3 year old possible type 1 ,advice pls

xclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi their really looking for some advice and reassurance please. My 3 year old son recently had a blood sugar test by chance and it came back at 13.5 based on this the next day I was sat down and told he had diabetes ,the doctors explained the insulin my son would need and then done another bm test where it came back at 3 so they decided to monitor him and we are doing bm from home during today it's pretty standard ranging between 4.3 and 5.5 it was 4.8 at 2pm but then at 5pm it's shot up to 8.5 but he hasn't eaten anything since 11.50 looking at my son's food record from nursery .I have given him his dinner and going to test him again in afew hours .I'm so new to this and haven't a clue what's normal but worried sick based on tudays readings have I reason for concern ??? I dint know anybody with diabetes and although I know we need to monitor him all week but would really like to have a rough guide of what to possibly expect any advice would really be appreciated

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I'm a Type 2 so I can't really advise you sorry
But I'll bump your post up and hopefully one of the type 1s will be along shortly to help you out.
There's some great people on here and I'm sure someone will be able to help

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@xclare

It is usual to test first thing in the morning before breakfast then two hours after breakfast. Then immediately before lunch and again two hours after lunch. So it is immediately before any meal and two hours after. Use a new lancet every time you draw a sample of blood. With a new lancet you may even be able to draw blood without waking your son.

Keep a food diary to record everything that is eaten and also note down the time of eating and the time and result of every blood test. A pattern of the effect of the foods eaten will emerge.

Make sure you have adequate supplies of test strips and lancets.

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My son has type 1 diabetes and mu advice to you is to monitor his blood glucose about 4 times a day
Start by checking his sugar level 1st thing in the morning, lunchtime, mid evening & before he goes to bed

This will give you a better idea

As long as the sugar levels is between 4-8 your child should be fine

I hope your child does not have diabetes

Try to stay calm, its easier said than done

Reactions: 4 people

xclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you it has been between their except for one and we have only had one reading of 8.5 and we have been monitoring for 3 days now . We are hoping it's something else but it's very hard to stay positive especially after the doctor at first said he definitely had it because his a and e reading was above 13 . I had never paid much attention to diabetes in the past but now I feel for siufferers and especially young children and their parents ,you just don't realise how serious a condition it is until it might be affectingyou personally x

Reactions: 2 people

Carl G

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Clare,

I am in hospital with my 1 year old who has just been diagnosed with type 1 but also had something called DKA which I would not wish on any child or parent, hence joining this forum. Luckily after 3 days she is in recovery. Not to scare you but as I am with the very best professionals for diabetes in children in London hopefully my experience will be of some help/comfort - but I am far from an expert.

Firstly, I am told 4-8 is entirely normal and in the very young up to 10 is tolerable. Blips above this can be caused by all sorts of sugars (dairy and fruit on top of where you might expect) - what we call a sugar rush(?).

My daughter is currently at over 25 if that gives you any comfort.

Secondly, even if your child does have diabetes (and I hope not!) Early medical monitoring and treatment will have saved him/her from what we have just been through. It sounds as though your doctor is on top of it either way so keep following his/her advice.

Final thought- do not Google! Too much scary misinformation and, in the event that you are looking at diabetes, every child's treatment is bespoke - take it a step at a time and the experts will be there with the information you need for your child if they are needed.

Good luck.

Reactions: 6 people

Carl G

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Breaking my own advice.... Do check out the symptoms for DKA. If you see these get to A&E without hesitation.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you it has been between their except for one and we have only had one reading of 8.5 and we have been monitoring for 3 days now . We are hoping it's something else but it's very hard to stay positive especially after the doctor at first said he definitely had it because his a and e reading was above 13 . I had never paid much attention to diabetes in the past but now I feel for siufferers and especially young children and their parents ,you just don't realise how serious a condition it is until it might be affectingyou personally x
when are you reporting back to the dr's? going by your home numbers, the 13 seems to have been a blip. If your are seeing 4's and don't see 11's, it's very unlikely to be anything diabetes. If it was my child, I would be very happy with the numbers
over the weekend, don't be hesitant to ring A&E or nhs 24/7 for advice on anything you're uncertain about,

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Clare,

I am in hospital with my 1 year old who has just been diagnosed with type 1 but also had something called DKA which I would not wish on any child or parent, hence joining this forum. Luckily after 3 days she is in recovery. Not to scare you but as I am with the very best professionals for diabetes in children in London hopefully my experience will be of some help/comfort - but I am far from an expert.

Firstly, I am told 4-8 is entirely normal and in the very young up to 10 is tolerable. Blips above this can be caused by all sorts of sugars (dairy and fruit on top of where you might expect) - what we call a sugar rush(?).

My daughter is currently at over 25 if that gives you any comfort.

Secondly, even if your child does have diabetes (and I hope not!) Early medical monitoring and treatment will have saved him/her from what we have just been through. It sounds as though your doctor is on top of it either way so keep following his/her advice.

Final thought- do not Google! Too much scary misinformation and, in the event that you are looking at diabetes, every child's treatment is bespoke - take it a step at a time and the experts will be there with the information you need for your child if they are needed.

Good luck.
just to wish your daughter the best..it had to have nearly driven you nuts with worry the last few days...I'm glad she's turned the corner and is improving. they will sort the doseage and she will be back to her old self in a few days :)
if it's any consolation, kids seem to adapt a lot quicker than the parents to diabetes

xclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone , and I really hope your daughter is back to her healthy self again soon Carl. My son had excruciating stomach pain on the Monday night then his lips started going purple ,by the time we got him too hospital he was still in soomuch pain and then started to throw up and pass out .they took blood and done glucose checks but no one spoke to us till the next day and explainf the 13 score . However we are concerned that something is wrong as in the last few months his gone from being dry to wetting himself at nursery 4-5 times a day ,we have had in the last months nd half lots of stomach pains and sickness happening roughly every fortnight also the wetting himself dies down when he throws up then over time picks up again . Their definitely something not right but we are really hoping it's something less serious than diabetes and his levels are looking good at the moment .but thank you so much all of you x

Carl G

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Clare,

Ask for a keytone test (blood is more accurate than urine). If levels are high then it is diabetes.... And your son will get a lot sicker if it is not dealt with.

I was told that the cells that produce insulin naturally do not all just switch off but can slow down or partially stop. The body produces keytones in response but these cause dangerous acidity. And you describe symptoms that are familiar..... Get the test. One way or another it will be a route to recovery.

I was relieved to have a diagnoses. At least if you know what it is then you can deal with it and start making your child better (even if never cured)

The very best of luck Clare as your son must be having a horrible time.

xclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He did have ketones in his wee when we were at the hospital but they got him to drink lots and they slowly went down

Carl G

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Clare,
My understanding is that
Insulin produced by the body flushes out naturally occurring keytones. If the keytone levels are high then your son is not producing enough.... Suggesting diabetes - even if he is producing some.

I guess that you are on this forum due to mothers intuition- follow that feeling as it is probably right and push to see the experts. I do not see why the doctors would wait for your son to get worse before they act.

I am taking the view that after we have got our daughter well that living with this will just be part of the routine and it does not stop anyone leading a normal life. Little you can do of course if you do not know for sure but diabetes cannot be seen as the end of the world.

xclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the unknown is what's doing us in. Yesterday our son hardly ate and refused to then had a level of 7.3 today he woke up with 4.1 at 10.00 it was 5.8 and then just before 3 was 5.6 it's really confusing to us as that seems normal to me but I just don't know . We go back to the nurse tomorrow at 11 but even if they say his ok I think I'm gonna push to have him monitored for a whole month aswell as urine and blood tests

Carl G

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Exactly. Once you know, at least you can help him. I wish you the very best tomorrow.