newly diagnosed and waiting for pump to be fitted help!!

kat1989

Hi everyone im a newly diagnosed type one aged 25 and a mommy to a two year old,i found out september this year after being admitted to hospital with bloods being 25.4 i am 4-5 injections a day and hate doing them but i know they have to be done.
ive been told now i will have a pump fitted later next year can anyone tell me what to expect and the impact emotionally/socially it will have on me as im the only one in the family with it so have no one to talk about with who is the same shoes as me.
Any advice would be grateful thanks

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kat, I'm surprised no one as picked you up yet, I'm not a type 1 but a type 2 so won't be much help. There will be some type1's soon I'm sure to give you some reassurance and point you in the right direction altough you have definitely come to the right place for help.

@daisy1 should be along soon with lots of very useful information to help you.

In the meantime please don't panic we have all been there and it is daunting at first but it will start to fall into place, have a real good look around the forum and please don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need to.

Neil

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post to the insulin pump forum @kat1989 as you are more likely to get an answer here.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@kat1989 @daddys1

Hello Kat and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry I can't give you any information about pumps but what I can give you is general information which we give to new members. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help. Now that your post has been moved to the Insulin Pump forum you should start getting replies now.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kat1989 and welcome to the forum.

A pump will help you get better felxibility with your Diabetes and also great for you as you don't like doing injections. They are much more work than your current regime.

I've been on my pump for exactly 1 month now and am no-where near getting it all setup, thats a long way off.

I also have a two year old and I was finding that I was having a lot of hypos running around after him when I was on MDI but not so much now.

Having a pump is a little strange at first as it is the strangest thing in the world eating and not having to inject for it as such, just a couple of button presses and away you go so it will have a positive impact on your life. Just be ready to test, test, test and then do some more testing.

If you have anymore questions please ask :D

kat1989

Hi everyone thank you all for your replies its nice to know im not alone in this.
@dtennant9 running round after a little one is no fun especially middle of a hypo too.
They told me id need to atrend a course and be trained wirh 6-8 weeks before they finally fit me with one??
Is it uncomfortable having it put in?? And how much harder is it then tje needles??
Sorry for all the questions just trying to get my head round it.
Just finding out that i was type one was a shock and now finding out about the pump just knocked me abit

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kat
Welcome - it also came as a big shock to me when I got diagnosed in 1970 aged 12, it took a while to get used too and still some more time to take it seriously.

I've been pumping for a while now and it's the best change I ever made from injections, it takes some effort but it is worthwhile.
I've never let my diabetes stop me doing anything, I've travelled all over the world, take part in lots of sports.
There are lots of people on this forum who will be able to support you on this journey :)
I've not experienced any of the bad side effects mentioned in the post above.

kat1989

@Chas C Thank you for replying to me and i take it the pump is alot more work then the injections?? As thats what worrys me as i have a 2 year old to run round after aswell.
I know diabetea is never straight forward but want it to be as simple as it possibly can.
Just feel like i could rant in here as no one in my family have got it so they never understand when i have mt off day they think im using this as an excuse.
Or i always get told so and so has it worse then you and im like when did this illness become a competion on who has it worse or if that is even possible??

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone thank you all for your replies its nice to know im not alone in this.
@dtennant9 running round after a little one is no fun especially middle of a hypo too.
They told me id need to atrend a course and be trained wirh 6-8 weeks before they finally fit me with one??
Is it uncomfortable having it put in?? And how much harder is it then tje needles??
Sorry for all the questions just trying to get my head round it.
Just finding out that i was type one was a shock and now finding out about the pump just knocked me abit

No it's not easy having a hypo with a two year old around. I did have one tonight though when trying to run a Christmas party for 49 kids, which defo wasn't much fun.

I presume the 6-8 weeks training will included the DAFNE carb counting course or equivalent.

When going on mine we were in for a few hours on the Thursday then I had the pump put on with saline for the weekend to get used to it. On the Monday I went live.

It is not uncomfortable to put it on or wear the pump. As for inserting it I would say it is much easier than injections. Some people manually insert the set but I use an inserter. I basically set it all up, place the set device where I want to site the set and then press the buttons on the side and in it goes. You really don't feel a thing, and I did have painful injections from time to time. The needle comes out and the cannula stays in.

Finding out about type 1 is a shock for anybody and especially as it is still quite a new thing for you. Also as it comes on very quickly with most people it comes as more of a shock. Ironically I was tested for diabetes when I was born as my Gran has it but didn't have it then, took another 28 years for it to develop.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's how we learn. When I was in hospital being diagnosed with diabetes the registrar on the ward have me great advice to make sure you educate yourself in diabetes as it is the best way to control it and I have always tried to do that.

kat1989

@dtennant9 thank you for replying and yeah was abit of a shock when being diagnosed think of it wasnt for my mom and partner i wouldnt have gone to the docs to be looked at and scary thing was how quick i got seen at hospital and aa consultant come round told me i was about a week away from slipping into a coma as my bloods were very high :(
Yeah theve mentioned something about the dafne course to me and i know have to work out what carbs i have to eat.
Thats good to hear its not painful as every now and again i find the injections come sharp and sometime draw blood too.
So thanks for the message as reasurred me a little better now :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dtennant9 thank you for replying and yeah was abit of a shock when being diagnosed think of it wasnt for my mom and partner i wouldnt have gone to the docs to be looked at and scary thing was how quick i got seen at hospital and aa consultant come round told me i was about a week away from slipping into a coma as my bloods were very high :(
Yeah theve mentioned something about the dafne course to me and i know have to work out what carbs i have to eat.
Thats good to hear its not painful as every now and again i find the injections come sharp and sometime draw blood too.
So thanks for the message as reasurred me a little better now :)

No worries and anything else you want to know just ask.
Carb counting is crucial for a pump and you need to be confident at it but that'll all come.

kat1989

Is it hard to sleep woth the pump??and where do you put it under clothing last thing i want id my son spotting it.
Also i try my best with the carb counting so hopefully ill get that right before having the pump attached to me,do u still have to check.you blood like you do.with injections??

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it hard to sleep woth the pump??and where do you put it under clothing last thing i want id my son spotting it.
Also i try my best with the carb counting so hopefully ill get that right before having the pump attached to me,do u still have to check.you blood like you do.with injections??

Not at all, I just clip it to the front of my PJ bottoms so I can sleep on my back or side. Plenty of people just let it roam loose in the bed.

During the day I just clip it on to my belt or my pocket. Loads of ladies seem to clip it to their bra. My wee boy thinks its fascinating but does go pressing buttons or pulling at it.

Yes carb counting is crucial. Testing is also more important with a pump, especially in the early days.

kat1989

Oh right thats good to know think the bra idea is good at least then my son wont want to mess if he doesnt see it.
And ok so got to test more think im getting used to that about now,cant thank you enough @dtennant9 really put my mind at rest and nice to know im not the only one ☺

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Welcome kat1989, you are in the right place for help and support , I was diagnosed t2 about 2 yrs ago but it wasn't until I found this forum that I began to follow the advice offered and start to get my diabetes under control, ::))

kat1989

Yeah when i found out was a big shock and felt very alone as im the only one in the family to have it so had no one in my shoes to talk too,people on this forum have been great and very friendly which as helped me feel more relaxed about diabetes so really glad i joined now :)

Reactions: 4 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Chas C Thank you for replying to me and i take it the pump is alot more work then the injections?? As thats what worrys me as i have a 2 year old to run round after aswell.
I know diabetea is never straight forward but want it to be as simple as it possibly can.
Just feel like i could rant in here as no one in my family have got it so they never understand when i have mt off day they think im using this as an excuse.
Or i always get told so and so has it worse then you and im like when did this illness become a competion on who has it worse or if that is even possible??

Hi Kat

All in all I'd say easier than injections, not harder, but does take a bit of effort at front end to get going.

Understand the "being on your own" feeling, I too used to feel like this but not now :)

Not sure I understood your last sentence.

Chas

kat1989

Just when i have a really bad day if i have hypos or just no energy and people ask whats wrong they make out other people have it worse then me its like i make it up if that makes sense??

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh right thats good to know think the bra idea is good at least then my son wont want to mess if he doesnt see it.
And ok so got to test more think im getting used to that about now,cant thank you enough @dtennant9 really put my mind at rest and nice to know im not the only one ☺

No problem, you will find lots of helpful people on this Forum.

Testing is our only real way of figuring out what is going on with our blood.

If you have any other queries please just ask.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just when i have a really bad day if i have hypos or just no energy and people ask whats wrong they make out other people have it worse then me its like i make it up if that makes sense??

Ah ok sorry, yes now understand, because we look normal, people don't understand what's going on inside.
It does take time to get to grips with this, the mood swings caused by fast BG rises and falls, switching from mild mannered to very angry at the smallest of things.

One item that has helped me a lot is being able to afford to use the CGM, this together with the pump has allowed me to keep my BG from doing mad things without me knowing and letting me correct in time.

I'd expect you can do this without a CGM but its far too much effort for me :)