Absorption problems inset 30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else have trouble with absorption on the inset 30s I'm quite new to the pump and have only ever used these but I instantly didn't like them the moment I lay eyes on them. And basically every set change turns into at least 2 set changes before I get any wear and in the time it takes to work out that it's another useless set my sugars have usually hit 20-25 area and I end up feeling super sick.

So I was just wondering if anybody else has these problems? or if it's just me. And if anyone has any tips of places I could put them to help improve absorption? Since I asked my dsn about changing to the inset II but she hasn't gotten back to me about it yet.

Sorry for the long rant

iHs

Hi

Before you go blaming the Inset 30 set for your problems, make sure that you insert it correctly first. Look at this website and then click on the visual guide at the bottom and it will show step by step pictures of how the set should be inserted.
http://www.infusion-set.com/products/inset-30.aspx

If the set is being inserted ok, then it may be that the Vibe basal rates need adjusting as this can happen for pumpers as the pump wont always control bg levels ok unless the settings are changed from time to time. There are also other sets to use with the Vibe, so have a look at the Inset II visual guide as well.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Does anyone else have trouble with absorption on the inset 30s I'm quite new to the pump and have only ever used these but I instantly didn't like them the moment I lay eyes on them. And basically every set change turns into at least 2 set changes before I get any wear and in the time it takes to work out that it's another useless set my sugars have usually hit 20-25 area and I end up feeling super sick.

So I was just wondering if anybody else has these problems? or if it's just me. And if anyone has any tips of places I could put them to help improve absorption? Since I asked my dsn about changing to the inset II but she hasn't gotten back to me about it yet.

Sorry for the long rant
I suspect you either have a bad absorption site or you are using the insets wrongly or your basal isn't correct.
Just to make sure are you actually priming your tubing correctly so that insulin is coming out of the end and are you remembering to fill your cannula as well?
I've actually found the insets the best cannula to use as an angled set.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem with the suggestion that the my basal rates might not be correct is that these problems only happen wen I change set usually I won't go over 10 unless I've over treated a low and also I leave my old set in for a couple of hours to a day just incase I have site problems and usually if I plug back into the old sight they come right back down again.

Yes I prime and fill my cannula all exactly the way the hospital showed me like I said I'm quite new to the pump so I've very very careful about doing things exactly the way i was taught.

But I do agree that it may just be that I've been picking spots that just don't get very good absorption.

Also the reason I dislike the inset 30 so much is because there angled I'm not saying there bad sets in general just that when I saw them I figured they would be similar to injecting on an angle which never seemed to agree with me also because of the angle I can't really tell how deep it goes but if it's the equivalent of a short needle they never seemed to agree with me either

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Miss J. when you remove the inset30 are there any kinks in the cannula at all? Also do you change your set before a meal? If not try this as the extra bolus will push any debris through for you.
The length of the cannula is 13mm so not short by any means. The angle should be 30 degrees as that's what angle the little legs are set at for correct insertion.
Do you have an account with Animas so you can order your supplies? If you do give them a ring and ask for samples of the other infusion sets they do. You can then try them out and see what works best for you.