Christmas .............BAH HUMBUG

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I've read all the replies and thanks to everyone for trying to help me understand a little bit more about what and what isn't allowed in regards to Christmas dinner. Soup apparently is fine, it's the main course that seems to be the problem, so I took it upon myself to contact Heinz and explain our dilemma as diabetics and they told me they would look into it and get back to me. True enough I received a call from them saying they have come up with a solution................................................

soup christmas dinner for one.jpg
chef hat smiley.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

hornplayer

Not sure what I'm going to eat this year. There'll be nine of us for dinner. - I'm cooking. Two kids who eat mostly paleo, two fitness fanatics who are (I think) completely paleo, Dad, who's kinda low carb but won't eat turkey, three others who like things traditional. (- I'm sorry, but I draw the line at mushy sprouts!) and me.

So,

Turkey,
Roast beef
Roast potatoes
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Roast parsnips
Roast carrots
Roast onions
Butternut squash,Stilton and pecan nuts
Cauliflower cheese
Runner beans
Broccoli
Sprouts, thinly sliced,fried in butter
Turkey gravy
Beef gravy
Sausages wrapped in pancetta
Mushroom stuffing

Haven't decided what to do for starters yet.

Dessert will probably be something along the lines of
strawberry and passion fruit pavlova,
Honey and cinnamon icecream "cheese cake with a crushed nut and praline crust,
Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate with extra thick double cream,
Or stuff out of my new paleo dessert book. - depends how "paleo" my brother and his family decide they want to be this year.

Obviously I can't eat a lot of that, but, to be honest, after I've cooked it and got it on the table, I'm kinda over the whole eating thing.

I aim to have something for everyone and enough leftovers to not have to do any substantial cooking for a day or two, despite there being what feels like hoards of people in the house! Cold cuts, some weird and wonderful salad type combinations, roast vegetable Falafel type things, - what ever I feel like making up really. It's not hard to keep things relatively low carb if you think outside the box.

'Course, vodka helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what I'm going to eat this year. There'll be nine of us for dinner. - I'm cooking. Two kids who eat mostly paleo, two fitness fanatics who are (I think) completely paleo, Dad, who's kinda low carb but won't eat turkey, three others who like things traditional. (- I'm sorry, but I draw the line at mushy sprouts!) and me.

So,

Turkey,
Roast beef
Roast potatoes
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Roast parsnips
Roast carrots
Roast onions
Butternut squash,Stilton and pecan nuts
Cauliflower cheese
Runner beans
Broccoli
Sprouts, thinly sliced,fried in butter
Turkey gravy
Beef gravy
Sausages wrapped in pancetta
Mushroom stuffing

Haven't decided what to do for starters yet.

Dessert will probably be something along the lines of
strawberry and passion fruit pavlova,
Honey and cinnamon icecream "cheese cake with a crushed nut and praline crust,
Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate with extra thick double cream,
Or stuff out of my new paleo dessert book. - depends how "paleo" my brother and his family decide they want to be this year.

Obviously I can't eat a lot of that, but, to be honest, after I've cooked it and got it on the table, I'm kinda over the whole eating thing.

I aim to have something for everyone and enough leftovers to not have to do any substantial cooking for a day or two, despite there being what feels like hoards of people in the house! Cold cuts, some weird and wonderful salad type combinations, roast vegetable Falafel type things, - what ever I feel like making up really. It's not hard to keep things relatively low carb if you think outside the box.

'Course, vodka helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Blimey!
You are a far braver person than I!

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well for the first time in years Turkey is off the menu in this house, probably going for roast beef with yorkies and roast spuds and selection of veg. I did suggest the Steak and Stilton option put I was told it was not christmassy enough.

To me Christmas is about family (wife\husband\partner and kids) so we don't go anywhere on Xmas day we spend it at home together. For the second year running the wife has got out of working Christmas and Boxing day (she work for a mobile phone company call centre) although if she did work Christmas day they do get Christmas dinner brought in for them.

I have a picture of me in a bah humbug hat but I cant find it, wife gets upset when I wear it while out shopping...........

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politicians
As new diabetic - result of massive steroids - pretty impossible to control - here in Australia we usually eat Baked Ham, Roast Pork and Turkey, lots of baked vegs etc, fruit salad and ice cream. I will have to review all of this this year but I'll get by. Hope you all have a very happy Xmas -

Reactions: 5 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As new diabetic - result of massive steroids - pretty impossible to control - here in Australia we usually eat Baked Ham, Roast Pork and Turkey, lots of baked vegs etc, fruit salad and ice cream. I will have to review all of this this year but I'll get by. Hope you all have a very happy Xmas -
Welcome Neale. Steroids did for me as well. @daisy1 will be along with some interesting information for a newbie.

Reactions: 5 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Well I am going to have what I want on Xmas day. I will be treating it as a perk of diabetes lol

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Reactions: 7 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

I read that as cooking two kids :eek:

Reactions: 6 people