Newly Diagnosed? One day at a time - Exercise and diet together=results

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
I know I have posted a few times and stated how wonderful I feel and how I have got my BS numbers down in record time. However, I do want to say that my exercise regime has been very modest and not without a little discomfort. I say this because I had a figleaf for exercise where because I played football once a week everyone thought I must be superfit. The reality is that whilst I could do a 2,3 or even 5 meter sprints over the course of a 1.5 hour football game quite a few times I struggled to even walk 200 metres continuously. So I have had to build up to my 2 mile walk each day. I have also had to work on my flexibility as I found my hips and lower back had become quite stiff. Otherwise I get lower back ache which constrains me. However, coupled with the LCHF diet it has given me more energy and each day I am feeling sronger in a much more complete way. So my advice would be just take each day as it comes and step it up as much as you can even if it seems monotonous and tedious at times. I am now jogging and sprinting 300 metres of the near 3000 meters I walk each day. Each day leg strength is improving less lactic and breathing really makes it wonderful to be alive. SLOW AND STEADY WINS YOUR RACE!! NO QUICK FIXES!

Reactions: 4 people

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the encouragement - it can feel like two steps forward and one back with exercise so it's good to see someone making progress.

Reactions: 2 people

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, for reinforcing good messages, I'm newly diagnosed. Tried going walking, but don't feel safe in the dark nights. Wanted to go back to swimming - but prefer to lose another few kgs first Bought myself an exercise bike (with my love 2 shop vouchers - so no Chrissie pressies for anyone else lol), at the moment only on for a few minutes each evening and trying to build up by half a km each day. Finding I have to stop and catch my breath less often, so hopefully in a couple of months I will be able to stay going for 20 minutes at a time. Thanks for your encouragement and confirming that we are not racing/comparing against anyone else - we playing the 'long game' for ourselves.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Thanks, for reinforcing good messages, I'm newly diagnosed. Tried going walking, but don't feel safe in the dark nights. Wanted to go back to swimming - but prefer to lose another few kgs first Bought myself an exercise bike (with my love 2 shop vouchers - so no Chrissie pressies for anyone else lol), at the moment only on for a few minutes each evening and trying to build up by half a km each day. Finding I have to stop and catch my breath less often, so hopefully in a couple of months I will be able to stay going for 20 minutes at a time. Thanks for your encouragement and confirming that we are not racing/comparing against anyone else - we playing the 'long game' for ourselves.
Thanks for the response Donna68 Happy to share good messages that help others.. Trust me I have seen 70 year olds whizzing past me when I have been out for my walks. Because I have always played football I have had this delusion that walking was for whimps. My psychology has now changed completely. Whatever you are whoever you are do what works for you and don't worry about anyone else. I have so much respect now for all the people I see out walking or jogging each morning. Everyone will have their own story. I see one very elderly lady whose head and shoulders are stooped forward who walks at a snail like pace and I say WOW what value must she place on going out for her daily walk. Its excrutiating to watch her because clearly she is struggling to walk but for her it must be very IMPORTANT. The key message is to do what you can but keep doing a bit more each day. The body adjusts and responds.And yes I want a long healthy life with all my organs functioning to their optimum. Good luck with your few minutes each evening, you will find that will build and improve as each days passes.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Thank you for the encouragement - it can feel like two steps forward and one back with exercise so it's good to see someone making progress.
Nancy that is so true, I have days where I think I can't go on, this is too hard, then I place my trust in my body and so far it hasn't failed to deliver. i realise I started giving up on my body too early, using age as my excuse. Now I challenge my mind and my body every day and lo and behold it is responding.

Reactions: 3 people