Saw the dietician yesterday . . . blah blah blah

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw the dietician yesterday. Well, what can I say? Same old same old. You've all been there. . . . .Basically I can eat what I like in moderation, drink the same as a non-diabetic when I go out, and there is no need to test with a meter because I will be getting my 3 monthly tests. It all seems to make sense when you're sitting there politely nodding, then you come home and realize that you really don't want to start eating in the way that they recommend because you value your health.
I would not have lost weight and got my sugars down if it hadn't been for the advice on this forum, so I am very grateful to you all and I'm going to stick with it.

Reactions: 9 people

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im confused at the not testing so often part i am told to do it as muh as i can

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Im confused at the not testing so often part i am told to do it as muh as i can
That's because your t1 on insulin. If your even t2 on insulin like myself, the health care professional ( I mention no one) could come out with drivel such as " you have got it under control so you only need to test three times a day". If your not on insulin, your lucky to be given a meter and strips on script.

G

graj0

Saw the dietician yesterday. Well, what can I say? Same old same old. You've all been there. . . . .Basically I can eat what I like in moderation, drink the same as a non-diabetic when I go out, and there is no need to test with a meter because I will be getting my 3 monthly tests. It all seems to make sense when you're sitting there politely nodding, then you come home and realize that you really don't want to start eating in the way that they recommend because you value your health.
I would not have lost weight and got my sugars down if it hadn't been for the advice on this forum, so I am very grateful to you all and I'm going to stick with it.
Were you not tempted, just a little bit, to point out that your weight loss and good BG was down to the exact opposite of her recommendation and maybe a sarcastic question about her credentials. I think I know the answer, sometimes these dieticians are so far up their own backsides with how much they think they know, it's not worth wasting your breath.
I went for some sort of weight education thing a couple of months back and was assessed by a dietician and a psychiatrist. It seems you have to get through them before being considered for gastric surgery, not that I had asked or even want gastric surgery, just that they will not look into why I consume about 1,000 calories a day and can't lose weight, unless I've wasted my time and theirs with all this other rubbish.
Anyway, when I told the dietician about my low carb approach and how I had lost 3 stone in the beginning and that I'd thrown away three lots of medication because I no longer needed them, the dietician was speechless, she couldn't suggest anything, especially when I showed her my food diary, with the weights of all the food I was eating, and a breakdown of fat/cholesterol/carbs/calories etc (WeightByDate software on PC).
They wrote me a lovely letter telling me what I already knew, they can't help me. Onwards and downwards, as we say in dieting circles. LOL
Well done by the way, keep up the good work.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I continue to despair of dieticians based on posts on the forums here. These people are rarely medically qualified and with a wide range of 'dietican' qualifications and often it seems with no understanding of diabetes. Why the NHS feels it can let these people lose on patients who have a serious health codntion is beyond me. Fortunately I've never been offered their services and would never accept if offered; it's too much of a lottery.

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My next door neighbours grandchild is a diabetic nurse and as she said works with diabetics all day. When she found out that I was diagnosed a type 2 she started to try and convince me that what I was eating and the amount of walking I was doing was wrong. Listened to about 1/2 hour of this, nodding and agreeing (as you do), then when she had finished I told her to have a look on this site and see what ACTUAL diabetics have to say about the bo***cks she had just dished out. WELL! that started WWlll.:D Let's see what she has to say if and when she ever comes on here.;):happy:

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My next door neighbours grandchild is a diabetic nurse and as she said works with diabetics all day. When she found out that I was diagnosed a type 2 she started to try and convince me that what I was eating and the amount of walking I was doing was wrong. Listened to about 1/2 hour of this, nodding and agreeing (as you do), then when she had finished I told her to have a look on this site and see what ACTUAL diabetics have to say about the bo***cks she had just dished out. WELL! that started WWlll.:D Let's see what she has to say if and when she ever comes on here.;):happy:

Blimey, I wish you had videoed it.
I would pay good money.

Sadly, I'm the sort of person who is much better at writing scathing wittification than actually saying it in real life.

If I want to sound even slightly 'clever' I have to practice beforehand, or I just shrug and let it pass - usually because I can't see the point of arguing against their entrenched ignorance. but I love a good fly-on-the-wall where people with more verbal sting than me enter the lists!

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were you not tempted, just a little bit, to point out that your weight loss and good BG was down to the exact opposite of her recommendation and maybe a sarcastic question about her credentials. I think I know the answer, sometimes these dieticians are so far up their own backsides with how much they think they know, it's not worth wasting your breath.
I went for some sort of weight education thing a couple of months back and was assessed by a dietician and a psychiatrist. It seems you have to get through them before being considered for gastric surgery, not that I had asked or even want gastric surgery, just that they will not look into why I consume about 1,000 calories a day and can't lose weight, unless I've wasted my time and theirs with all this other rubbish.
Anyway, when I told the dietician about my low carb approach and how I had lost 3 stone in the beginning and that I'd thrown away three lots of medication because I no longer needed them, the dietician was speechless, she couldn't suggest anything, especially when I showed her my food diary, with the weights of all the food I was eating, and a breakdown of fat/cholesterol/carbs/calories etc (WeightByDate software on PC).
They wrote me a lovely letter telling me what I already knew, they can't help me. Onwards and downwards, as we say in dieting circles. LOL
Well done by the way, keep up the good work.
have a read of insulin resistance, it seems everyone has a level of carb that will trigger weight gain, some it's 20g , some it's unlimited
upload_2014-12-19_3-47-29.png

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Loved the wry humour of your post!
I'm going for my first 3 month GP appointment at the end of December, so I'll see what they say to me!
Bee Gee

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the upshot of my meeting with the dietician is that I got a bit gung-ho with my eating today and now my b.g. is 9.5 which is the highest its been in 2 months. Keep me on track guys. . . .

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you are supposed to nod, not actually eat the muck and then have bacon and eggs, or find one that will help you with the diet you choose

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you look at carbs .. Just think of us all looking with you .... Then think of how we would all feel if you give into eating a shed load of carbs ... Then step away from the eat well plate and come back to us... Why ... Because your worth it ;)

Reactions: 2 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the upshot of my meeting with the dietician is that I got a bit gung-ho with my eating today and now my b.g. is 9.5 which is the highest its been in 2 months. Keep me on track guys. . . .
Take a little walk after tea and that will reduce it a bit.