Am I being a grumpy old git or what

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand why your wife could not look for somewhere that catered for both of your dietary needs, it is not as though she doesn't know your preferences.

i agree, but with the caveat that it is complicated for others. In my (extended but around at Xmas) family, there's me (T1, LCHF), vegans, vegetarians, veg-refusers, fast-food lovers, meat eaters, carb-adorers, small children, pasta-lovers, pasta-refusers, post-op-digestive-problem-soft-food needers, weightwatchers, plus a mixture of all of these categories and probably more ..... :)

Reactions: 2 people

goodfood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am along sttanding type 1 diabetic . (44yrs on insulin) and god do I sympathise with you. My daughter in law is a VEGAN . do not get me wrong, I can relate to people who have dietary preferences, b utt when I visit, no consideration whatsoever is taken of my needs eg carbs available or even some lucozade . Meals are erratic . I am quite happy to pitch in and cook etc but dare not include anything contain ing meat or dairy. ok. can do but she has to have her frequent veg meals and I am not included. Am I being bitchy YES but this relates to reasonable consideration of the dietary needs of persons. Hang in there we will survive.

H

Hooked

Having had a vegan BIL, I can sympathise. Restaurant choices for family meals revolved around him, and whether he liked their selection of vegan offerings. Always well catered for and fussed around for his "healthy" lifestyle choice. He has since gone back to eating a more normal diet since suffering health issues exacerbated by his so called healthy eating.

If other people are arranging things, yes we can make some adjustments to compensate. But when it's your nearest and dearest and they tiptoe around someone's life style CHOICES and don't take into consideration your medical NEEDS, yes - it's gonna hurt like hell and you have every right to be grumpy.

Reactions: 6 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So ... Because one person was vegetarian everyone had to eat vegetarian? By the same reasoning how dare they eat cake in front of you lol

I'm also a vegetarian and have T1 ... Having worked as a chef for 10 years I generally just ask them to make me something special if what I want isn't on the menu. I never mind what people eat in front of me - they make their choices and I make mine.

I don't think you're being a grumpy old git - I woulda been ****** too!
Just to be clear, I have no problem with the vegetarian food, I like vegetarian food as much as any other if well cooked

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose all points are valid in one way or another. It probably boils down to whether you are out for the food or company.

I eat out 3 times a week and I don't find it unduly difficult to compromise.

Happy eating

I travel extensively for work adn eat out several times a week, breakfast lunch and dinner.

This is the first time I've been struggling with menu choices whether veggie or not.

If you ever happen to be in Aberdeen I can suggest a good few restaurants that offer some very good veggie choices.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A restaurant is a business though not a social care service for minority diets. Obviously they have to take certain precautions because of health reasons such as allergies to nuts etc but ultimately the owner can do what they want. If they are getting business through the door with the menu they are providing they will continue to do so.
If you want to argue the point to the extreme you could get the hump if you went into an Italian restaurant and they didn't have prawn madras on the menu because you want it. There are lots of places that do cater for the food you want so you go to those and don't go to the ones that you don't like.

I agree with you!

A

AnnieC

Don't you think that low-carb options should be on any restaurant menu?
It's not just a small % of diabetics who might want to eat other nutrients apart from carbs.
Anyone might prefer a low-carb option, for lots of different reasons: dietary, taste, variety, calories, allergies etc ....
I know what you mean by 'treat'. It's something I've heard others say to me. Because they themselves can't imagine not eating carbs. I think perhaps they feel sorry for me that I 'can't' eat carbs.
Personally, something high in carbs is no longer a 'treat' for me. That's my misfortune, maybe, but it doesn't feel like that. :)
I do not think that restaurants are really able to cater for different diets it would not be cost effective for them. They have to serve the food that the marjority of customers want not for the minority I am sure at most restaurants there is always something a low carber can have in the way of meat and vegetables,..ie.steak mushrooms and a side salad instead of the chips or grilled fish with a salad or a cavery where you can choose the vegetables you eat

Last edited:

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having had a vegan BIL, I can sympathise. Restaurant choices for family meals revolved around him, and whether he liked their selection of vegan offerings. Always well catered for and fussed around for his "healthy" lifestyle choice. He has since gone back to eating a more normal diet since suffering health issues exacerbated by his so called healthy eating.

If other people are arranging things, yes we can make some adjustments to compensate. But when it's your nearest and dearest and they tiptoe around someone's life style CHOICES and don't take into consideration your medical NEEDS, yes - it's gonna hurt like hell and you have every right to be grumpy.

The Voice of reasons......

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I travel extensively for work adn eat out several times a week, breakfast lunch and dinner.

This is the first time I've been struggling with menu choices whether veggie or not.

If you ever happen to be in Aberdeen I can suggest a good few restaurants that offer some very good veggie choices.

I'm a ravenous carnivore

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I am well aware that I eat fish but I don't eat meat, vege pescatarian call me what you want. My point was that someone put some food in front of me that I didn't normally eat but I got on with it as I hadn't previously informed them about my requirements. If Ely Dave had not discussed in advance with his wife where they were going and then it wasn't to his liking it's his fault. He needs to be having this discussion with her in advance rather than complaining after the fact and upsetting her birthday.
As his wife one would think she'd surely know his dietary requirements?:rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 people

kandiekane87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest is sounds a bit over dramatic. Your wife knows you better than anyone and I'm sure as she is your wife you have certain degree of love in your relationship so of course she wouldn't want to endanger your health. Sometimes it is easy to forget about the diabetes being such an impact on our lives especially for our partners. Vent til you hearts content hopefully you had a good time regardless of the poor food choices. I have vegan and vegetarian friends and it can be really hard finding a place that we can all enjoy so when we get together we usually do cantonese/chinese food as they have a low carb high protein options and also a choice of boiled rice instead of fried it works in our favour. Hope your venting helped!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I be the only one to disagree? I don't think it's a case of a medical condition trumping a lifestyle choice or vice versa. However sometimes we have to do things in life that we don't want to and just get on with them.
Yes you are a diabetic but a few carbs aren't going to kill you. All you've done is ****** your wife off which in my opinion is inviting trouble for months to come.
Personally I am a vege as well as T1 yet I have been served meat bolognaise at someone's house (meat and carbs) but just got on with it and said thank you that was a lovely meal.
So yes you are a grumpy old git :)

I would do the same as you in the situation you describe, but I don't agree that @ElyDave is a 'grumpy old git', (using his words), just temporarily using the wrong tactics? Might be better to have other people believe that his is the lifestyle choice, and that the veggie sister-in-law is the one who needs TLC?

I am sometimes expected to eat carbs for the convenience of others and I refuse to be offended by it. It's their problem, not mine. It's empowering. It means that, like @Avocado Sevenfold 's nephew's restaurant party, it's the occasion not the food that matters, leave the food issues for discussion in the cold light of day, where you can argue your case that, for your health, you can't, and won't, go on eating the wrong things.

It's possible that @ElyDave's wife felt torn between Dave and her sister, and maybe hard-done-by herself as it was her birthday, and felt she could rely on Dave to occupy the moral high ground, but poor Dave felt below par(?) and grumpy apparently. :):(;)

An interesting case, Watson. :)
Sorry if I've overstepped the mark, but it's great, as we can see from everyone's interest in the subject, that @ElyDave is willing to bare his soul on this. :eek:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
To be honest is sounds a bit over dramatic. Your wife knows you better than anyone and I'm sure as she is your wife you have certain degree of love in your relationship so of course she wouldn't want to endanger your health. Sometimes it is easy to forget about the diabetes being such an impact on our lives especially for our partners. Vent til you hearts content hopefully you had a good time regardless of the poor food choices. I have vegan and vegetarian friends and it can be really hard finding a place that we can all enjoy so when we get together we usually do cantonese/chinese food as they have a low carb high protein options and also a choice of boiled rice instead of fried it works in our favour. Hope your venting helped!
Boiled rice?!!! Really???? 2 spoonfuls of rice and I hit double figures! Indian! Now you're talking!

Reactions: 4 people