scared to drink!

BugsyShaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :) I'm 22 and recently been dignosed with type 1 diabetes. I'm dying to go and have a drink with friends but i was told that i can only have a glass of wine with a meal. any suggestions? don't really want to sit and eat a full on meal at the pub!
would be very grateful for any advice :) thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to be too rigid about drinking but don't go mad. The main problem with drinking is that the liver can't dump glucose into the blood whilst removing alcohol so if your sugar goes low and you have a hypo the liver can't rescue you until the alcohol has gone, so you do need to avoid the sugar going too low whilst drinking

Reactions: 2 people

BugsyShaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you for the reply! so should i eat something while drinking?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you for the reply! so should i eat something while drinking?

Hi, I'm type 2 on Metformin, and I have been told just to be careful, if I drink beer it does not seem to drag the sugars down too much but when drinking wine then that does pull the numbers down.

I have a friend who is type 1 and drinks all the time but then he has been diabetic for 30 years and sort of knows his body.

The main thing I was told by the Doctor & Chemist because of the Metformin & diabetes is do not drink alone. Also be aware that the sugars can drop long after you have stopped drinking so do check your levels, I usually snack on peanuts or something.

And lastly it hasn't stopped me.

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. Yes, eating whilst drinking is probably a good idea and better to have slightly high blood sugar than the reverse

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI. Yes, eating whilst drinking is probably a good idea and better to have slightly high blood sugar than the reverse
Should have said "I have a friend who is type 1 (not 2) and drinks all the time but then he has been diabetic for 30 years and sort of knows his body.
He is sometimes seen eating a mars bar or a snicker between drinking.

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Don't be worried about drinking just be savvy about it . I've been type 1 since I was 16 and done my fair share of parting. I'm 35 now just make sure you test a lot and eat before, and allways make sure you have at lest one person that knows how to deal with a hypo and make sure you have some form of identification on you have fun ! Having diabetes is not a life sentence just remember don't let your diabetes control you,you control your diabetes !!

Reactions: 6 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same age and have drunk a couple of times since diagnosis, just keep a close on your sugars as you'll be at risk of a hypo and may not recognise it. I was told to have a small glass of coke every three pints (if you dare to drink that much) and if you get vodka just get a safe mixer.
Everyone has also repeated the fact that when you get in make sure you have food!

edit* Whenever i check my sugars it always says they're high but are normal again about 5 hours later

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :) I'm 22 and recently been dignosed with type 1 diabetes. I'm dying to go and have a drink with friends but i was told that i can only have a glass of wine with a meal. any suggestions? don't really want to sit and eat a full on meal at the pub!

I'm type 1, drink and seem to be ok with it unless I drink spirits. Ttry and snack on some carbs, or have some carbs before you go to sleep to be on the safe side.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My friend's son is T1
I think the key thing, as daibell said, is not to drink alone and have something like a Mars Bar in your bag.
The other alternative is to invite a friend round and see what a glass of wine does to your blood sugars.
It might give you an idea of what your body can cope with when you are out...
Just a thought.... no expertise here at all, merely a thought!

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
There are a few things that can be quite important to remember as far as drinking is concerned.

1) First of all alcoholic drinks have different levels of carbohydrates and sugar in them so will affect your blood sugar in different ways. Generally spirits and wine have very few if any carbs in them whereas beer, ale, cider and alcopops have larger amounts in them. So you would be advised to stick with spirits and a mixer or wine as this will make your levels easier to manage. Do your own research on what you like to drink to establish the carb / sugar levels.
2) It is best to eat while drinking but it doesn’t mean you have to sit down to a 3 course meal. If you are not planning on eating out then just take a cereal bar or something like that to eat while out.
3) Regular blood sugar testing is really important and I can’t stress this enough particularly as you are newly diagnosed and very much still finding your way. I would recommend every 1 to 2 hours while out and I would also consider setting an alarm for 2am-3am to check your sugars are still OK. If high you can take some short acting insulin to counteract this or if they are low take some glucose and some longer lasting carbs such as bread to keep your levels up when you go back to sleep. Diabetes is a very individual condition and affects different peoples bodies in different ways and until you get used to living with this take care.
4) Make sure you carry your insulin, blood testing machine and fast acting glucose at all times when out. Also make sure that there is someone with you who knows what to do in case of a hypo.
5) I am not sure if you have had a hypo yet (you will trust me) but they are quite distinctive and you will feel them coming on. Again the symptoms of these vary from individual to individual but you may feel shaky, get blurred vision, start to sweat profusely, get a bad headache or start to have trouble in making yourself understood. Unfortunately bad hypos can mimic the effects of being drunk so I would advise caution at this early stage with getting too drunk. Night time hypos when you are asleep are really quite horrible things however the good news for you is nearly all diabetics wake up while having them and can deal with them. For most T1’s they are more of an annoyance than being actually dangerous however you should not underestimate them. Generally your liver will kick in to release stored glucose however as mentioned in one of the earlier replies its ability to do this while trying to process alcohol becomes much reduced. I unfortunately have limited hypo awareness (basically I don’t always get symptoms of a hypo or they are very faint) as I have been diabetic for many years so they are more of a problem for me but as you are a newbie your body will still be very sensitive to them.
6) I don’t know if you have been made aware of what is known as the Honeymoon Period but this is a further reason to be slightly cautious of drinking at this stage. When you first start to inject insulin your pancreas can basically start functioning again to a limited degree. This is very erratic and irregular but it may go on for up to a year or it may not happen at all. The problem this gives you as a newbie is it makes it very hard to control your blood sugar. You are injecting insulin and monitoring your glucose levels and everything is great until your pancreas decides to start working again for a bit. You will obviously not be aware of this until your levels drop. This can happen at any time (or not at all) which is why you are at greater risk in these early stages from suffering hypos. This will stop (if it ever starts) but you do need to be aware it can happen.
So basically to summarise my rather long post. Make sure you take precautions. It’s liking learning to ride a bike. It’s really hard at this stage, you’re not sure what you’re doing, you’re nervous and to be honest you will probably fall off a few times. But the longer you are on the ride the easier it will get. Just make sure the people around you are aware of your condition and what to do if you have a hypo you can’t deal with (very very unlikely) and just try not to get too drunk at this stage. But by all means go out, have some fun and don’t let this stop you living your life. Most diabetics get by reasonably well as functioning members of society and many live amazing lives. It can just makes things a little bit harder but when you get a success you can feel even better that you have overcome the challenge. Good luck and have a great Christmas!

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi @BugsyShaw,

This article, written in a lighthearted way by a diabetes educator in America, encompasses everything you need to know and is well worth a read.
http://www.diabetesmine.com/2014/03...isiting-drinking-diabetes-with-uncle-wil.html

BugsyShaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much. very helpful!

Hi
There are a few things that can be quite important to remember as far as drinking is concerned.

1) First of all alcoholic drinks have different levels of carbohydrates and sugar in them so will affect your blood sugar in different ways. Generally spirits and wine have very few if any carbs in them whereas beer, ale, cider and alcopops have larger amounts in them. So you would be advised to stick with spirits and a mixer or wine as this will make your levels easier to manage. Do your own research on what you like to drink to establish the carb / sugar levels.
2) It is best to eat while drinking but it doesn’t mean you have to sit down to a 3 course meal. If you are not planning on eating out then just take a cereal bar or something like that to eat while out.
3) Regular blood sugar testing is really important and I can’t stress this enough particularly as you are newly diagnosed and very much still finding your way. I would recommend every 1 to 2 hours while out and I would also consider setting an alarm for 2am-3am to check your sugars are still OK. If high you can take some short acting insulin to counteract this or if they are low take some glucose and some longer lasting carbs such as bread to keep your levels up when you go back to sleep. Diabetes is a very individual condition and affects different peoples bodies in different ways and until you get used to living with this take care.
4) Make sure you carry your insulin, blood testing machine and fast acting glucose at all times when out. Also make sure that there is someone with you who knows what to do in case of a hypo.
5) I am not sure if you have had a hypo yet (you will trust me) but they are quite distinctive and you will feel them coming on. Again the symptoms of these vary from individual to individual but you may feel shaky, get blurred vision, start to sweat profusely, get a bad headache or start to have trouble in making yourself understood. Unfortunately bad hypos can mimic the effects of being drunk so I would advise caution at this early stage with getting too drunk. Night time hypos when you are asleep are really quite horrible things however the good news for you is nearly all diabetics wake up while having them and can deal with them. For most T1’s they are more of an annoyance than being actually dangerous however you should not underestimate them. Generally your liver will kick in to release stored glucose however as mentioned in one of the earlier replies its ability to do this while trying to process alcohol becomes much reduced. I unfortunately have limited hypo awareness (basically I don’t always get symptoms of a hypo or they are very faint) as I have been diabetic for many years so they are more of a problem for me but as you are a newbie your body will still be very sensitive to them.
6) I don’t know if you have been made aware of what is known as the Honeymoon Period but this is a further reason to be slightly cautious of drinking at this stage. When you first start to inject insulin your pancreas can basically start functioning again to a limited degree. This is very erratic and irregular but it may go on for up to a year or it may not happen at all. The problem this gives you as a newbie is it makes it very hard to control your blood sugar. You are injecting insulin and monitoring your glucose levels and everything is great until your pancreas decides to start working again for a bit. You will obviously not be aware of this until your levels drop. This can happen at any time (or not at all) which is why you are at greater risk in these early stages from suffering hypos. This will stop (if it ever starts) but you do need to be aware it can happen.
So basically to summarise my rather long post. Make sure you take precautions. It’s liking learning to ride a bike. It’s really hard at this stage, you’re not sure what you’re doing, you’re nervous and to be honest you will probably fall off a few times. But the longer you are on the ride the easier it will get. Just make sure the people around you are aware of your condition and what to do if you have a hypo you can’t deal with (very very unlikely) and just try not to get too drunk at this stage. But by all means go out, have some fun and don’t let this stop you living your life. Most diabetics get by reasonably well as functioning members of society and many live amazing lives. It can just makes things a little bit harder but when you get a success you can feel even better that you have overcome the challenge. Good luck and have a great Christmas!
Jeez sorry about the lack of paragraphs in my post, they were there when I wrote it!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Last time I attempted to drink alcohol was during the England v Uruguay World cup match and ended up throwing up all night and had horrific blood sugar levels for days afterwards. Never again

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was probably more to do with the football though ,I felt ill for weeks after being subjected to that :)

Shazza98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm 29 and been T1 for three years. Before being diagnosed I would like to go out fairly regularly for a night out drinking but after 3 years of trying to work out which drinks I'm ok with and which I'm not I've now decided to give up alcohol completely. I have some horrible, scary hypos when I've been drinking and if it wasn't for my boyfriend I wouldn't be here now. Always make sure you eat plenty of carbs before drinking and while you're drinking as this will help to stop your levels crashing. I have found that sometimes I can have a few drinks and my levels not really be effected yet another day my levels will spike then crash and I would be all over the place. My advise to you would always be cautious, never drink alone and as with most things for a diabetic is the more you plan in advance the better the outcome of the night, hope that helps x

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The comment by Auckland Canary above is spot on in my view. I was diagnosed by a GP about 7 yrs ago as type 2. However I became thinner and thinner over that time with ever increasing oral meds and A1c until a referral to an Endo. Surprise surprise at age 56 I was really type 1. I then went straight onto insulin and stopped the levels of alcohol I had been taking. The trick I have found over the last 6 months on insulin has been to take alcohol in moderation and get used to what it was doing. A bad night hypo early on led to a reduction in long acting at bedtime and that in any event seemed to allow me a few reds without any problems whatsoever. I can now enjoy 4 standard drinks in the evening - sip and enjoy red wine slowly and I have no problems. It actually helps keep my random glucose lower. Everybody is different. Do not sacrifice the good things in life if you can progress carefully toward a way that works for you. Cheers!