packed lunches

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Back to work in the new year, first time since diagnosed. Any suggestions/favourites for lunch ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold meats, boiled eggs, salads with a small container of mayonnaise, tinned salmon or tuna ready mashed up with a dressing, chicken drum sticks, cheese, tomatoes, homemade soup in a vacuum flask ....... nuts for snacks, some berries, a plain yogurt.

Have a search on the forum. There are several threads about this with some excellent ideas.

Oh, and good luck on your return to work.

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have salad with olive oil/yoghurt/cucumber dressing and some kind of meat. Yum!

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Could be low GI, bugen soya and linseed bread, low fat filling, or maybe livlife bread.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be low GI, bugen soya and linseed bread, low fat filling, or maybe livlife bread.

Not in every case Douglas. I couldn't manage 2 slices, with or without fat. Never tried Livlife but it isn't readily available everywhere.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not in every case Douglas. I couldn't manage 2 slices, with or without fat. Never tried Livlife but it isn't readily available everywhere.

Shows we're all different, which is why eating to your meter is the way to see what the individual diet should be.

Reactions: 3 people

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cold meats, boiled eggs, salads with a small container of mayonnaise, tinned salmon or tuna ready mashed up with a dressing, chicken drum sticks, cheese, tomatoes, homemade soup in a vacuum flask ....... nuts for snacks, some berries, a plain yogurt.

Have a search on the forum. There are several threads about this with some excellent ideas.

Oh, and good luck on your return to work.

Thank you, now im hungry lol, lots of good ideas.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Pick and mix from salami, olives, avocado, feta, some houmous, tomato, smoked mackerel pate ...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Malky39 said:
Good old sandwiches with chicken,lettuce and cucumber
I do have sandwiches (but not in winter for lunch) but use lettuce as the wrap instead of bread.
In this weather I usually have a soup/stew that I have tested to be low carb, kept in a flask.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone recommend a wide-mouth flask that keeps enough stew for 2 people hot? I've got a Thermos which is bulky on the outside but quite small internally and hot food in it doesn't stay hot long.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone recommend a wide-mouth flask that keeps enough stew for 2 people hot? I've got a Thermos which is bulky on the outside but quite small internally and hot food in it doesn't stay hot long.
I saw some efficient looking ones in Decathalon yesterday, but didn't examine them as I was after something small just for coffee.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the sandwiches: you could try making some of the "alternative" breads, which use almond flour, flaxmeal etc. Good for blood sugar, but high on calories! Can't remember where I got recipes at the moment, surely some link followed from here. If you don't have a recipe I can copy mine.
I work a very long day away from home on a Tuesday and always make a sandwich like this - sandwiches are so satisfying and easy to transport.

Jane;

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pumpernickel is good for most type 2 diabetics, having a low GI between 30 and 40. It's more compressed seeds than leavened bread and is consequently very filling. It travels well too!

I have open sandwiches at home but if travelling, I fill the sandwiches with sliced cheeses like Emmentaler or sliced meats or salamis. Just add some crunchy lettuce and some sliced tomato and or onion. You can have a nice meal if you take some broth in a thermos and some nice pickled gerkhins and/or green chillis. An apple or pear won't hurt you either.

This is a very nice sandwhich, cream cheese, smoked salmon and some avocado, but a bit of a luxury and almost as expensive as Greggs:

a079f98a2132fd6e_Recipe-Smoked-Salmon-Sandwiches-Avocado-Wasabi-Cream-Cheese.xxxlarge.jpg

Still, a good ham sandwich is hard to beat:

MH_0909_Herz_800x533.jpg.3023220.jpg

You need the correct bread though. Nothing light and springy. That's a sure sign that it has white flour and/or other additives. Pumpernickel in German is called Full Kernel Bread and it looks like this:

2.jpg