Singapore airlines nightmare

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I booked a flight with Singapore airlines from London to Manila, and I will be traveling in few days time.

As I am Type1 I contacted the company to ask about clarification on their hand luggage policy.

Over the past few days I have been in contact with Singapore airlines. With each new email they have sent me I have been given a new request, email after email. When I called in today I have been given additional request for me to comply.

I have a letter from diabetic consultant and a doctor confirming that I need to carry insulin, pen injection devices, needles, blood glucose meter, lancets, a finger pricking device, testing strips and GlucaGen hypokit in my hand luggage in order to manage my diabetes safely. It also confirms I need regular injections of insulin and that insulin must not be put into the hold as it may freeze, which would render it inactive. So it covers pretty much everything.

Singapore airline sent me an email requiring for me to go local pharmacy and buy Frio bag and to provide a letter from doctor stating that I need to have Frio bag to keep insulin cool. Day after they have sent me another email asking me how many needles am I going to take on board (taking note that it should be for the duration of the flight only) and asking me to provide the information of the size of all needles that I will carry in my hand luggage. After that I decided to call them and ask about all the requirements, they told me I will need the letter explaining why do I need those needles, prescription as supporting documentation and a “Fit to fly” letter.

I understand there are strict rules on which items are being allowed in cabin baggage, but I feel like the requirements are just over the top. Why didn't they just given me all the information straight away? The last call I made, left me speechless. I really don't know what to think...Am I overreacting?

Has anyone had similar experience? What should I do next?

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I booked a flight with Singapore airlines from London to Manila, and I will be traveling in few days time.

As I am Type1 I contacted the company to ask about clarification on their hand luggage policy.

Over the past few days I have been in contact with Singapore airlines. With each new email they have sent me I have been given a new request, email after email. When I called in today I have been given additional request for me to comply.

I have a letter from diabetic consultant and a doctor confirming that I need to carry insulin, pen injection devices, needles, blood glucose meter, lancets, a finger pricking device, testing strips and GlucaGen hypokit in my hand luggage in order to manage my diabetes safely. It also confirms I need regular injections of insulin and that insulin must not be put into the hold as it may freeze, which would render it inactive. So it covers pretty much everything.

Singapore airline sent me an email requiring for me to go local pharmacy and buy Frio bag and to provide a letter from doctor stating that I need to have Frio bag to keep insulin cool. Day after they have sent me another email asking me how many needles am I going to take on board (taking note that it should be for the duration of the flight only) and asking me to provide the information of the size of all needles that I will carry in my hand luggage. After that I decided to call them and ask about all the requirements, they told me I will need the letter explaining why do I need those needles, prescription as supporting documentation and a “Fit to fly” letter.

I understand there are strict rules on which items are being allowed in cabin baggage, but I feel like the requirements are just over the top. Why didn't they just given me all the information straight away? The last call I made, left me speechless. I really don't know what to think...Am I overreacting?

Has anyone had similar experience? What should I do next?

Take a look at this

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/important-medical-info/

Seems as though they're complicating this way too much.

Mike

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
F*** them.
Quote the Equality Act 2010, and play the disability card for 'reasonable adjustments'

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd also add you're probably entitled to cancel the flight and demand a refund regardless of the ticket purchase conditions.

It appears from their website that you're complying with their "regs" so I don't understand why they're making this so difficult.

No refund, I'd be going for a breach of the Equality Act, and compensation if they keep it up.

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went through all of their instructions and regulations on the website, I have checked Heathrow airport instructions, and as far as I am concerned I am complying with all requirements.

I really don't want to cancel the flight because I'm traveling with my husband and its his first time to see his family after 7 years.

I have filed a complaint to Singapore airlines and I am waiting for their response.

F*** them.
Quote the Equality Act 2010, and play the disability card for 'reasonable adjustments'

Does diabetes qualifies as disability? Sorry if I'm asking a silly question.

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, I am sorry to read this as I am flying with Singapore airlines next March to New Zealand. Think I should start preparing now! I did order a frio bag after the nurse at my GPs recommended it. She said she'll write me a letter next time I see her.

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rang them few weeks ago and they never mentioned anything like this. Few days ago I sent an email to ask if i can bring sharpsafe box in my hand luggage, and that's when everything started.

It takes more than 24 hours to reply to my email, you can call them but they just say the same thing what is written on the website, so there's not much clarification on what you ask.

I am sure I am not the first diabetic travelling with SIA, they must have had experience with these situations. Or I was lucky enough to bump into someone who is not informed properly...

I felt like someone is playing games with me, sitting behind the desk and thinking to himself: What else can I ask her to do???

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope they wont put you through the same agony... Good luck...I suggest you I would start making arrangements straight away

C

chris lowe

The General manager for SA UK is Mr Yeoh Phee Teik e mail [email protected] (secretary/pa?) and see if you have any joy. I would say that they are in breach of the disability discrimination act. Hope the flight eventually goes OK, if not a complaint to Watchdog?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Usually a Dr's or Consultants letter is enough, very surprised the airline is going to such extreme measures, surely they must have numerous people flying with them who have type 1 and type 2 diabetes who inject insulin.

The Frio advice is good advice but most people would be using these products anyway when flying to a warmer climate.

Reactions: 4 people

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The General manager for SA UK is Mr Yeoh Phee Teik e mail [email protected] (secretary/pa?) and see if you have any joy. I would say that they are in breach of the disability discrimination act. Hope the flight eventually goes OK, if not a complaint to Watchdog?

Thank you for this information, I will certainly consider contacting them.

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Frio advice is good advice but most people would be using these products anyway when flying to a warmer climate.

I already have two Frio bags but I believe it's down to me to choose how am I going to store my insulin and I don't think they have the right to ask for a letter confirming I need frio bag to keep it cool...it's my responsibility...

the letter already confirms insulin needs to be kept in hand luggage and must not be put in hold because it will render it inactive...

I hope I have explained myself properly...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I went through all of their instructions and regulations on the website, I have checked Heathrow airport instructions, and as far as I am concerned I am complying with all requirements.

I really don't want to cancel the flight because I'm traveling with my husband and its his first time to see his family after 7 years.

I have filed a complaint to Singapore airlines and I am waiting for their response.

Does diabetes qualifies as disability? Sorry if I'm asking a silly question.

I did google diabetes/disability/flying earlier on, but I couldn't find anything. Disability in the workplace, yes, but taking a trip ??
RRB

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From Equality and Human Rights Commission:

"The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) gives you rights in the way you use services or receive goods. It is unlawful for service providers to treat you less favourably because of your disability, and they must make ‘reasonable adjustments’ for you, such as giving you extra help or changing the way they provide their services. Following changes to the law in 2004, service providers must consider making changes to physical features of their premises so that there are no physical barriers which prevent you from using their services, or make it unreasonably difficult for you to do so."

"Most services are covered by the DDA. Anyone who provides a service to the public or a section of the public is a service provider. There are a few exceptions: private clubs that have a meaningful selection process for members; transport (but only the transport vehicle, not everything else connected with it such as stations, airports and booking facilities); and education."

Does this mean that it doesn't apply to the airline and their requests?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Just ignore them; that's a lot of nonsense; security going in are always very bored when I say I've got diabetic supplies.

Once you are on the airplane no one will ask/care what you are doing.

Best

Dillinger

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never had any issues on my previous flights with Ryanair and I didn't have to give any information in advance. I would always have a letter with me but no one ever bothered reading. Same as you, I have experienced security to be very bored and not very interested after mentioning I've got diabetic supplies. Singapore airlines has informed me that they have made a note with my booking and that they have forwarded the information to all airports in my itinerary...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I already have two Frio bags but I believe it's down to me to choose how am I going to store my insulin and I don't think they have the right to ask for a letter confirming I need frio bag to keep it cool...it's my responsibility...

the letter already confirms insulin needs to be kept in hand luggage and must not be put in hold because it will render it inactive...

I hope I have explained myself properly...

The Dr's letter for the Frio wallet does seem OTT, but the suggestion to buy a Frio wallet to keep insulin cool is worthy of praise IMHO, all too often we have members posting on the forum asking how they can store insulin when travelling abroad.

shoxy86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It wasn't a suggestion...They requested like it's a requirement for me to comply with...

I have bought 2 Frio bags for this purpose soon after booking the flight. In the past I have made a mistake and traveled without it, my insulin got spoiled or inactive and I had high BG. That experience has taught me a lesson. That's why I purchased two wallets straight away after booking the flight. I am going to a country where the temperatures go well above 30 and I want to make sure I don't end up in the same situation.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It wasn't a suggestion...They requested like it's a requirement for me to comply with...

Either way it's good that they are aware of such products to keep insulin cool.