Troubles with LCHF

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you fancy asking F Christmas for a steamer? I've got a two-basket electric one whose base is also a frying pan. I can steam entire meals, especially with fish. The base is good for fried breakfasts and the lid stops the fat spitting.

Reactions: 3 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Certainly agree that an electric steamer . It would be of far more use than a Nutribullet. All you are doing with this gadget is processing foods. Far better to eat whatever you eat in a whole state. If you process foods like this you chop them into tiny pieces and make they become far more quickly absorbed, you may derive more of the nutrient but for similar reasons you also derive much more energy from them than you would if you ate them in a less processed state. Excess energy is stored

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Certainly that an electric steamer . It would be of far more use than a Nutribullet. All you are doing with this gadget is processing foods. Far better to eat whatever you eat in a whole state. If you process foods like this you chop them into tiny pieces and make they become far more quickly absorbed, you may derive more of the nutrient but for similar reasons you also derive much more energy from them than you would if you ate them in a less processed state. Excess energy is stored
And there is me thinking "Nutribullet." was some kind of special coffee drink.

Reactions: 4 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you fancy asking F Christmas for a steamer? I've got a two-basket electric one whose base is also a frying pan. I can steam entire meals, especially with fish. The base is good for fried breakfasts and the lid stops the fat spitting.

Certainly agree that an electric steamer . It would be of far more use than a Nutribullet. All you are doing with this gadget is processing foods. Far better to eat whatever you eat in a whole state. If you process foods like this you chop them into tiny pieces and make they become far more quickly absorbed, you may derive more of the nutrient but for similar reasons you also derive much more energy from them than you would if you ate them in a less processed state. Excess energy is stored

Unfortunately for me I won't be able to have a steamer in my halls kitchen flat as its one of their kitchen rules. I've been testing for the past 2 days and my lowest blood sugar was 12.3 last night at 11pm. I had a good healthy breakfast of grilled bacon and fried eggs with 2 hash browns that had 10 grams of carbs each and tested 2 hours later which resulted with a reading of 11.2 and won't be having anything to eat until 5pm as I've got so much uni work to do in the library and it shuts at 4:30pm.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Unfortunately for me I won't be able to have a steamer in my halls kitchen flat as its one of their kitchen rules. I've been testing for the past 2 days and my lowest blood sugar was 12.3 last night at 11pm. I had a good healthy breakfast of grilled bacon and fried eggs with 2 hash browns that had 10 grams of carbs each and tested 2 hours later which resulted with a reading of 11.2 and won't be having anything to eat until 5pm as I've got so much uni work to do in the library and it shuts at 4:30pm.

Are you able to test pre breakfast or brfore you get out of bed as well asthe after breakfast?

The getting up test is vital to give at least a small idea to find out what happens over night.

Tbh, altho you don't want to hypo, for a youngster at uni, you need toget levels a tad lower to eliminate longer term complications..

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you able to test pre breakfast or brfore you get out of bed as well asthe after breakfast?

The getting up test is vital to give at least a small idea to find out what happens over night.

Tbh, altho you don't want to hypo, for a youngster at uni, you need toget levels a tad lower to eliminate longer term complications..

Yes I can, its no problem at all. I just forget to test sometimes.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I tested my levels before I went to bed last night and they were at 7.6, but when I got up and tested I had a level of 12.9 which shocked me quite a bit as I don't have a clue on what could have shot it up that high.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi

You probably also need to do a 3am test to see if you are dropping then getting a liver dump which is shooting your bg levels up by breakfast time.

If you are gradually climbing all night. Then you could look at the times of your basal injections and whether you can up a basal injection by a 1/2 or 1 unit without impacting on your day bg's...

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

You probably also need to do a 3am test to see if you are dropping then getting a liver dump which is shooting your bg levels up by breakfast time.

If you are gradually climbing all night. Then you could look at the times of your basal injections and whether you can up a basal injection by a 1/2 or 1 unit without impacting on your day bg's...

What's a basal injection as the only injection that I take is lixisenatide as I am type 2 and not on insulin.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok, sorry on iphone I cannot find out what type you are.. Sorry, can't read full profiles.

I would in that case ask your health care person whether there is a possibility with increasing your lixenitdie (sorry, can't spell) as going to such an increase in the mornings is not really a good start for a day....or revising your meds slightly.

You need to really be able to gove a full weeks worth of readings for a health person to look at. I would still do a 3am test to see if you are dropping overnight and then shooting up (dawn phenomenom).

You readings so far would indicate to me (if they were mine) to go back to my gp or consultant and ask uf anything could lower them a little..

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've already had my meds increased last Wednesday with my lixisenatide going up to 20mg from 10mg and still waiting to get the prescription from the chemist as they said it would take up to a week for collection. I also have a gym membership, but have been unable to go as i had mole surgery on my neck and a big cut on my leg that is almost healed.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hopefully the increase when you get it will improve your bgs a tad to get them a little lower...

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard that stress can increase BG is this true? Because if it is I don't know what to do to become less stressed out as it is my final year of uni and have been feeling the stress since September.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Well I did the 3am test and my bs level is exactly 21. I am delaying the start on lchf as I do not have much of my student loan to pay for a lchf shopping trip and I think another trip to my gp is due as I keep on hearing my gut moving and churning everyday now for at least two weeks and its got to the point now that instead of passing stools I'm mainly passing gas through both ends. Also I have abdominal pain and is killing me to move. Would exercising on a stationary bike help to alleviate the pain or just make it worse.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that you really must consult your doctor if you have severe abdominal pain and high glucose levels.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good for appt. let us know how you get on.

Levels are too high, well done though on doing a 3am test.

Your stomach needs regular small amounts of food to keep healthy. Stomachs can get incredibly painful if they are not given proper sustenance. I hope that this is the cause and nothing else, but hopefully your go will have listened to you today...and examined you in detail. So hopefully GP has given you advice