so so scared

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi my names jayne and i was diagnosed with type 2 about 7 years ago i never watched my diet and stupidly tried to ignore it and all my glucose blood test came back great anyway for the last couple of month ive not been well i started with blurred vision dry mouth terrible thirst and weight loss so i plucked p the courage to go to the doctors as i had also caught a virus off my husband .Any way i told him my symptoms and he checked my blood and it was 26. and my keetones were high ive now been put on humilin insulin before every meal its 4 units at the moment im back at hospital today .Whats worrying me is my glucose has come down to the teen but my keetones are still high im so worried about everything i have anxiety issues as it is im in a dark place at the moment and really low x

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear about your troubles but at least you are at the right place to receive the care you need and you say your sugars are already coming down.

I am afraid I do not know too much on ketones and I can not offer any guidance or reassurance on that but hopefully as your glucose levels come down so will the ketones.

Try not to worry too much and let the doctors take care of you.

All the best

Pavlos

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear about your troubles but at least you are at the right place to receive the care you need and you say your sugars are already coming down.

I am afraid I do not know too much on ketones and I can not offer any guidance or reassurance on that but hopefully as your glucose levels come down so will the ketones.

Try not to worry too much and let the doctors take care of you.

All the best

Pavlos
thankyou for the reply ive had a antibody blood test to see if im still type 2 or now 1 they said my high reading wouldnt have been helped by having a virus and being stressed lately im only 4 days in to diagnoses and im a wreck x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hope we can help & encourage, Jayne.

I've been type 2 for 14 years & am still in good general health, though I had to change my diet radically when serious complications set in 7 years ago.

Many people contributing to this forum find reducing carbohydrates is the key to good control. I stopped eating bread, potatoes, rice, cake, etc, & increased vegetables & fatty foods. It took 3 months to get completely out of pain & be fully active again.

Now you've accepted your need of help, you are on the way to recovery. Come here with your questions, & you will get both sympathy & answers from fellow diabetics.

Reactions: 7 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thankyou for the reply ive had a antibody blood test to see if im still type 2 or now 1 they said my high reading wouldnt have been helped by having a virus and being stressed lately im only 4 days in to diagnoses and im a wreck x
Did you get the results of your test?
A virus and stress both increase glucose as you say.

Pavlos

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Good to welcome you to the forum. You really will find a lot of support and help here.
I'm newly diagnosed (about 2 months) and started with really high blood glucose levels as you can see below.
With your ketones remaining high it may mean that you are type 1 rather than type 2, but as an early comment said, you are in the right place ad doing the right thing now.
I also had problems with my vision as my glucose levels came down - quite a dramatic deterioration for a couple of weeks! But it sorted itself out just fine - but do remember to mention it if it is still concerning you.
Yes, it is confusing and some people do find it really worrying at first, but keep talking to us and there are many more experienced and knowledgeable people here than me who will be able to offer some help.
Take care,
You are not on your own,
BeeGee

Reactions: 3 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been Type 1 for 6years now and I remember when i was first diagnosed my reading was 27. so from what you've written you do sound like you're Type 1 rather than Type 2 BUT don't let that panic and worry you! As Stress, worry and panic do make blood sugars got erratic and can affect Keetone readings. You are in the right hands with the doctors! They do know what they are doing and they will help you! When my blood sugars drop from being high my eyesight does go a little fizzy but it does sort itself out! Its your body readjusting. If you're ever worried then you have every right to ring someone and ask their opinion or even ask one of the people on here!

The one bit of advice I will give you is that you SHOULDN'T panic and worry! The doctors do know what theyre doing.
I hope this helps a little bit?

:) x

Reactions: 3 people

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys ive just got back from hospital they are treating me for type 1 but because ive got a virus and have been very stressed and not eating properly they sai that could contribute to the ketones so we will see either way im on insulin for life they have changed my insulin for a fast acting one novorapid and a background insulin called levimir to take morning and evening and i have to go back net thursday the nurse was very helpful and did put my mind at ease abit x

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks guys ive just got back from hospital they are treating me for type 1 but because ive got a virus and have been very stressed and not eating properly they sai that could contribute to the ketones so we will see either way im on insulin for life they have changed my insulin for a fast acting one novorapid and a background insulin called levimir to take morning and evening and i have to go back net thursday the nurse was very helpful and did put my mind at ease abit x

Have you got a log book / diary? Makesure you test regularly (always before you drive, if you do drive) and write all foods down , times of injections and doses.

I am so sorry that you are being treated as a T1, and it is **** hard to get your head around....however, when balanced you should be able to eat anything providing you bolus.... And not be restricted like T2's can be.

Anxiety around it all will diminish.

Has anyone talked to you about carb counting or a dafne course?

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got a log book / diary? Makesure you test regularly (always before you drive, if you do drive) and write all foods down , times of injections and doses.

I am so sorry that you are being treated as a T1, and it is **** hard to get your head around....however, when balanced you should be able to eat anything providing you bolus.... And not be restricted like T2's can be.

Anxiety around it all will diminish.

Has anyone talked to you about carb counting or a dafne course?
thanks for your reply my nurse told me type 1 diabetes is better to control when you get used to it as type 2 can be a bit more restricted in diet she says if i am type 2 i will still have to stay on insulin anyway but i would still rather be type2 yes my nurse told me of a book to get online called carbs and calories so im going to get it and yes i have got a log book to fill its all so complicated

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its only complicated till you get your head round it.
I cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weekswhen diagnosed T1 30+ years ago... But then it was a case of doing or dying....
The carbs n cal book is brilliant..
Make sure you write down your foods thoroughly.. Every gram...

We'll support you all the way.. Much bettsr than being by yourself as I was 30 years ago..

You can do it... You need now to wipe the word "can't" out of your mental dictionary.....

Reactions: 2 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Donnellysdogs!!

What do you mean by a carbs n cal book?
Have I missed out on something?!

Thanks

BeeGee

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1417124126.121019.jpg

Chris P Bacon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi :)

I was 24.9 with high keystones at dx no virus and I'm type 2

Once I changed my ways it took a fair while... Maybe 2 weeks to get low teens... Maybe a month to see single figures and 2 months to have consistanly normal bg's

Have a look at the forum at the ways people control it

Carbs carbs carbs

Best of luck

Reactions: 7 people

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thankyou everyone i feel a little better today and thankyou very much chris thats very encouraging

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thankyou everyone i feel a little better today and thankyou very much chris thats very encouraging

How dod you get on at hospital?

Have you had a carb n dose adjustment course suggested to you, or seen a dietitian?

You need flexibility with food and doses as you shouldn't have to be restricted.. As this makes for misery

You will get there, but educstion and help from the nhs is restricted. Do think about eating lower carbs and higher fats..