Blood sugar level testing

gazza1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to ask so many questions, jut new at this. How often should you test you blood sugar level when first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes ?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi garza, test am on getting up and before eating( fasting) and 1 and 2 hrs post meals to see what affects your blood sugar levels, and any time you feel hot, it also helps to keep a record of what you had eaten ( and how much) this will help you pinpoint any food that sends your blood sugars high, then you can adjust accordingly, welcome to the forum

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm new to this too. I test every morning without fail before eating anything. Then I test just before a meal, and 2 hours after. I don't test after every meal now - if my fasting one was high then I test after breakfast, but I have the same thing for breakfast every day, and then do the same journey so whilst it can vary a little - I'm confident that what I'm eating is okay.

I test every time I eat something 'new' ie this week I had my first potatoes in 5 weeks (roast). I know that the portion I had and the fact I went on my exercise bike after dinner made it ok to eat them. I will test them again if/when I next have potatoes. I test the 'new' foods 2 or 3 times to see if it fluctuates alot. I work in an office so I now know that what I take to work the portions/the snacks are right for the amount of energy I am using.

This week I have been testing more as I have been unwell, and my boss understands if I say I need to go for a walk (her mother has diabetes), so when I had a couple of spikes I was able to get them back under control (when I say spikes it was 7.9 - which gives me a headache).

Hope this helps - I've also had to learn to eat more regularly - if I use too much/leave a longer gap between eating then my bloods seem to go up (the liver releases sugar if it thinks you are too low). I'm not an expert - but have read what the nurse gave me, plus all the advise from the great people on here. Good luck.