GTT after after HbA1c Test

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice one with all your results. I've lost 2 stone in 12 weeks. Got my bloods down from 80 to 50. And bp is at the lowest its been in about 15 years. An interesting thing about potatoes. If I cook them. Let them cool then reheat. Its less of a BG spike.

Reactions: 2 people

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Nice one with all your results. I've lost 2 stone in 12 weeks. Got my bloods down from 80 to 50. And bp is at the lowest its been in about 15 years. An interesting thing about potatoes. If I cook them. Let them cool then reheat. Its less of a BG spike.

Thanks Blue and a massive congrats to you too on yours! and a 2 stone lose in just 12 weeks is quite an achievement! Bet you feel like a new man :).

Very interesting with the potato thing. Hmmm I will give this a go also, maybe it could work for me too, I will keep you posted on my findings. X

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Anyway upshot is (Just got back from the quacks) I have to take 500mg of Metformin once in morn and then again at night plus Simvastatin 40mg at night to control Cholesterol and I am also on Amlodipine 5mg which I have been taking for about a year. My BP is now at a more normal 120/80. :happy:
copngrats on finding a Doc that goes by the "New Fangled Ideas" like paleo and low carb:) BTW what were your cholesterol figures?

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
copngrats on finding a Doc that goes by the "New Fangled Ideas" like paleo and low carb:) BTW what were your cholesterol figures?

Hey Fergus! My total Cholesterol levels are 6.4 therebouts - I am not so sure what my HDL and LDL is though I was told I had a good lvl of good cholesterol I think around 2.4 maybe a wee bit more. They want my total chol to be around 4.0 give or take alittle (if my memory serves me right..), I will be having this tested again in a months time :) So I will update to a more accurate reading :)

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
That's a bit personal Fergus asking a lady her cholesterol levels lol.

I was tempted to type after reading your comment "32-32-32 and I have a pleasant attitude" Reminded me of a scene from Hi-de-hi Lol :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Fergus! My total Cholesterol levels are 6.4 therebouts - I am not so sure what my HDL and LDL is though I was told I had a good lvl of good cholesterol I think around 2.4 maybe a wee bit more. They want my total chol to be around 4.0 give or take alittle (if my memory serves me right..), I will be having this tested again in a months time :) So I will update to a more accurate reading :)

Do read up on it. Total cholesterol is fairly meaningless on its own. You need to know the lipid breakdowns. (HDL/LDL/ and more importantly, Triglycerides) Personally I refused statins after reading up about them. My lipids improved significantly (and I mean significantly) on my LCHF diet.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
How have you managed to come of medication and now on diet only. Very impressed Fergus. Must be your Lancashire blood, or is it the long walks with the doggie.
IMHO,
It's a bit of sheer bloody mindedness, and embracing low(er) carbing.
Did regular BG & BP checks pre diagnosis then in Apil 2008"something " went boom (BP spiked and had bleed stroke & went T2) Hosp put me on Bolus/basal so went low carb & worked to drop insulin (& then Glic) by 6 months I was @ 6.3 HbA1c. Despite warnings that HbA1c was getting too low I soon dropped to the mid 5's Not Lancashire, my antecedents hailed from just north of the Highland Line, swapping the black cattle:woot:

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Do read up on it. Total cholesterol is fairly meaningless on its own. You need to know the lipid breakdowns. (HDL/LDL/ and more importantly, Triglycerides) Personally I refused statins after reading up about them. My lipids improved significantly (and I mean significantly) on my LCHF diet.

Hi Yes I should remember what they told me about my lvls, I do know they were not happy with the bad cholesterol but pleased with the good. I have heart disease in the family and quite a few of my uncles and aunts have died at an early age due to heart attack. I was worried about taking statins as I know the side effects can be pretty frigtening (judging by what I have read on the leaflet, death is a side effect. but a rare one!) I did ask about this but they did assure me I wont be on them forever and that I shouldnt worry to much about it at the moment as the benefits right now for me outweigh the bad x

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Yes I should remember what they told me about my lvls, I do know they were not happy with the bad cholesterol but pleased with the good. I have heart disease in the family and quite a few of my uncles and aunts have died at an early age due to heart attack. I was worried about taking statins as I know the side effects can be pretty frigtening (judging by what I have read on the leaflet, death is a side effect. but a rare one!) I did ask about this but they did assure me I wont be on them forever and that I shouldnt worry to much about it at the moment as the benefits right now for me outweigh the bad x
My partner has been on statins for about 8 years due to family medical history. They are not as scary as they are made out to be. So go with the flow for now. IT will be interesting when you go for your next set of tests to see how much your levels have dropped due to LCHF diet. Because your body is not getting its energy from carbs it will burn the fat instead. Hopefully your cholesterol will drop with it. At the moment your body is probably in limbo with all the new medication and lifestyle change. I refuse to say I am on a LCHF diet, As diet makes it sound like I am on it purely to lose weight. It's just a different way of eating. Bit of a ****** when you go out for a meal or feel like having a snack. Seems strange when you can't have crisps but you can have pork scratchings without feeling guilty. A nice platter of cheese and grapes for dessert and chicken with the skin on all the veg you can eat and one or two roast potatoes.

Reactions: 4 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI there,
I've been on statins for years too - again its due to family history
The problem I found was leg cramps; really amazingly strong cramps - the ones in my shins were the worst!
My statins were only changed to a more modern type after I had pancreatitis - and apparently the statin I was on is linked to pancreatitis.
So, whereas on balance I have been very grateful for mine, I would agree there are definitely things to be taken into account.
And,
welcome to the forum!
Bee Gee

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.

This link Is very helpful indeed! And it shows the correct portion sizes also, which is good for me too, Judging by the sizes in the pictures I am viewing on the site Blue I think I may be having less at meal times, I have been really really stingy on my meals so much so my children have commented on the size dinners I am consuming! I think I may need to up my intake somewhat (of which I am completely happy on doing so!) I am a learner driver at this diabetes game and I will win - eventually :wacky:

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
HI there,
I've been on statins for years too - again its due to family history
The problem I found was leg cramps; really amazingly strong cramps - the ones in my shins were the worst!
My statins were only changed to a more modern type after I had pancreatitis - and apparently the statin I was on is linked to pancreatitis.
So, whereas on balance I have been very grateful for mine, I would agree there are definitely things to be taken into account.
And,
welcome to the forum!
Bee Gee

Hey Bee Gee! Thanks for the welcome :D. Ah leg cramps.. I suffer from them already! More so in my ankles and backs of thighs and always of a night... I have Polycystic Ovaries so quite often I will wake flushed and screeching in pain!. Indeed about the Statins - The reason the doc decided he would go down this route is because well - I am not the fittest of persons and there is major heart disease on the Irish side of my family, I weigh 13stone at a height of 5'5 so I am carrying quite abit of "backage" I am already on Bp meds - I was at normal healthy weight when I was pregnant with my first born yet I shown signs back then in my very early 20's of high bp and heart rate. I just dont think I can dodge a dodgey threatening ticker, so I am grateful for the support and meds offered to me. The doc I see is quite straight down the middle and he has told me if I dont get in shape now then in the furture I could see myself running into major trouble BUT as I am 33 I can start to reverse my health issues and take control back xx Either that or chuck myself on the nearest trash heap! :lurking: *I have an awful sense of humour*

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Liverbird1...I also have diverticulitis and have had a diversion for 10 years . LCHF can effect this. Not the kind of topic we can cover easily on open forum but if you ever feel the need , shout me up on a pm .

Sounds like you have a great gp there....a keeper for sure :)

Take care

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
@Liverbird1...I also have diverticulitis and have had a diversion for 10 years . LCHF can effect this. Not the kind of topic we can cover easily on open forum but if you ever feel the need , shout me up on a pm .

Sounds like you have a great gp there....a keeper for sure :)

Take care

Hey Bookmite ( Idont know how to PM you :S :inpain: as I do have some questions as it were with LCHF diet and diver... could you explain to me how to PM you ) The problem with my current doc I am under at the moment is he is training to be a full General Practioner so I doubt I will have him for any longer now than 3 months. Which I totally stressed to him that I will be gutted when he leaves! .. A wonderful young doctor, we need more like him for sure!. The docs I have been under since birth are *not to sound harsh* they are very old school on approach.. they are abrupt, lack a smile and I just cant have a laugh with them! I know it sounds silly but I thrive off laughter! but often when I have been under my own family doctor I come out of there practically in tears ... But this new doctor who I have been under for the past 2 months has been a breathe of fresh air. xx

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Bookmite ( Idont know how to PM you :S :inpain: as I do have some questions as it were with LCHF diet and diver... could you explain to me how to PM you ) The problem with my current doc I am under at the moment is he is training to be a full General Practioner so I doubt I will have him for any longer now than 3 months. Which I totally stressed to him that I will be gutted when he leaves! .. A wonderful young doctor, we need more like him for sure!. The docs I have been under since birth are *not to sound harsh* they are very old school on approach.. they are abrupt, lack a smile and I just cant have a laugh with them! I know it sounds silly but I thrive off laughter! but often when I have been under my own family doctor I come out of there practically in tears ... But this new doctor who I have been under for the past 2 months has been a breathe of fresh air. xx
If you press my avatar it will take you to my profile, from there there is a "message" envelope in the red top toolbar, hit that and type away :)