McDonald's

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This isn't about whether it's healthy for you or not, we all know fast food in large volumes has consequences.

I only get one probably every few months. Previously when I got something they had all the nutritional info on the packet/box which was great because it included Carbs. I was in a rush last night and got a McDonalds and noticed that they've changed this info and no longer includes Carbs! Calories, Salt, Saturates, Sugars but no longer any Carbs,

I was raging!

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The big insert sheet that they put on the tray has all of the info for pretty much everything on the reverse of it. Not that I eat there or anything ;)

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The big insert sheet that they put on the tray has all of the info for pretty much everything on the reverse of it. Not that I eat there or anything ;)

I volunteer tomorrow to go and check they haven't removed the carb info from the tray sheets!!!! (I got one inset sheet years ago stuck in handbag from when we had no kitchen)...but I do volunteer to get another!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Actually our little town is going to the the first in Northants to encourage D for diabetic suitable to be put on menus in all restaurants and pub menus. The inspectors giving food ratings in these premises have also been made aware of the necessity of pumps in pubs to be 100% diet coke if they dispense through one nozzle etc and for the tubing etc to be 100% clean and sugar free.....

However, my concern is how they ate going to classify food as diabetic friendly on menu's in these places.....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What does "Diabetic Friendly" really mean? T1 friendly would just tell you the amount of carbs so you know how much insulin to take...

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What does "Diabetic Friendly" really mean? T1 friendly would just tell you the amount of carbs so you know how much insulin to take...

So agree... The inspectors are trying to get restaurants to put a "D" against items on a menu.....the only items I could think of is an omelette or water... Or steak and salad.. But as they all pile chips,rice or pasta on everything then it's hardly going to be D friendly....

Last edited by a moderator:

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
I think that's a crazy idea, What is Diabetic friendly Not all Diabetics are on Low Carb for example.
A diabetic can consume Sugar etc.
Each of us gets to know what they are prepared, to eat, and the expected results, and by looking at a menu, I can choose what I consider to be Friendly to me ?
;)

Reactions: 11 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Thought as much, McDonald's were one of the first fast food chains to include the nutritional information for their products, couldn't imagine they would stop including it now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

The trouble there is the portion size, as we know it can vary with each meal depending on server who plates the food up, eating out and carb counting is always going to be guess work and never as reliable as eating at home where you can weigh the food beforehand.

Reactions: 4 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Every thing you need to know is in Carbs and Cals under Takeaways then scroll down to McDonalds there is a mobile app as well saves carting book around with you :)

A

AnnieC

The trouble there is the portion size, as we know it can vary with each meal depending on server who plates the food up, eating out and carb counting is always going to be guess work and never as reliable as eating at home where you can weigh the food beforehand.
Exactly Noblehead we will never be able to go with whatever they may say is D friendly...it would probably just mean lower sugar anyway as low carbs would not mean anything to them and why should it Why would we expect eateries to cater for us especially if they did that they would have to cater for every type of diet Every place every portion size and every diabetic is different and we all eat differently so it would be impossible for eating places to do diabetic friendly meals we just have to tweak what they have to suit ourself

Reactions: 3 people
A

AnnieC

So agree... The inspectors are trying to get restaurants to put a "D" against items on a menu.....the only items I could think of is an omelette or water... Or steak and salad.. But as they all pile chips,rice or pasta on everything then it's hardly going to be D friendly....
No such thing as a universal diabetic friendly meal we all eat different things so it is not realistic

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't imagine McD would have removed the info from the tray sheets; extremely useful with doughnuts being quite good! The 'D' thing can only fail and isn't needed as long as carbs are listed. I can just imagine all the low-fat high-carb stuff being given a 'D'. What we need to do is change the silly traffic light system.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer Burger King . Wendy's was really good but now not in the uk. Wimpy anyone ??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I prefer Burger King . Wendy's was really good but now not in the uk. Wimpy anyone ??

Wimpy? Now you're showing your age!! Haven't seen one of them for 30 years!!