Cataract surgery

A

AnnieC

Well first cataract op done yesterday afternoon my eye felt very gritty after and was really uncomfortable. This morning that has almost worn off but the eye is still quite blurred just wondered if anyone here has had it done and how long does it take to clear...I know mine has been done less than 24 hours so perhaps I am being to impatient

C

catherinecherub

I'll alert @CarbsRok as she had this done recently.
I am sure others will answer too.

You are being a bit impatient Annie but I am sure you will soon feel the benefit.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well first cataract op done yesterday afternoon my eye felt very gritty after and was really uncomfortable. This morning that has almost worn off but the eye is still quite blurred just wondered if anyone here has had it done and how long does it take to clear...I know mine has been done less than 24 hours so perhaps I am being to impatient
My mom had one eye done a few months ago, and is having her other eye operated on tomorrow.
In her case she could see improvement in her vision straight away almost, but I remember her saying that it took longer for others in the group that were operated on at the same time (and so went for post operational reviews on the same days) as my mother. So it depends on the individual.

The important thing is to keep taking the eye drops as instructed and to avoid anything strenuous like lifting anything heavy,

When do you get to see the eye doctor again?

Take care

Pavlos

A

AnnieC

My mom had one eye done a few months ago, and is having her other eye operated on tomorrow.
In her case she could see improvement in her vision straight away almost, but I remember her saying that it took longer for others in the group that were operated on at the same time (and so went for post operational reviews on the same days) as my mother. So it depends on the individual.

The important thing is to keep taking the eye drops as instructed and to avoid anything strenuous like lifting anything heavy,

When do you get to see the eye doctor again?

Take care

Pavlos
Follow up appointment is 2 weeks. Yes I will keep using the drops could be a bit awkward if we go out though as they are 4 times a day

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Follow up appointment is 2 weeks. Yes I will keep using the drops could be a bit awkward if we go out though as they are 4 times a day
At least in the UK you don't have to worry about dust so much. Here in Cyprus were it is very dry, it can be a real problem.

I had to help my mom with the drops and if I remember they had to be quite frequent on the first day.

I think that she had to go in to be seen by her doctor again 24 hours after the surgery and then again two or three weeks later.

Try and take it easy in the next couple of weeks

Pavlos

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Annie, you should have been given a leaflet with instructions as to what to look out for after you op :) If at all concerned ring the number you were given.
Your eye will feel gritty for a few days or weeks, this is quite normal so don't worry about it. The instructions on my leaflets were to take some pain meds like paracetamol and if this doesn't work or the pain gets worse then to ring the clinic. It also says vision will not be perfect for a few days. If light sensitive wear sunglasses.
Please what ever you do don't stop your drops or miss any of the doses. Those drops are vital for recovery. Better to have some inconvenience than lose your vision.
Hope your recovery goes well.

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

Hi Annie, you should have been given a leaflet with instructions as to what to look out for after you op :) If at all concerned ring the number you were given.
Your eye will feel gritty for a few days or weeks, this is quite normal so don't worry about it. The instructions on my leaflets were to take some pain meds like paracetamol and if this doesn't work or the pain gets worse then to ring the clinic. It also says vision will not be perfect for a few days. If light sensitive wear sunglasses.
Please what ever you do don't stop your drops or miss any of the doses. Those drops are vital for recovery. Better to have some inconvenience than lose your vision.
Hope your recovery goes well.
I did get a leaflet with instructions and know how important it is to use the drops as prescribed it did say gritty eyes were normal for a while. It's 24 hours since I had the op and my eye has cleared and is hardly gritty now so I think I was just being to impatient

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I did get a leaflet with instructions and know how important it is to use the drops as prescribed it did say gritty eyes were normal for a while. It's 24 hours since I had the op and my eye has cleared and is hardly gritty now so I think I was just being to impatient
Great really pleased to hear it :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I hope you have a really good recovery. I had eye surgery last year( not cataract) and had to have 11 drops per day, as already said it is importsant to read the PIL and get those drops in.

Good luck and all the best RRbB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Great news Annie, hope you see (no pun intended) the benefits of the cataract surgery :)