new job

les.smart

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have just started a new job ( i work from 1 pm to 10 pm) and this is causing me problems the next morning with my diabetes. i was wondering what i can do to get my hours changed even tho it is not affecting me whilst i am at work

C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Lot's of Type1s do shift work and will be able to help if you clarify the problems that you are experiencing.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what problems is it causing.......?

on MDI regime you should be ale to work it successfully.....:)

les.smart

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
basically my eating and sleeping patterns haven't changed, my blood sugar is around 8 when i go to bed but when i wake up in the morning im in/having a hypo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
basically my eating and sleeping patterns haven't changed, my blood sugar is around 8 when i go to bed but when i wake up in the morning im in/having a hypo

If your active in your work then you might need to snack before bed or reduce your basal dose.

les.smart

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have worked shift before with no problems so i am thinking that stress could be a factor in this aswell

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i have worked shift before with no problems so i am thinking that stress could be a factor in this aswell

Stress, as a general rule tends to increase bg levels, you have to remember Les that insulin doses are not set in stone and they do change from time-to-time.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Can anybody tell what are the possible risks for a T2 non insulin dependent diabetes pataient at work ( at managerial level job) ?

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
Can anybody tell what are the possible risks for a T2 non insulin dependent diabetes pataient at work ( at managerial level job) ?
I have worked as a shift manager for the last 6 months, working the late shift, my haba1c is the same as it was last year 5.3 so it does not seem to affect me.
Mark

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have worked as a shift manager for the last 6 months, working the late shift, my haba1c is the same as it was last year 5.3 so it does not seem to affect me.
Mark

The same as Mark above Les. I have worked shifts and lates most of my life and I am in a senior post right now.

I work 9 - 5 now but my control is fundamentally the same with no real change. Certainly hasn't caused any problems.

Welcome Les

Dusty13

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My husbands new job is 3am - 10.30am and he is suffering far too many hypos in his sleep now, I thought he should reduce his basal dose as he is more active?? He is having 2 short sleeps a day as opposed to 1 8 hour sleep and he is blaming this???

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My husbands new job is 3am - 10.30am and he is suffering far too many hypos in his sleep now, I thought he should reduce his basal dose as he is more active?? He is having 2 short sleeps a day as opposed to 1 8 hour sleep and he is blaming this???

Doesn't materr whats to blame in a sense... Its getting round it and lowering basal may be correct but if eating patterns have shifted too then it could be bolus....

Dusty13

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Doesn't materr whats to blame in a sense... Its getting round it and lowering basal may be correct but if eating patterns have shifted too then it could be bolus....
His eating pattern hasnt change too much really its just the sleeping pattern and obviously being more active but I thin he is stressing about it now which wont be helping

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I say about eating because if his body is sleeping at different times then it may be that it could be bolus..
Ie if he getting home at say 11am but eating before he goes for a 4 hr sleep then it could well be his bolus from that eating that needs to be reduced.

It is stressful.. And it also depends on what his readings are like during his work and other times...

It needs a couple days of good testing to get patterns of how new job and hours and sleep are affecting him.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just thinking to.. Some consultants like us T1's to be running on a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio of bolus and basal ratio..
If your hubby has been reducing basal ut may mean that his bolus needs to be changed if it has gone out of kilter to what used to work..
Ie Today my basal has been 14.8 units and my bolus has been 15.2. So just about 50/50 ratio....

Its really about doing a good few tests and writing down times, qtys etc and analysing them.

Reactions: 2 people