New Egg Research for Diabetes - Not good news!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Swings and roundabouts, this is from Wikipedia:
Type 2 diabetes
Studies have shown conflicting results about a possible connection between egg consumption and type two diabetes. A 1999 prospective study of over 117,000 people by the Harvard School of Public Health concluded, in part, that "The apparent increased risk of CHD associated with higher egg consumption among diabetic participants warrants further research."[42] A 2008 study by the Physicians' Health Study I (1982–2007) and the Women's Health Study (1992–2007) determined the “data suggest that high levels of egg consumption (daily) are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.”[43] However, a study published in 2010 found no link between egg consumption and type 2 diabetes.[44] A meta-analysis from 2013 finds that each 4 eggs per week that are added to the diet increase the risk of diabetes by 29%.[45] Another meta-analysis from 2013 also supported the idea that egg consumption may lead to an increased incidence of type two diabetes mellitus.[46]

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And of course the punch line in these studies is always "more work needs to be done..." ie increased grants and budgets.

Reactions: 6 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Presumably no correlation between eating a lot of eggs and eating a lot of everything else?
That is, if you go with the premise that fat people eat a lot of everything (and that is not something that I am stating) then on average they are likely to eat more eggs along with more of everything else.
Possibly more important is the proportion of their total consumption that consists of eggs.

I've now narrowed my diet down to:
Bullet resistant coffee (that is coffee, butter, and double cream) for the fats and oils.
Stout (because if they give it to nursing mothers then it must be good for you).

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 4 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
One of the fattest people I know personally is a vegan - we call him the fruit bat he eats so many apples and bananas.

Reactions: 7 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
This is interesting regarding a vegan diet for type 2:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2014...-to-improve-diabetes-management-92290400.html

Especially this part at the end:

Diet caution
Tracy Kelly, head of clinical care at Diabetes UK, was keen to urge caution with this approach, however.

"Longer studies have also shown that eating a vegetarian diet does not consistently improve glycemic control or reduce risk of heart disease, except where energy intake was restricted and people lost weight."

If following such a diet, low amounts of carbohydrates, which can lead to weight gain, should not be consumed, while a strong intake of vegetables should be the foundation of your diet.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If they ate just eggs (no drinks).. Literally nothing but eggs then it could be a valid tudy...if done over a life time study from 0-70 years...

What a load of old tosh..

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Presumably no correlation between eating a lot of eggs and eating a lot of everything else?
That is, if you go with the premise that fat people eat a lot of everything (and that is not something that I am stating) then on average they are likely to eat more eggs along with more of everything else.
Possibly more important is the proportion of their total consumption that consists of eggs.

I've now narrowed my diet down to:
Bullet resistant coffee (that is coffee, butter, and double cream) for the fats and oils.
Stout (because if they give it to nursing mothers then it must be good for you).

Cheers

LGC
that sounds like the basis for a diet for life, most nutrients and coffee to keep you awake with alcohol to put you back to sleep.

If you pour the coffee right, no one will know the difference

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is interesting regarding a vegan diet for type 2:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2014...-to-improve-diabetes-management-92290400.html

Especially this part at the end:

Diet caution
Tracy Kelly, head of clinical care at Diabetes UK, was keen to urge caution with this approach, however.

"Longer studies have also shown that eating a vegetarian diet does not consistently improve glycemic control or reduce risk of heart disease, except where energy intake was restricted and people lost weight."

If following such a diet, low amounts of carbohydrates, which can lead to weight gain, should not be consumed, while a strong intake of vegetables should be the foundation of your diet.

You have got to be kidding me, vegans should eat predominantly vegetables?

No sh!t Sherlock

:banghead:

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never eaten an egg other than when it's been added to something else and as I never liked cakes I've probably eaten very little egg at all. Horrible things and smelly as well! And I still got T2! :(

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol. It's funny. I didn't really eat eggs UNTIL I was diagnosed diabetic. My father who was diagnosed Type 2 about 10 years ago, hates eggs and still doesn't eat them.

I'm just waiting for the backlash for the confectionery and baking industry and while I'm thinking of it - eggs are used in a lot of processed food so there's going to be a lot of unhappy manufacturers .

Next - Breathing Air too much causes Diabetes!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have I got this right?
egg eating was rampant before the 1970's and T2 was low, after the 1970's they cut eggs because of cholesterol and there has been a massive rise in T2
but it wasn't all the eggs before, it's the few eggs after that's the problem and caused a massive jump in T2...yep sounds like 'good science' to me

Reactions: 12 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
smilie013.gif
have I got this right?
egg eating was rampant before the 1970's and T2 was low, after the 1970's they cut eggs because of cholesterol and there has been a massive rise in T2
but it wasn't all the eggs before, it's the few eggs after that's the problem and caused a massive jump in T2...yep sounds like 'good science' to me
CORRECT !!!!. You must be a research doctor type person. WOW how clever.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Back in the 70's you got decent fresh eggs.
Now they're cheap mass produced things full of chemicals from the feed.

Reactions: 3 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back in the 70's you got decent fresh eggs.
Now they're cheap mass produced things full of chemicals from the feed.
Mine come from a farm less than 10 miles away. I frequently cycle past it on my weekend rides, and just have a quick check that the chickens are stilll smiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mine come from a farm less than 10 miles away. I frequently cycle past it on my weekend rides, and just have a quick check that the chickens are stilll smiling

When I worked at a kennels many years ago,out in the countryside, my mum gave me money to buy fresh eggs and nearly every one had a double yoke, even then, in the 1970's, we managed to get BOGOF :)
I still like eggs, such a versatile food,
RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Lol. It's funny. I didn't really eat eggs UNTIL I was diagnosed diabetic. My father who was diagnosed Type 2 about 10 years ago, hates eggs and still doesn't eat them.

I'm just waiting for the backlash for the confectionery and baking industry and while I'm thinking of it - eggs are used in a lot of processed food so there's going to be a lot of unhappy manufacturers .

Next - Breathing Air too much causes Diabetes!
Ahhh, it could well be, NOT the right type of air ;) :p