Foods that you thought would spike you surprisingly dont

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
You mean you are 6, or even 8 hours without eating any carbs? And your BG is high?
Yes.

Interesting. That's the exact opposite of what I've been told. I've been warned, by my doctor and other diabetics, that I must eat something (meaning carbs) every 3 hours, to avoid hypo.
For a type 1 (i.e. me) that would be bad advice.
For a type 2 using insulin (i.e. you) I'm not sure but suspect it's still bad advice.

And I can already confirm it from my own experience - e.g. today I was on a business trip and I had dinner 6 hours after lunch (a steak with white rice, BG 7.5 two hours later), without any snack in between, and without any tests. My BG plummeted to 2.9. So to deliberately skip meals or snacks just to do these kinds of tests seem like a dangerous hazard to me.
If your BG plummets it's because you have taken too much insulin for the carb content of your meal or you are using too much background insulin.
Get your insulin to carb ratio correct and you will not need to snack between meals.

But if you eat other carbs in the meantime, how do you know it's rice, or whatever you ate those 6 or 8 hours ago?
Patterns - If I see a similar rise at a similar time each and every time I eat rice and do not see a similar rise if I don't eat rice then I can be certain the rice caused the rise.

Besides, there are so many other factors that influence BG - how much you drink during the day, if you have physical activity, if you're stressed or calm, etc.. How can you be sure it's that food's fault, if your BG is higher?
I don't understand how readings 6-8 hours on can be attributed to a specific food so much earlier.
Again - patterns.
For the past couple of months I have been using a FreeStyle Libre which records my glucose level every 15 minutes - it's very easy to see patterns developing using this device.

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Yes.

For a type 2 using insulin (i.e. you) I'm not sure but suspect it's still bad advice.

If your BG plummets it's because you have taken too much insulin for the carb content of your meal or you are using too much background insulin.
Get your insulin to carb ratio correct and you will not need to snack between meals.

Patterns - If I see a similar rise at a similar time each and every time I eat rice and do not see a similar rise if I don't eat rice then I can be certain the rice caused the rise.

Again - patterns.
For the past couple of months I have been using a FreeStyle Libre which records my glucose level every 15 minutes - it's very easy to see patterns developing using this device.
It is better to find trends with bg readings rather than individual readings taken on their own

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes.

Ah, okay, my fault - you're adjusting your insulin dose. It seems we should both learn not to generalise. :D Because not everyone is like that, you know. I don't adjust my insulin dose. I have a fixed dose of insulin and I take a fixed number of carb units. It's true that if you take several injections of rapid-acting insulin, or if you have an insulin pump, you count your dose and you don't risk hypo if you skip your meal. However, anyone with long-lasting insulin, or pre-mixed e who don't adjust their dose before and after meals, should avoid skipping meals. That includes Type 1 as well. I know several Type 1 diabetics (I joined the diabetic association in my country) who must eat every 3 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sable_Jan

Thanks @logindetaills you've helped my understanding a lot (esp as a non-insulin user). I've not been testing all that long in terms of seeing a pattern develop for long range spikes.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Ah, okay, my fault - you're adjusting your insulin dose. It seems we should both learn not to generalise. :D Because not everyone is like that, you know.
Too true :) - sorry.
I don't adjust my insulin dose. I have a fixed dose of insulin and I take a fixed number of carb units. It's true that if you take several injections of rapid-acting insulin, or if you have an insulin pump, you count your dose and you don't risk hypo if you skip your meal. However, anyone with long-lasting insulin, or pre-mixed e who don't adjust their dose before and after meals, should avoid skipping meals. That includes Type 1 as well. I know several Type 1 diabetics (I joined the diabetic association in my country) who must eat every 3 hours.
My opinion for what it's worth:
Fixed dose insulin regimes are ok on a short term basis for newly diagnosed diabetics while they come to terms with the disease. However, fixed dosing is a very poor way of controlling blood sugar levels (especially high levels) so should be retired in favour of flexible dosing at the earliest opportunity.
I am surprised that you say you know several type 1's who need to eat every 3 hours - is this the usual method for treating diabetes in Slovakia - do your health care professionals promote carbohydrate counting + flexible insulin doses at all?

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Too true :) - sorry.

My opinion for what it's worth:
Fixed dose insulin regimes are ok on a short term basis for newly diagnosed diabetics while they come to terms with the disease. However, fixed dosing is a very poor way of controlling blood sugar levels (especially high levels) so should be retired in favour of flexible dosing at the earliest opportunity.
I am surprised that you say you know several type 1's who need to eat every 3 hours - is this the usual method for treating diabetes in Slovakia - do your health care professionals promote carbohydrate counting + flexible insulin doses at all?
I joined a diabetic association, and there are few people who really have to eat every few hours. Of course, there are also others who have flexible doses, or insulin pumps. I don't know what it depends on. But I believe the diabetologists know what they're doing. :)

S

Sable_Jan

Woohoo pea soup......love my pea soup. Pre 5.00; post 2hrs 6.8 post 3.5hrs 5.1..... Was driving home at 3hrs but guessing it was going down. Marrowfat peas, gammon and carrots...the winter hotpot mayb out but not this :-D:-DB-):)=-O:p:p:p
My friend wondered last week how he'd find out if he was diabetic. He had annual mot wth bloods but doesn't know if he has fasting glucose done as its all done at H.C. he attends. Offered to test him but I have to test mine in a different room, he can't watch.....

Reactions: 4 people