Depressed about type 2

louch1

In October I found out that i was type 2. It was a blow as I thought I worked really hard to loose weight. I used to be a size 26-28 but through using the hairy bikers recipes and starting to run three times per week (4.30 am) I am now at size 20 nearly a size 18.
I just find it so hard that my family sit eat cakes and whatever they want but I have to watch , test my blood and exercise.
I knew at some point I would become a diabetic due to my strong family history but I just find it difficult sometimes knowing I have put all this effort it to avoid it but it still happened.
Does anyone else feel fed up?

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Welcome to the club! And the forum. Yes, it's not a lot of fun. Even depressing at times. And frustrating. It's great that you lost so much weight. I try to look on the positive side of my diabetes (which anyone who knows me would not believe). Because of the diagnosis I lost a bunch of weight and feel quite healthy now. I've never heard of the hairy bikers before. I just took a look at their website and they appear to be pushing a low fat approach to weight loss. I think this is an ok approach if you are not a type 2 diabetic. What I eventually found was that cutting way back on carbs and not worrying about the amount of fat allowed me to keep my blood sugar under control (the main goal), lose weight, lower my blood pressure, and improve my cholesterol numbers. It's also a much more sustainable diet for me. I no longer eat anything between meals - something I had done since I was wee. I no longer have food cravings. I can look at a plate of pastries or biscuits at the office and not even been tempted to have even just one. I don't have to starve myself to lose weight. I eat about 2300 to 2500 calories a day and am losing weight. Before, on a low fat diet I had to cut down to below 1800 calories to lose weight.

I hope you get something out of this forum. Just reading many of the threads can be very helpful. If you post a question, you will get lots of answers.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I think we all feel fed up at one time or another, but it helps if you look on it as a kick in the bum to really do something positive with your life. When you see family and friends stuffing themselves with cakes, smile to yourself because you are right not to eat them, and they are wrong. They are not doing their health any good at all, but you are. Don't dwell on what you can't eat, just think what you can eat - lovely fry-ups for a start. Yummy bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, and high meat sausages (90% meat). Much nicer than a cake in my opinion. You can lose even more weight (well done so far), lower your blood pressure and cholesterol, and feel healthy and fit just by cutting right down on your carbs.

Thread is locked currently undergoing edit. Anna29.

Stay posting on this forum because you will get all the support you need. Ask questions, and join in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I find that I am depressed not so much about the T2 itself but by the ignorance and ill information exuding from the practice nurse at my surgery. I know that I am controlling the D well, but her misinformation wears me down:(:(:(

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I find that I am depressed not so much about the T2 itself but by the ignorance and ill information exuding from the practice nurse at my surgery. I know that I am controlling the D well, but her misinformation wears me down:(:(:(
Cant you attempt to educate her ?
Show her your past to present diabetes journey for example .

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Cant you attempt to educate her ?
Show her your past to present diabetes journey for example .
I don't think so.
For example, she spouts that my HbA1c is dangerously low, I ask for references , she says "an eminent researcher "but refuses to name him/her or the study:mad:
I think she can only work on the level of giving "info" but being unable to back up the info or take in anything from the patient!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
How strange - all my journey and progress is logged on my medical history .
There for all to read up on kind of thing .
Easy to convey/refer all info and see updated results aside all my test results .

Medics do like to see numbers and statistics - this is what they like to work from .
Some more than others I have noticed .
Your low levels HbA1c speak of success anyways .

If your depressed over this nurse , try another possibly ?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Reducing the carbs is the key to both weight loss and lowering Blood sugar. Low fat diets are based on badly researched and presented data and conveniently happen to suit the food industry; fat doesn't make you fat. It can be very difficult when family and friends around you are pigging out on carby cakes etc. All you can do is slowly educate them in their foolishness and susceptiblity to adverstisng and silly TV baking programmes

Reactions: 2 people

louch1

Thank you all . It's great to know that I am not the only one who gets depressed.
I have my nurse appointment next week and to go through all of the base line checks so I will let her know how I feel

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Ask your DSN to do a depression checklist with you and see how you score. Clinical depression and diabetes go hand in hand with too much emphasis on all the physical stuff like bloods etc.

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm at a similar stage, I was a size 30 dress size lost 7 stone, I'm a size 22 now, only diagnosed 3 weeks and yes Depression has hit, in someways the more I research T2 the more depressed I get,
However I feel I must get to know T2 and not bury my head in the sand, I will control this not the other way round.
Let them Eat Cake :) think of how great you will look and feel in 6 months :) all the best

Reactions: 8 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you all . It's great to know that I am not the only one who gets depressed.
I have my nurse appointment next week and to go through all of the base line checks so I will let her know how I feel

I felt terrible when I got the news. Was in denial for ages, when it sank in i got quite depressed. By that time though I had only made myself worse by eating so much sugary stuff ... Got citalapram in the end. Helped loads

Reactions: 4 people

louch1

I think the reason why it felt like such a blow is that I worked hard to get to the place I am now. I could understand it more if I was back at my largest size and still stuffing my face.
As one of the ladies who I work with says at least you know now and then hopefully you can stop any further damage being done . I think I am so grateful with the support I have had from work. They have said they would support me whatever way possible. Even a lady from the office( I work in a school) leant me her daughters spare testing kit until I brought my own . My motto is 1 day at a time. :)

Reactions: 2 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My motto is 1 day at a time. :)

That's all you can do. It's a marathon not a race! Can't sort it all in one go, just chip away at it.
My first step was to pack in the smokes. Done nearly a year now. Working on my diet now and weight loss is the next step

Reactions: 6 people

Supermario46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think so.
For example, she spouts that my HbA1c is dangerously low, I ask for references , she says "an eminent researcher "but refuses to name him/her or the study:mad:
I think she can only work on the level of giving "info" but being unable to back up the info or take in anything from the patient!
If you look on a site called "blood sugar 101" there is a page that deals with low hba1c and the research that is supposed to have "proved" that there is an increased risk of a cardiovascular event with low hba1c. As you shall see by the break down of the research, Low hba1c is not dangerous at all.
Print out the article and give it to the practice nurse in question.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If you look on a site called "blood sugar 101" there is a page that deals with low hba1c and the research that is supposed to have "proved" that there is an increased risk of a cardiovascular event with low hba1c. As you shall see by the break down of the research, Low hba1c is not dangerous at all.
Print out the article and give it to the practice nurse in question.
Thanks,
I already know that she is talking b@llocks, but it is the drip, drip drip that wears you down:confused:

Reactions: 3 people

Supermario46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe the time has come to let her have both barrels. Print the article on A3 paper, and beat her around the head with it. Just a thought.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi louch1
try to keep your chin up -- reading your posts you are doing amazing and should be so proud of yourself.
D is never easy and often not much fun but i always think there are people worse off than me and i tackle the next challenge with renewed vigour.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I get so depressed too. I'm trying, once again, to lose weight. Since November I've lost 15.2kg. I can't eat a high fat diet as it triggers my IBS off. So I've cut down on amount I eat, now two thirds less, and more vegetables, fruit, white meat, fish.
I have noticed that after taking my meds my bs goes up. Does anybody else have this problem?