Nightmare diabetes appointment

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, thank you for asking. This was all from 7pm to 10.30pm Sunday night. I still went to work as usual Monday!!

Never going for chicken at a Chinese again though!!

I am so embarrassed and emailed our ambulance service to thank them and to offer apologies to the paramedics...... When I started to speak I was calling one of the paramedics "baldie"...... I would never do that to any person ever when I am fully conscious, never!! (He was bald though, shaved head from what I remember!!) and I kept on to the other chap about him putting on and taking off his glasses all the time. I also remember saying repeatedly "let me die, I've had enough of this" or "let me die, I don't want to live anymore, let me go"......

I just beg people to be aware that keeping your bloods low whilst on insulin can have massive unforeseen or unthought of consequences that you may never think of....

Thank you for asking. Much appreciated, and yes, no more Chinese ever!!

Reactions: Ledzeptt

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Scary experience DD, make sure you make a complaint to the restaurant involved and you might want to contact the food inspectors within your local council.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes, thank you for asking. This was all from 7pm to 10.30pm Sunday night. I still went to work as usual Monday!!

Never going for chicken at a Chinese again though!!

I am so embarrassed and emailed our ambulance service to thank them and to offer apologies to the paramedics...... When I started to speak I was calling one of the paramedics "baldie"...... I would never do that to any person ever when I am fully conscious, never!! (He was bald though, shaved head from what I remember!!) and I kept on to the other chap about him putting on and taking off his glasses all the time. I also remember saying repeatedly "let me die, I've had enough of this" or "let me die, I don't want to live anymore, let me go"......

I just beg people to be aware that keeping your bloods low whilst on insulin can have massive unforeseen or unthought of consequences that you may never think of....

Thank you for asking. Much appreciated, and yes, no more Chinese ever!!
SOO glad you're OK DD :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Scary experience DD, make sure you make a complaint to the restaurant involved and you might want to contact the food inspectors within your local council.

Can't be sure it was the Chinese... But hubby had same food as me 3 hours before and a different Chinese meal, so it's the likely reason. I only had to bolus so much because I felt really naughty for having such a rare treat.. I had also banana fritters!, pity they didn't stay down long enough to enjoy them!! Will contact council though....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't be sure it was the Chinese... But hubby had same food as me 3 hours before and a different Chinese meal, so it's the likely reason. I only had to bolus so much because I felt really naughty for having such a rare treat.. I had also banana fritters!, pity they didn't stay down long enough to enjoy them!! Will contact council though....

I once ate a cheeseburger from a cafe that looked rather shabby, within the hour I was violently sick and I had a 90 min ride back home to contend with, food poisoning is horrible DD and it makes sense to contact the council if your sure it was the food to blame.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hubby got gastroenteritis a while back now, GP told him that would have been from toilet handles, even doors when exiting the toilets after he had washed his hands, or from some sort of dirty water?? He collapsed 3 times with that...totally out cold.

Just wouldn't want to harm a chinese (so to speak) if I could have just picked something up!!!

Sorry for diverting the post.. Just wanted to warn people of my experience of keeping lower levels and what can happen unexpectantly!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't think people realise what that is like until it happens to them. I had it happen in Thailand and fortunately was able to keep down coke as I wax staying alone. Very unpleasant experience, and once you've suffered food poisoning and the consequences of an unfulfilled bolus, you are much more aware.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad you're OK DD - what a horrible experience.

I was very sick after bolusing a few weeks back and it's not a nice feeling. Fortunately for me, I keep Carbs low so only ever have small doses of insulin and was able to correct with sips of Coke. For me, it emphasises the importance of keeping doses small.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But dipping down into the 2's in a non-diabetic isn't dangerous Smidge in most cases, however with an insulin dependant diabetic with IOB there's no control over what might happen, that is why it is not encouraged and should be avoided.

Yes, I certainly wasn't suggesting people do it, just giving a possible theory on loss of hypo awareness in those who do not suffer hypos.

Smidge

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So glad you're OK DD - what a horrible experience.

I was very sick after bolusing a few weeks back and it's not a nice feeling. Fortunately for me, I keep Carbs low so only ever have small doses of insulin and was able to correct with sips of Coke. For me, it emphasises the importance of keeping doses small.

Smidge

I too normally keep very low carbs but this was a one off..but sometimes one off situations can completely mess you up. It is so important that gels and injections are kept at home.. At least... Not possible to take for a one off situation in 30 years as a T1...

These things happen but by having low carbs constantly and very rarely having a chinese or eating out then it really just a warning to others that these things can happen and be prepared.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't follow. Surely an insulin pump stops hypos.... His BG level was under 2.0, but on an insulin pump.
Ian,a pump is a mechanical aid, not an artificial pancreas.It allows finer adjustments but doesn't stop hypos if you have something that causes one.
(so exercise, wrongly calculated insulin, even stress can cause someone to go low.I had some very stressful phone calls the other night;my blood glucose rose and I went to bed with quite a high level for me. When I eventually got to sleep my libre suggests my glucose levels plummeted and I was technically hypos ie in the 3s for about 2 hours during the night. The pump won't stop that sort of thing, . I wouldn't have known that my slightly fuzzy head was probably caused by being too low without the Libre)

Edit,
@donnellysdogs
Just read your story DD. That was horrid, I'm so glad that you are OK now.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re functioning well at lower levels ,something that came up elsewhere and something I know I noticed in the past and I'm not a low carber . In non diabetics there are a whole series of events which serve to warn and prevent of damaging hypoglycaemia . |For many of us the levels at which we perceive these symptoms is lower than that of non insulin taking people.
This article says that ,a current hypothesis is that people who have frequent hypos do indeed use alternative energy sources.(increased cerebral sources of glucose, ketones and lactate have all been suggested)
For example; People with diabetes and hypo unawareness have been found to have higher levels of lactate which the brain can use as a source of fuel. Lab animals also show adaptations of glucose transport during hypoglycaemia.
Brain adaptions/altered fuel, may indeed be what allows us to perceive better cognitive function at low levels and helps to prevent neuronal death.
The authors suggest that this is good in that cognition/brain function may be preserved during severe hypoglycaemia but
'Unfortunately, metabolic adaptations in patients with hypoglycemia unawareness that allow cognitive function at dangerously low blood sugar levels do so at the perilous risk of a precipitous hypoglycemic coma. Since limiting the awareness and symptoms of hypoglycemia jeopardizes patient safety, it must be considered a maladaptive response'

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hubby got gastroenteritis a while back now, GP told him that would have been from toilet handles, even doors when exiting the toilets after he had washed his hands, or from some sort of dirty water?? He collapsed 3 times with that...totally out cold.
Just wouldn't want to harm a chinese (so to speak) if I could have just picked something up!!!

No quite right DD, if your not 100% sure then it would be wrong to point the finger of blame at the restaurant, anyway hope you are over the worst.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
It’s ok saying that an HbA1c of 4.9% is not effected by hypos but it also indicates that over the last four weeks there has been very little glucose in the blood. So, either you have unbelievably good control and can replicate the human body fantastically, or, the BG levels are dropping too low.

Or you are low carbing and don't have to (mis)manage the peaks and troughs?

I think if you follow the standard advice you will find it almost impossible to get sub 6.0% HbA1c's (as a Type 1) without concurrent hypos. If you ignore the standard advice on diet then you can achieve this.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also further details on diabetics knowing when they are in the 2's.

Another ongoing scenario at the moment.

I have an anorexic young female friend in a eating disorder unit currently.

When she was first admitted her levels were all under 3 for 3 weeks.

She did not have a clue that her texts were like she was drunk, her talking was like she was brain dead. She didn't have a clue that this was not normal.

She is a very academically qualified clever young lady. Nobody prior to her being admitted to the unit realised that her blood glucose levels were so low that it was affecting her brain functioning. She did not realuse at all.

Ot took three weeks of horrendously high eating of carbs (80% of her food was carbs) and fruit juices to get her bg levels raised consistently.

Her brain was acting exactly like mine does when I drop low. No different at all.. And she any nobody else realised that this was the cause of her brain functioning badly academically or on txts or speaking.

When I go like this, I know and, my friends and family know instantly.

So.. No. Non diabetics do not realise.
I realised because I have the knowledge of hypo's and testing my bloods etc.

Another person (her dad) also has low blood level incidences and after I tested him after complaining of being dizzy up a ladder then He actually gave up going on to roofs and up ladders as part of his job and also carries choc bars with him. He knew he was getting dizzy and feeling like he was drunk but actually didn't have a clue why. He had also been to a GP who did not consider that it was because he was having low blood glucose levels.

Non diabetics who may well be having symptoms of hypo's do not know the causes and GP's would not know unless they were there and tested at that specific time of the low levels occuring.

These people are just as unsafe doing things with liw levels as diabetics are, its just that they do not get it considered that their levels are low OR have to report them to the dvla.

DD - I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, and I'm pleased you are now fine.

My comment relates to your anorexic friend. I'm sorry, but whilst she may be non-diabetic, she is certainly not operating in the usual non-diabetic space. She isn't someone who is a bit hungry because they've exercised hard or missed a meal and are therefore extremely hungry. She is someone who has systematically starved herself to a point of extreme malnutrition. He mind, sadly, will have been messed up by far more than her bloods running very low. She will have actually been or been on the verge of multiple major organ failure. That doesn't happen without impact on her mental capacity.

Undoubtedly non-diabetics lose some mental capacity as theygo very low. They say things like, "blimey, I need to eat. I can't concentrate, I'm so hungry".

And, of course, there are non-diabetics, perhaps even those with reactive hypoglycaemia who are regularly low. How they react will also differ from diabetics and normoglaycaemics.

DD - your anorexic friend has a long battle ahead of her to come back to living a relaxed and normal life, and to rebuild her relationships with food, and other people. Thankfully most anorexics recover to function well within society. Some have long term impacts, and some manage to shake it off altogether. I really do hope she is in the latter group. It must be an horrific time for her, her family and her wider circle.

But, she isn't your standard non-diabetic, by any stretch of the imagination.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
My consultant was involved in that trial .Hence his new advice to never go below 6 at any time .I already have heart problems

From the link to that study it says that there is a correlation between hypos and cardiovascular risks.

Note that it is not saying that there is a correlation between low HbA1cs and cardiovascular risks.

Is it possible that the people having the hypos were also badly controlled diabetics with high HbA1cs? We know pretty much for certain that HbA1cs over 6.5% markedly increase your chance of heart disease - have a look at a summary of the DCCT which is incredibly specific.

It seems possible to me that like in the ACCORD study conclusions are being made that are not helpful to us as diabetics; if a low HbA1c were problematic then non-diabetics would be having heart attacks as a consequence and the DCCT would not show such a sharp rise in heart attacks with a rise in HbA1c.

No one wants hypos but I think the fixation with them could be a product of how badly the NHS in general deals with diabetes; you can fix a hypo pretty easily - so could it be beyond the realms of imagination that doctors go 'at last - something we can do something about' and get you to run high?

Common sense tells me that non-diabetic blood sugars are where we want to be; and the best way to get there is by ditching the carbs.

Best

Dillinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From the link to that study it says that there is a correlation between hypos and cardiovascular risks ... Note that it is not saying that there is a correlation between low HbA1cs and cardiovascular risks.

... Common sense tells me that non-diabetic blood sugars are where we want to be; and the best way to get there is by ditching the carbs
I share your reading of it Dillinger. Of course, subject to this being down to individuals to decide, in consultation with their doc, etc etc. I only wish docs were sufficiently au fait with the lit to be prepared to engage seriously with this. Not just trying to shush us, as many are.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I think if you follow the standard advice you will find it almost impossible to get sub 6.0% HbA1c's (as a Type 1) without concurrent hypos.

I think Dr Bernstein would strongly disagree. He says the tighter the control the less likely you are of having hypos....,but his control guideline is tight.... Very tight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too normally keep very low carbs but this was a one off..but sometimes one off situations can completely mess you up. It is so important that gels and injections are kept at home.. At least... Not possible to take for a one off situation in 30 years as a T1...

These things happen but by having low carbs constantly and very rarely having a chinese or eating out then it really just a warning to others that these things can happen and be prepared.

Hi DD,

So glad you are OK! What a terrible experience.

But I'm a little confused. I've just read your posts, and my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) is that you normally low carb, with presumably correspondingly small doses of insulin? And on Sunday, your experience was a high carb meal, with a larger than usual dose of insulin. Since the meal disagreed with you, it made you sick, so there was no expected rise in BG, and you hypoed. Leading to a horrifically frightening experience.

So while this is a valuable lesson to everyone who uses insulin, isn't it also a very good example of how eating low carb, with correspondingly low insulin doses, reduces the risk of this kind of terrible experience? It is one of Bernstein's recurring themes that small doses means small risk of error.

On a totally personal note, I hope you recover enough to at least enjoy some of your Xmas food over the next few days. I know how much you enjoy this time of year, and it would be a pity to be feeling awful through it all. That is if you can even contemplate the sight of food at the moment.

Reactions: 6 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I think Dr Bernstein would strongly disagree. He says the tighter the control the less likely you are of having hypos....,but his control guideline is tight.... Very tight.

Hi Ian; I think we are saying the same thing! When I say 'standard advice' I mean eating lots of carbohydrates - so I agree with Bernstein there. I find myself that any hypos are more gradual and less debilitating on a low carb diet. I have not needed assistance with a hypo for more than a decade, possibly longer.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 3 people