targets to challenge yourself. If you have a smartphone then there are pedometer apps that count your daily steps for you or apps that truck, time and record the distance of your walks.

You can also use smartphone to listen to music or take photographs during walks, which relieves boredom.

Walking alone will improve your fitness and make you less tired but you will have to combine with diet to really reduce your weight.

All the best

Pavlos

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
Thanks guys I walk every morning around 8 ish with my dogs. For 15- 30 minits. And same at 7 at night . But as I have time on my hands I think I will increase to during the day

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks guys I walk every morning around 8 ish with my dogs. For 15- 30 minits. And same at 7 at night . But as I have time on my hands I think I will increase to during the day

Well if you're doing that, then great :) Up it by 10 minutes a.m. / p.m. and take a solo walk for around 30 minutes at lunch. Watch your portions and WATCH what you eat !!.

Unless your metabolism is unlike many others, that weight will steadily fall off. You might not see it in the next week or two, but after that, you sure will.

Don't overdo it please ...... just what you know within yourself that you can tolerate. Well done on tackling this mate :)

Mike

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
Thanks with weight loss do I increase my insulin ?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

On that I plead ignorance as I'm type 2 on no insulin. Someone will be along to respond to that issue but I suspect the reply might involve your input from your GP.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome! Have a good read around here as you will find a lot of excellent advice and support! I can't comment re insulin but I'm sure someone will be along who can
For me, going low carb higher fat has given me fantastic results in a short time, both big drops in levels and weight! Walking has been my exercise too and even at home I do extra trips from one room to another when doing jobs, instead of taking everything in one go I make t it two loads!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think T2 is 80% diet and 20% drugs and exercise
It's more than likely you will decrease your insulin as your insulin resistance subsides and the liver and pancreas fat goes, but you test and work that out with the nurse as you go. it's worthwhile spending some time reading and listening to the links above
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
150 gr of carbs ?
Yes, set a target of 150gm/day of carbs. Does that shock you.? Many go way below 50gm/day. I try to stay around 150gm. Although carb reduction does help with blood suagr it's the best way to reduce weight. Fat doesn't make you fat it's the carbs. My wife was overweight but not diabetic but decided also to go low-carb. She has lost a tremendous amount of weight and has never felt healhtier. It required great discipline but unless you have a specific medical condition or on steroids etc it works. Your insulin needs should reduce as your weight goes down.

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed in june it scared the life out of me, not fully understanding the carb situation I never really cut down. I changed to whole meal pasta etc, and totally cut out sweets, biscuits, desserts, dairy food. Made my own wholemeal bread with no added sugar and soups ate only white meat and plenty veg.
I was out walking for around an hour everyday anyway with dogs so that helped. Not only did I bring down my BG dramatically I lost around 2 stones. My wife who (not diabetic) also lost one and a half stone and several ££££s by not buying the offending food.

carlylou2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read a book called Its Starts With Food about the Whole 30 diet which I did and found I lost weight and it improved my control (im t1)

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give the exercise a go!
I'm sure that bike needs some loving attention!

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you tired BEFORE you started the basal injections?? My body could not tolerate levemir or lantus as I became extremely fatigued and exhausted. These stopped when I took myself off lantus and used my daughter's Insulatard then had to complain to hospital to get consultant and DSN to get me off lantus.

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
No the tiredness started when I was put into mettformin and basel insulin .