Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
@Gudrun

Hey, good to see you again!

Sorry about the carb creep, but it happens to the best of us. And it has happened to me too, often enough.

Glad you are back though! :D

My sister died today. She was a diabetic since 1988 and didn't change what she eat. Often had 6 doughnuts for lunch. She was going blind in the end and died of multiple organ failure.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My sister died today. She was a diabetic since 1988 and didn't change what she eat. Often had 6 doughnuts for lunch. She was going blind in the end and died of multiple organ failure.

I am so so sorry for your loss. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you.

Mike

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am so so sorry for your loss. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you.

Mike
Thank you, Mike. I hasn't quite registered yet, but the lesson is there to learn... we are none of us immortal and must change the NOW in order to improve the future. Her health has been very poor for the last few years. If we want to live well into old age we must implement changes now.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thank you, Mike. I hasn't quite registered yet, but the lesson is there to learn... we are none of us immortal and must change the NOW in order to improve the future. Her health has been very poor for the last few years. If we want to live well into old age we must implement changes now.

I agree completely. I was intending to post something along the lines that her loss should serve as a lesson to us all that if we are to control diabetes, it comes at a cost of sacrifice. I elected not to as this (arguably) isn't the time for that, but I see you've simply echoed my original thoughts in your reply.

Nonetheless, that said, I feel for you greatly .....

Take care won't you. Mike

Reactions: 5 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree completely. I was intending to post something along the lines that her loss should serve as a lesson to us all that if we are to control diabetes, it comes at a cost of sacrifice. I elected not to as this (arguably) isn't the time for that, but I see you've simply echoed my original thoughts in your reply.

Nonetheless, that said, I feel for you greatly .....

Take care won't you. Mike
Thanks, Mike. I'll try and get some sleep now. I went over to see her in Germany just a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad I was able to spend a little time with her.

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Gudrun
My heartfelt commiserations. So sorry for your loss.

Pavlos

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you all. My sister had been very ill for very long. In the end her death meant an end to suffering and so we were all glad when it came.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm very sorry to hear that Gudrun. But as you say in your last post at least she's at peace now.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry to hear that Gudrun. No matter how much of a blessing it is if someone is suffering, it is not easy for those left behind. A salutary lesson to us all that this is a serious disease with serious consequences if we don't face up to it and tackle it. Life is for living - it is up to us to make that living as healthy and enduring as possible.

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 2 and a half pounds in the last 2 weeks:) My fasting BG wasn't so good though (5.7), but I often experience this when I have lost a pound. I don't know why this is, but it does happen to me.

Reactions: 16 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yay! I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 2 and a half pounds in the last 2 weeks:) My fasting BG wasn't so good though (5.7), but I often experience this when I have lost a pound. I don't know why this is, but it does happen to me.

I have read your fasting level can go up, as you metabolise your bodies fat reserves, converting it to glucose which is stored and released by your liver.
And 5.7 is still within a none diabetic level, so it all sounds good. :)

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

So sorry to hear of your sad loss Gudrun,my heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family..Best wishes RRB x

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So very sorry for your news gudrun. RIP to your dear sister and thoughts to you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read your fasting level can go up, as you metabolise your bodies fat reserves, converting it to glucose which is stored and released by your liver.
And 5.7 is still within a none diabetic level, so it all sounds good. :)

Thanks for this Douglas, it looks like you are right. I tested this morning and it was 5.7 again and I have lost a further 2 pounds since I last posted. :)

Reactions: 2 people