The dark side is spreading. Old injection sites.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 3 pump areas - right of tummy round to hip, above waist/between ribs and the left side of tummy round to hip. The last one is nicknamed "the dark side" because it's where I've had the most issues.

The dark side is next to where I used to inject levemir, which caused me no end of issues and lumps. I don't use that area but it's not that far away. When I started pumping the left side was no issue. Four years later The first of the 4 in a row spots that I rotate on that side started to have issues with the set burning, becoming sore quickly and a lump after set removal. No infection though. I recently tried an inset 30 but same issues. the site works but burns, especially when I bolus. The inset 30 left a huge lump. I decided to miss that spot out for several months to give it a break. Now the next spot along is feeling sore and burny - like the issue is spreading. Do any of you know what this is?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Poor you @MushyPeaBrain. I've no experience with this yet, but hopefully others will be along to help. Good luck.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both for bumping. I'm guessing I'm alone with this issue on here. I thought with scar tissue you would get absorption problems/bent cannulas etc My DSN has no idea what is causing this issue either.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr B goes on at length about scarring from pumps, and it's why he doesn't like them. Other people must have experienced this. Is there another sub-forum where pump old hands would hang out?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes!! Mushy, try reposting on the Diabetes Management / Insulin Pump Forum. Excited !!

All the best, Lucy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry, mot experienced the sort of probs you are getting Mushy...hard to help.

I just used my bum constantly and no probs ever.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@LucySW who is Dr B? Are pumps worse for scarring than MDI then?

Not sure if I'm being dumb but isn't this in the pump forum part already or is there another part/site I don;t know about?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dr Bernstein..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It is in pump forum

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Sorry, Mushy. Yes it is. Low traffic I suppose.

We can't all be online all of the time - some of us have lives you know! :p

Sorry, Mushy. Yes it is. Low traffic I suppose.

Yes Dr B is Dr Richard Bernstein, who practises very very low carb regime so that insulin doses can be kept small. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FOQS66U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418931759&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

A lot of it is free online.

He's very good. It's tough though and he has a lot of opponents, not always for rational reasons.

He says scarring is much more of a problem with pumps. He prefers MDI.

I can't say I know what your problem is @MushyPeaBrain , but I used to use the nylon cannula and developed horrendous scarring and lumps forming (I was diagnosed with a high keloid content in my skin, which causes a higher degree of scar tissue). I changed to the 6mm steel and have not suffered the same issue since.

(I'm currently using the Vibe as well.)

Contact Animas to get some boxes of the steel cannulas (I think they do 9mm as well as 6mm), but it may also be worth asking your GP to arrange an appointment with a dermatologist.

Best wishes,
C.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @ConradJ I have tried the steel ones before - contact detach. I was worried I wouldn't be able to manage them as I'm needle phobic but actually I could insert them fine. However I found my BG went sky high (up to 18/20) for hours after the set change and then it would eventually come back down. It was very weird and nobody could explain what was going on, not even animas. I tried for weeks but was so ill was told to go back to insets. I have my delivery set to slow but one time the bolus was so powerful it was coming out of the contact detach site as well. My diabetes has never been normal (was studied in oxford when younger as I was first case of brittle diabetes they had seen) so I guess I'm just a weirdo and have to accept my fate!!!

Very interesting to read Dr Bs concerns over pumping. Have to say since pump my control has been better than ever but I do worry he is right that we all have 7 years max and then we get scar tissue. Scared me more that he says it will cause issues even if we return to MDI :(

iHs

I sometimes use my insulin pen to inject in my arm or tummy if my cartridge is running low or my bg levels have gone loopy loo due to whatever reason, but have found that after all the years of injecting insulin, my arms are still ok and my tummy is fine.

I feel that if you feel like you are flogging a dead horse with a pump and not knowing anymore where to place an infusion set, then it makes sense to ditch and go back to pens again. You will probably be fine as youve got the Libre now anyway.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@iHs I have considered going back to MDI but there are big flaws for me as a brittle diabetic. When ill for example I was often injecting 13 times a day to try and reduce BG. Not an issue with the pump. I would never get the control or flexibility of a pump on mdi as the usual 4 injections a day weren't working for me.

I also turned out to be allergic to levemir but took the doctors 3 years to realise this whilst I was getting more and more ill. I react to a lot of medicines and novorapid is one I am ok on. My doctors are uncertain of putting me on another background insulin - although there is a new one that lasts 48 hours I was very interested in.

My husband is very worried about me going back to mdi. The doctors have told me a pump will give me an extra 10 years life expectancy. I don't want to lose that. We are also looking at adopting a second child and the pump was one of the reasons they allowed me through as a diabetic. My current son has special needs so needing to inject would be much harder than being able just to bolus.

My head hurts trying to work out what to do for the best. At the moment I still have good areas and I am massaging with bio oil to try and help keep them that way. I'm taking skin supplements and just really doing all I can to keep pumping. The only other option is the diaport but that is very expensive and very hard to get onto. I doubt I would qualify currently as my hba1c is very good.