NHS Exemption card/certificate.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mat1uk unless you have one of the other conditions that makes you exempt then you shouldn't be eligible

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your DN is misinformed - the regulations state diet controlled diabetics are not eligible

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I guess I was lucky, when my Doctor first prescribed the metformin, she got out the exemption form, filled what she need to in and gave it me to show to the Chemist, where I was give the tablets for free straight off and just told that they could only really do it the once so I would have to fill in what I need to and send it off straight away. The card came quickly and I haven't had to pay for prescriptions since.

I had to pay for my first lots of Meds but I have to take the receipt back to the chemist with my now issued exemption card and I will get a refund. I was given the form to fill in when I was first diagnosed, only took them about 10 days to process the form and send me a card back.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Then I guess I'm the lucky one ;-)

Just be careful though, as you may not be legally entitled and could cause possible problems.

Exemption's should be given to those who are really entitled to it, looks like DSN has made a mistake ?

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately @mat1uk - it hasn't stopped the NHS from taking people to court to get the money back from patients who are claiming wrongly... there was a case in the paper just recently about this..

mat1uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so just to be certain I just phoned my practice and because I'm on meds for high BP and that can be linked to my diabetes that's why I'm exempt. I'm not going to rock the boat anymore than that.

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm waiting for mine to arrive I have been paying for my prescriptions for 2 months and been to my doctors 3 times,I saw on here I should be entitled so next time I went I asked for form got it signed and now waiting for it.

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know how I can get one please? So annoying paying for all my medication, Im on low income too. Im NOT a cheapskate
I have a medical exemption card which you should get if your medication is for your diabetes. Mine lasts for 7 years although I won't need it when it runs out next time as I will be over 60 and will get free prescriptions anyway. Mind you they have put up the retirement age so whats to say they won't stop free prescriptions for over 60's. Definitely ask your GP or DNS about getting a medical exemption card. My GP told me about it as soon as I had to take medication for my diabetes so I am surprised yours didn't tell you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Putting up the age to 65 and beyond is something that is being considered...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

carb addict

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
you need to be on medications for the diabetes itself not an associated condition. I have blood pressure meds too and had to still pay when diet controlled. You qualify when you hit the metformin or stuff. Or have thyroxine tablets

Reactions: 4 people