virus

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i think im coming down with a virus my first one since diagnoses 3 weeks ago what am i to expect are my bs going to go wild are might they just be normal i know everyones different but ive heard horror stories about catching things and diabetes

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
i think im coming down with a virus my first one since diagnoses 3 weeks ago what am i to expect are my bs going to go wild are might they just be normal i know everyones different but ive heard horror stories about catching things and diabetes

First comment from me is to suggest you to settle down :). Second is see your GP. Third is take it from there. Distressed imaginings aren't going to help. Had the same thing as you (virus, and brother it was bad for two weeks) but you'll recover. Same thing applies to you as it does to everyone else, diabetic or otherwise. Keep the fluids up, keep warm, see your GP and stay on top of it:

take care

Mike

Reactions: 2 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was actually diagnosed T2 whilst I was laid up with an infection. My initial levels were a bit scary but the quack told me to chill because it was "likely to be attributable, in part, to the fact that you're ill". I suspect this was true, because the first finger-prick test showed I had a level of 15 mmol/l and a fasting test at the Hospital, a couple of weeks later when I was feeling better, already showed that it was down to 8-ish, from whence it has retreated further. Co-incidentally, I then got another bug, a couple of months later, by which time I was exercising, eating sensibly and necking metformin, and my levels never went higher than 11 which, whilst high, wasn't the end of the world, imho. They were up for a couple of days then returned to "normal".

All of which is a slightly long-winded way of repeating MikeD's advice to stay cool :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you geta virus or anything esle that makes you ill just expect your BS to go up. If you are on insulin you can increase it; if not I'm afraid you just have to accept it will be higher. Keep the carbs down to help with BS. Yes, keep the fluids up. Other than that I would only bother the GP if things get out of hand.

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most important thing is to check your BG more than usually. If you are on insulin it might be necessary to increase units of your basal,but you have to be careful because it can cause hypos at some point. If your BG are high, don't forget to check for ketones