Christmas lunch!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With Christmas fast approaching does anyone have any tips for being able to still enjoy a nice lunch and overindulge a little bit for this one day of the year? I was diagnosed less than a week ago so I'm still working out my correct basal/bosul dosages but I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy a normal-ish lunch even though I'll definitely be much more restrained than usual!

I assume it's best to prepare by having a small/carb-free breakfast and then to give a much bigger dose of bolus prior to the meal. Apart from that, some exercise afterwards would be a good idea? I've no idea how I'll work out what units of bolus to give. I'm tending to give 1 unit for each 10g of carbs at the moment and it's roughly working out. My average levels are still quite high (like 8-12) as I'm only very gradually increasing my basal dosage as I'm worried of having a hypo.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you can kind of think ahead about what carbs your likely to have and then add on a bit more...........:)..............1 unit for every 10g is a good place to start.....

getting the insulin in early for me is important as this will help with the post meal spiking.......so 15 minutes before actually eating.........

one thing you can do is just test more, like, all the time, this way you can make sure hypos wont surprise you and it will help you make decisions on dosing for other carbs going in........[keep a note of active insulin on board, 4-5 hours novorapid lasts for...]

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Throw caution to the wind, if your not sure of the carb value of your Christmas meal then have a reduced insulin dose and correct later if necessary, this way you won't spoil your meal by going hypo (especially if you are dinning out) and can rectify your bg levels later.

If you want to eat a carb free breakfast go for it, you should also be able to miss it altogether and enjoy your lunch all the more if your basal dose is set correctly, if you do this just monitor your bg levels throughout the morning.

Reactions: 2 people

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a good way to approach the Christmas dinner is to cut way down on the potatoes but enjoy everything else. I won't be having Christmas pudding, to be honest it always left me feeling bloated and lethargic anyway. Instead I'm going to have strawberries with clotted cream and a sprinkling of high percent chocolate.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One day won't kill you. Keep a regular check on your blood glucose. Inject or eat to compensate.within reason..
ENJOY.
eating-cookies-smiley-emoticon.gif