Best cost-effective PC-linkable monitor?

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being a bit of a nerd I'm torn between getting the cheapest decent monitoring system, which seems to be the SD Codefree, or spending a bit more and getting a monitor that can export test data to a PC. I really haven't done much research but I don't want to be tied to additional proprietary software so exporting data in a data/file format that is compatible with an Excel spreadsheet would be required. Can anyone recommend a solution? Thanks!

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @Brunneria has a cable to link the codefree to her pc?

Ah - OK, I saw a comment somewhere else that it was a simple device without a PC interface, although knowing it's a Korean design I guess it would be surprising if it didn't. Will investigate further!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one that looks like a USB stick that plugs straight in to the computer .. But the strips are very expensive .. So I don't use it .. I have never felt the need to connect my meter to the imac as it has a memory in the meter, and I don't let my DBN know I test .. So just make notes in a little black book !
Sorry missed the bit about needing it to work in Microsoft ..

Reactions: 2 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the Codefree cable a USB or old-fashioned RS232 serial type? Does anyone know where I can find a photo of the connectors?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the Codefree cable a USB or old-fashioned RS232 serial type? Does anyone know where I can find a photo of the connectors?
You could email homehealth ?

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is it like a micro usb cable or is it something different that is not available in market?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As it's Korean I expect it will be very modern and standard. I'm surprised it doesn't have WiFi ;-)

Reactions: 4 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have ordered an SD Codefree and it should arrive next week. Getting a feeling that the unit only has an old-fashioned serial interface but I might have the bits to make up a lead of sorts...

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Codefree arrived the next day rather than ETA of early next week (the suppler is fairly local to me) and tests look fine so far :) Will be looking at PC interfacing potential in due course but not really that critical on reflection.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My Codefree arrived the next day rather than ETA of early next week (the suppler is fairly local to me) and tests look fine so far :) Will be looking at PC interfacing potential in due course but not really that critical on reflection.

I tend to record my levels on an excel spreadsheet, so I can have as many headings and different types of data as I wish, and can also convert some of them to graph form. I find it useful to the extent of obsession sometimes, but it helps me manage my levels and helps with motivation.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not just punch in your readings in to your excel program ?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to record my levels on an excel spreadsheet, so I can have as many headings and different types of data as I wish, and can also convert some of them to graph form. I find it useful to the extent of obsession sometimes, but it helps me manage my levels and helps with motivation.
sorry Bluetit our posts arrived together ....

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great minds....... ;)

O yes .. Would have got in before you .. But I am a Mac person so had to change my numbers prog to excel.. Only forgotten what excel was called .... Rambling now .. Where my meter :confused:

AndyH010266

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the iBGStar on my iPhone, cheap to buy and the test strips and lances are available on prescription from my GP. Love it, works great and stores all data in iTunes or on my phone. Got it from Boots

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a Contour Next which will keep approx 3 months worth of readings in its memory and can display information about averages and trends. It also has the option of recording various (pre-programmed) notes (e.g feeling, ill ) against a particular reading. It will connect via a standard usb cable to Bayer's software on your pc, and from this you can also export data in various formats including csv, so you would be able to transfer to excel if you wish. But the software can record and analyze all sorts of data - far more than I, as a type 2, may ever need!

If you want non-proprietary software there are several programs around (some free - ask Google!), but I think you'd you'd need to check about connectivity. And one of our members has also written his own (Java I think) software which he has been kind enough to make available for us to download.

Robbity

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, on reflection I can't see myself doing multiple readings every day - the lancing business is going to see to that; not just the discomfort but my continued difficulty in getting decent sized blood droplets!