Feel like I'm making it all up.....

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had some real battles to get where I am now, with family disbelief!
"What do you mean by not eating carbs, you have to eat spuds!"

"You can't have hypos your T2!"
You get my meaning, you just have talk them into your decisions and the reasoning behind it!
My answer these days are I am allergic to carbs and sugars. That seems to get their attention and their understanding!

Allergic to carbs and sugar - that's brilliant.
Last week a colleague bought me a pancake/dropped scone from the tea trolley at work saying 'I bought you this because I thought it had less calories than a (regular) scone.' I just felt like saying 'IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CALORIES'. I took it, ate it and felt awful for the rest of the morning. Lately, I've found if I eat anything like that it seems to make me want to eat more carbs and then it all goes sadly wrong.

I'm very much still at the 'experimenting' stage. Yesterday I went out for lunch and asked for salad instead of chips. Normally I LOVE chips but I'm coming round to the realisation that chips might taste nice but they come at a price. I still really enjoyed my lunch and felt fine after yet the others were still feeling full HOURS later.
With so many diabetics under the unfortunate illusion that provided they take their tablets and watch their sugar intake a bit, they can pretty much eat anything, why should we expect non diabetics to know any better!

The percentage of diabetics in the UK that currently achieve good control of their sugars (hba1c of 47) is only about 20 per cent, which is a truly shockingly small proportion.

Yep. My partners Mother is a prime example. She is Type 2 but needs insulin and metformin. When I told her that the nurse had told me to watch out for grapes as one of the things that people missed and that to limit them to only six - she told me that was rubbish and grapes were fine. And don't get me started on the day we visited and there was a box of celebrations chocs beside her and she told us she had had chocolate gateau for lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm really lucky in that my wife and daughter have been incredibly supportive (as they always have been with everything to be honest), but my Mother in Law came for Sunday lunch last week (the first time since I was diagnosed) and said when she saw my plate full of vegetables with chicken, a couple of tiny roast potatoes and missing the mash and Yorkshire puddings: "I thought you could eat anything you wanted 'cos you're on tablets..."
I soon put her straight :)

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Jellyb,
Well yet another informative read, Ive had similar comments from work colleagues. Ive been off since being diagnosed and due to go back soon. Comments like "we all know someone who is diabetic, no big deal" and "you can eat more or less what you want once your on meds" !!!!!!! like they have a clue. Im sad but glad to know its not just me:)

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
With so many diabetics under the unfortunate illusion that provided they take their tablets and watch their sugar intake a bit, they can pretty much eat anything, why should we expect non diabetics to know any better!

The percentage of diabetics in the UK that currently achieve good control of their sugars (hba1c of 47) is only about 20 per cent, which is a truly shockingly small proportion.

Those figures are so surprising, I wonder if its lack of information , lack of interest or scared to change ones lifestyle.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some members of my friends and family sound very disbelieving when I describe some of my symptoms. Today I told my dad about how I had leg cramps and sore feet and he looked at me and said 'Well, I've never heard of that before!'
I went out to lunch with him and his partner and I felt like I was making a fuss because I asked for salad instead of chips and asked for soda water and lime. I'm also trying to lose weight.
Some days when my BS is high I feel really irritable and other days I feel really sleepy and like brain fog is setting in. Dad's partner said that her ex-husband eats what he likes and just avoids the sweet stuff.
I'm slowly getting my head around all this stuff but it feels so difficult at times...

So hard to remain positive when those around you don't understand. but you can do it. I think some people just don't know how to handle new situations so become critical instead of supportive. lots of support here though.:)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those figures are so surprising, I wonder if its lack of information , lack of interest or scared to change ones lifestyle.
Here are more details of the latest UK statistics

"DIABETES: FACTS AND STATSPART FOUR: DIABETES CARE

Only 20.8% of all people with diabetes are achieving the targets recommended to reduce their risk of developing diabetes complications.In Type 1 diabetes this is only 11.8% and 21.5% in Type 2, so despite many people being tested for blood pressure, cholesterol and HbA1c, relatively few are then achieving the targets they should.

Achieving target:

- HbA1c below 6.5%: 6,5% of type 1 and 26.2% of type 2s

- Cholesterol below 4mmol/l: 29.7% of t1s and 41.3% of t2s

- BP below 140/80: 57.9% of t1s and 47.3% of type 2s
These figures have not changed significantly over the last three years."

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/About Us/Statistics/Diabetes-key-stats-guidelines-April2014.pdf

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Perhaps if the other 79.2% demonstrated the resolve I see here every day, it'd be a brighter picture

Reactions: 9 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt I will ever get my cholesterol below 4, both my parents suffer high cholesterol and unlike blood sugar it's not as directly related to diet as many think.

My doctor actually discussed increasing my statins to 80mg a day but even she warned me that the side effects of that higher dose would probably out weigh the benefits and it possibly wouldn't bring it down much more. Needless to say I stayed at 40mg. As long as I can keep it in the 5s I will be happy any lower will be a bonus.

My blood pressure is good and my HBA1C I am working on so as they say, two out of three ain't bad.

Reactions: 6 people

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Here are more details of the latest UK statistics

"DIABETES: FACTS AND STATSPART FOUR: DIABETES CARE

Only 20.8% of all people with diabetes are achieving the targets recommended to reduce their risk of developing diabetes complications.In Type 1 diabetes this is only 11.8% and 21.5% in Type 2, so despite many people being tested for blood pressure, cholesterol and HbA1c, relatively few are then achieving the targets they should.

Achieving target:

- HbA1c below 6.5%: 6,5% of type 1 and 26.2% of type 2s

- Cholesterol below 4mmol/l: 29.7% of t1s and 41.3% of t2s

- BP below 140/80: 57.9% of t1s and 47.3% of type 2s
These figures have not changed significantly over the last three years."

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/About Us/Statistics/Diabetes-key-stats-guidelines-April2014.pdf

Pavlos

Hi
Thanks for that Pavlos. Really interesting I do like a stat. Maybe I shouldn't be so judgemental Iam only 8 weeks into this, all very new.
I got such a scare, my path has changed dramatically and I can see and feel the difference, and I like that aspect and don't want it to go back to how it was. So my motivation is there. My vision was seriously impaired for 6 weeks my BS were so high. So dis empowering. I have a friend who just sort of fell into it and she thinks im over the top. She would fall into these stats. We like to push boundaries!! Awareness, education and experience may be key?:)

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Thanks for that Pavlos. Really interesting I do like a stat. Maybe I shouldn't be so judgemental Iam only 8 weeks into this, all very new.
I got such a scare, my path has changed dramatically and I can see and feel the difference, and I like that aspect and don't want it to go back to how it was. So my motivation is there. My vision was seriously impaired for 6 weeks my BS were so high. So dis empowering. I have a friend who just sort of fell into it and she thinks im over the top. She would fall into these stats. We like to push boundaries!! Awareness, education and experience may be key?:)
I suspect that it is a combination of factors that lead to these poor statistics.

For start there is the high carb diet that is routinely recommended to diabetics.

Secondly there is the motivational aspect of always fighting an enemy you can never see directly but who never gives up.

As you say these are early days for you and it sounds that you are doing well to get to grips with your levels so early.

But I have to agree with you that the correct education is key

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I suspect that it is a combination of factors that lead to these poor statistics.

For start there is the high carb diet that is routinely recommended to diabetics.

Secondly there is the motivational aspect of always fighting an enemy you can never see directly but who never gives up.

As you say these are early days for you and it sounds that you are doing well to get to grips with your levels so early.

But I have to agree with you that the correct education is key

Yes, I found the high carb diet an odd recommendation once I had started to look into it and reading discussions on this site. I don't follow this if im honest and my BS seem to be better for it so far.

A re vamp of NHS material/attitude may well be needed, as this is always your first port of call.

Im lucky I question things, some people understandably do as they are advised only.

Take care:)

louch1

I get the ear bashing from my own husband . He cannot understand the changes I have made. I hardly eat white flour . If I bake it's with whole meal or I use honey. When I do say go and chat to the nurse he grumbles even more. People even at work have said how difficult it has been to get me a gift for Christmas because of my diagnoses . God I want to say I am still the same person my type 2 hasn't changed me. Sorry I didn't mean to rant .

Jellyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the ear bashing from my own husband . He cannot understand the changes I have made. I hardly eat white flour . If I bake it's with whole meal or I use honey. When I do say go and chat to the nurse he grumbles even more. People even at work have said how difficult it has been to get me a gift for Christmas because of my diagnoses . God I want to say I am still the same person my type 2 hasn't changed me. Sorry I didn't mean to rant .

louch1 - don't worry about the rant! Rant away! Like others have said - it's great to be able to come here and say exactly what we think and how we feel because we are all in the same boat. I feel a little bit like that at work - people think it's hilarious to wave around the Christmas chocs and say 'oh no - you can't have one'. I sneakily opened a Christmas gift on Sunday as I was in need of cheering up - only to find it was a box of chocolates!!!