Can I prove the Dr's wrong?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brunneria,

I always think of you as magnificent in every way.

I do think I may still be a teeny bit insulin resistant, hence am asking to go back on Met. I'm quite svelte these days tho - not actually skinny yet, but look it. On the good side, I look pretty good in my nice new skinny jeans, which I take great pleasure in flaunting. And I'm activeish, and am about to start my daily 40 mins torture including pushups and planks (O, my poor blood pressure rises even at the thought !! O !! ) .. But that hi-fat diet that lets me not snack - that makes you a bit insulin resistant.

I'm just a wimp about injecting any more insulin. I feel I shouldn't need it yet.

But if you're at 5 with all the caveats you've listed, that's truly magnificent!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Excellent, your diligence and hard work is an inspiration ,give yourself a⭐

elaine77

Sorry to hear about your thyroid Ian. It sounds as though ur beta cells are not very active due to the low carb and so the immune system is looking for something else to attack and has chosen your thyroid :-(.

Hope this is not the case and they sort it out soon but the immune system is a funny thing once it goes haywire lol! It really done a number on my beta cells over 2 years :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Interesting Hospital diabetic appointment today.... I thought it was with the nurse, but turned out to be dietician. A different one to last time.

She looked up my notes including recent blood test health check and looked over my BG readings. She said that my excellent cholesterol level results etc. with my diet goes against all her training guidelines, but advised me to carry on eating LcHf as it is clearly working for me.... And for her T1 nurse colleague who is also LcHf.

My wife afterwards said she thought the young dietician learned a lot from me today, completely opening her mind to the LcHf diet.

Hba1c a little lower at 5.1% (32) from 5.2% three months ago. My own BG reading averages have been consistently flat over the last 5 months so happy with that.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh.

Have a million 'likes' :happy:

This is how things will change. One nurse/dietician/HCP at a time. :happy:

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Send your dieticians here will you Ian LOL! I've sworn off them for life after last week! Well done on the HbA1c - excellent result!

Smidge

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
BG levels have risen over January. Pre breakfast have gone from a steady average over 5 months of just under 5.0 to 5.7 over last 4 weeks, with a couple of 7s.

Hopefully I am putting this down to catching a cold just after Xmas, which I have not been able to clear completely, which GP said a week ago is flue and have now taken antibiotics. On top of that a 10 day trip to Australia and a few other travelling away from home trips. My BG levels always rise when travelling!.

Hoping to be able to get back to pre breakfast sub 5s again, but time will tell whether my high BG levels have further compromised my insulin making beta cells. Many studies say damage is done with levels above 7.8. My highest recorded reading over the last month has been 7.2, but more than likely higher at some point in time.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
What a palaver.... At my last diabetic hospital appointment I asked for a half unit pen. Nurse had to get Dr to ok it, but he agreed but had to go through my GP for a prescription. This worked so a week later I picked up pen, opened box at home..... No insulin, back to gp pharmacy and asked for insulin, they had no idea what type I needed, so back to hospital, where they gave me an insulin cartridge. Back home, I then realised I need needles. No needles. GP pharmacy not sure which ones I need, gave me a handful, but still not 100% sure if they are the right ones, as I want to keep insulin unopened in fridge!!!!..... Back to diabetic hospital next week, so will take the lot to them..... I guess I got what I asked for.... Just a half unit pen!!

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Another visit to my hospital DSN. Not surprisingly my Hba1c increased (for the first time ever in 16 months) from 5.1% to 5.5%, reflecting my higher January BG readings.

But equally surprisingly, my BG over the last 7 days have been brilliant, averaging under 4.5 pre breakfast with not a single reading over 4.7. I don't really know why, except that we have been at home all week, no restaurant meals, no travelling, no viruses.

Don't know how long these BG levels will last, only time will tell.

I took my copy of Dr Trudi Deakins Eat Fat book with me. DSN hadn't seen it before, but said 'Things are changing'. We now support any patient who wants to go LcHf.

Reactions: 12 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Recently had a fasting blood test and phoned the docs yesterday about the results.
Blood glucose is fine but I need to come in to see about my cholesterol levels. because they are 5.6.
Last time it was 8.6 and my heart age was 76 .... I'm 61.
So far I only know the total level of 5.6 and am of the understanding that is the average British reading.
So I'm down from the eights and into the fives since going LCHF.
Be interesting to see what they have to say.
I take no medication for cholesterol problems.

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently had a fasting blood test and phoned the docs yesterday about the results.
Blood glucose is fine but I need to come in to see about my cholesterol levels. because they are 5.6.
Last time it was 8.6 and my heart age was 76 .... I'm 61.
So far I only know the total level of 5.6 and am of the understanding that is the average British reading.
So I'm down from the eights and into the fives since going LCHF.
Be interesting to see what they have to say.
I take no medication for cholesterol problems.
On cholesterol numbers, see Kenneth Sikaris Youtube videos, Jack.

Normally LCHF raises total and LDL cholesterol, but lowers triglycerides and raises HDL. Those last two are what matters.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a palaver.... At my last diabetic hospital appointment I asked for a half unit pen. Nurse had to get Dr to ok it, but he agreed but had to go through my GP for a prescription. This worked so a week later I picked up pen, opened box at home..... No insulin, back to gp pharmacy and asked for insulin, they had no idea what type I needed, so back to hospital, where they gave me an insulin cartridge. Back home, I then realised I need needles. No needles. GP pharmacy not sure which ones I need, gave me a handful, but still not 100% sure if they are the right ones, as I want to keep insulin unopened in fridge!!!!..... Back to diabetic hospital next week, so will take the lot to them..... I guess I got what I asked for.... Just a half unit pen!!

That made me laugh, Ian. I got to the point in the early days where I felt like I should make a list of all the things a newly-insulin-using diabetic needs - sadly I never did it. I had the whole backwards and forwards mess around. Once you have your insulin, pens, needles - you also need sharps bins - and you - need to know the process by which these are delivered and collected in your region (mine come on prescription and I collect them from the pharmacy but I have to ring the refuse department at the council to get them collected). This isn't the same all over the country. You also need to know how to get rid of unused or half used insulin cartridges - those go in the sharps bin as well BTW! You also need a spare pen in case the one you've got breaks.

I used to think 'how can the NHS be so inefficient that they feel it better to have every diabetic in the country constantly ringing or visiting backwards and forwards between GP and hospital to sort out all the information they need rather than just issue an information sheet with it all on?' But still it goes on- the failure demand must waste 100s of 1000s of pounds in staff and patient time.

Smidge

P.s. Brilliant that the levels have come back to normal - I find any break in routine sends mine up.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Talking about Inefficient NHS.
I have had my feet checked twice now in two weeks. Once by my GP DSN the other by my hospital DSN!

Mean time my GP DSN has again cancelled my test strip prescription... But my hospital DSN says I need them because I have been prescribed insulin. Another appointment needed with my GP who last time (only 6 months ago) agreed that I need test strips.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Another visit to my hospital DSN. Not surprisingly my Hba1c increased (for the first time ever in 16 months) from 5.1% to 5.5%, reflecting my higher January BG readings.

But equally surprisingly, my BG over the last 7 days have been brilliant, averaging under 4.5 pre breakfast with not a single reading over 4.7. I don't really know why, except that we have been at home all week, no restaurant meals, no travelling, no viruses.

Don't know how long these BG levels will last, only time will tell.

I took my copy of Dr Trudi Deakins Eat Fat book with me. DSN hadn't seen it before, but said 'Things are changing'. We now support any patient who wants to go LcHf.

kind of makes you want to scream at the person and say -- I TOLD YOU SO :rolleyes:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
you also need sharps bins - and you - need to know the process by which these are delivered and collected in your region (mine come on prescription and I collect them from the pharmacy but I have to ring the refuse department at the council to get them collected). This isn't the same all over the country. You also need to know how to get rid of unused or half used insulin cartridges - those go in the sharps bin as well BTW!

Still haven't got mine sorted out - I th you need to pay for sharps bins here and I don't see why I should. Have all my used sharps in a giant, rather smelly plastic bag till I solve it :-(

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Remarkably my BG levels have stayed low for 4 weeks now, better and more consistent than they have ever been, since diagnosis nearly 18 months ago. I had thought I was heading towards insulin because I had seen a rise through January, but hoped that this was due to travelling and illnesses. Thus I was hoping to get back to just below the 5.0s pre breakfast, pleasantly surprised at an average pre breakfast of 4.33, as shown on attached graph. I don't know why, no real change in diet or weight, and I don't know how long it will last for...... Time will tell. It's 15 months since my consultant said I would be on insulin within weeks!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1425716589.913333.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That is remarkable, Ian. But you've earned every single good day by your steadiness and commitment in the beginning. Well done in the beginning, and congratulations now. Your story just shows what concentration, reading, independent judgement and attention to detail can do. Bravo my dear.