Dialysis imminent

cheza31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all I've posted a few times about my complications and just thought I'd have a lil moan about the damage I've done. I was diagnosed with stage 4 chronic kidney disease in April and was told I would need dialysis in the future I didn't realise the future would be just 6 months later. When I was diagnosed diabetic when I was 12 I was told of all the risks and damage that could be caused by not looking after myself, I did everything good for the first few years but then rebelled I ate what I wanted didn't check my bg and skipped my fast acting insulin just doing my lantus. I thought I was fine I just did insulin when my bg felt high, but I was so used to them being high that I only felt ill when they were extremely bad. I managed like this for 12 years till 4 years ago I started to try to sort myself out but it was too late. I now use a pump which is great and my bg are excellent but my kidneys are failing and my eyes are so bad I can just about read. I am depressed and so worried about dialysis I have an appointment Monday with my nephrologist to see where a stent can be placed and to see how bad things really are. I know a lot of you will say it's my own fault but I know this I just want to warn anyone who cheats with their diabetes that it isn't worth it I'd much rather do 4 injections a day than have dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hrs at a time. Sorry for ranting but I can't vent to anyone so this helps a bit

EwokBishop

Hi,

I'm in a not too different a situation myself. I'm stage 4 CKD and in the process of discussing dialysis and possible transplant.

If you want to chat send me a PM :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you can't be too hard on yourself, all yougnins are 10ft tall and bullet proof, nothing is ever going to happen to them.

have you looked at LCHF ketogenic? if nothing else it may help your BG
http://www.livescience.com/35630-ketogenic-diet-reverses-mice-kidney-disease.html

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Reactions: 2 people

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was stage 5 CKD with a Creatinine of 543, GFR 9, my bs were around 6.5 , I never went on Dialysis. I was taken 40mg of Gliclazide, on the 01/11/14 I was given a Kidney Transplant,and with all the Meds that I was taken my bs shot up into the 20s, the Gliclazide was increased to 160mg twice a day, however this did not do very much to help so now along with the Gliclazide I have been put on Insulin and there has been albeit a slow decrease in the bs which hopefully with the good advice on this site it will continual to fall to a expectable level.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hey all I've posted a few times about my complications and just thought I'd have a lil moan about the damage I've done. I was diagnosed with stage 4 chronic kidney disease in April and was told I would need dialysis in the future I didn't realise the future would be just 6 months later. When I was diagnosed diabetic when I was 12 I was told of all the risks and damage that could be caused by not looking after myself, I did everything good for the first few years but then rebelled I ate what I wanted didn't check my bg and skipped my fast acting insulin just doing my lantus. I thought I was fine I just did insulin when my bg felt high, but I was so used to them being high that I only felt ill when they were extremely bad. I managed like this for 12 years till 4 years ago I started to try to sort myself out but it was too late. I now use a pump which is great and my bg are excellent but my kidneys are failing and my eyes are so bad I can just about read. I am depressed and so worried about dialysis I have an appointment Monday with my nephrologist to see where a stent can be placed and to see how bad things really are. I know a lot of you will say it's my own fault but I know this I just want to warn anyone who cheats with their diabetes that it isn't worth it I'd much rather do 4 injections a day than have dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hrs at a time. Sorry for ranting but I can't vent to anyone so this helps a bit

Hi @cheza31 and @EwokBishop ,

I'm sorry to hear both your diagnoses and predicaments; as @jack412 states, life from the perspective of childhood, teenage years and even into the 30's is so very different. Besides, there aren't many of us in the UK who start life at such a young age being forced to shoulder such an onerous, life-long responsibility as T1D.

As @jack412 states, do consider trying different diets - especially those that include very high levels of nutrient rich veg, (particularly green leaf veg.)

There's a book I bought some months back that I've been using to help me with regaining control of my diabetes and regaining a foothold on my general health - you may be able to get it from the library or ask for it as an 'additional' Xmas present:

"Say no to diabetes - 10 Healthy ways to prevent or reverse diabetes" - by Patrick Holford (ISBN: 978-0-7499-5589-2)

Like most 'health / medical' books, it's a bit dry, but the sections on diet and use of supplements (in transition to health) has been very helpful for me with tackling my prolific retinopathy (which has been stable for the past nine months since starting a 'new lifestyle').

One other thing I've ben doing is drinking a lot of green tea (about 99p in Aldi and Lidl) as well as a twice-daily dose of "Dr. Stuart's Liver Detox" erbal tea (£2.19 per pack of 15). You can buy these from Holland & Barratt or online. Whilst it's aimed at detoxing the liver, I've found that drinking it and green tea has given my whole inner self a real cleanse. I can only say that I feel as though my insides have been given a thorough deep-clean and I no longer suffer any of the cravings I used to have for all those T1-unfriendly foods and drinks.

I've also been taking a substance called L-Arginine, which is found in Beetroot and green veggies, such as spinach, rocket, kale and dark green cabbage.

I truly understand the dark place you find yourself in @cheza31 - when I lost sight in my right eye (owing to significant retinal bleeds), I froze and sank into deep, dark recesses that made me angry with everything and everyone around me. It's taken two years and an ongoing effort to bring myself back from the brink = and I still have so much to do to achieve good BGs.

Don't be too hard on yourself - that sounds easier than it often is, but the fact is T1D is not a simple nor easy 'condition' to live with and none of us have been helped by a range of half-truths, misinformation and lack of support for lifestyle change needed to live with it.

Like @EwokBishop , if you want to PM about anything don't hesitate to do so.

Good luck with Monday's appointment - and with all else.

C.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
you can't be too hard on yourself, all yougnins are 10ft tall and bullet proof, nothing is ever going to happen to them.

have you looked at LCHF ketogenic? if nothing else it may help your BG
http://www.livescience.com/35630-ketogenic-diet-reverses-mice-kidney-disease.html
Please note the above is an animal based study - only . (anna29)

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks @anna29 , it was from oct but It is clearer now, although I thought the title of the link "ketogenic-diet-reverses-mice-kidney-disease" and the first sentence "A type of low-carb, high-fat diet that's typically used to manage seizures for children with epilepsy could reverse kidney disease in Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics, a new animal study suggests."
along with "However, a lot more research in mice is needed before any studies can be done in humans, Mobbs said, let alone determine if the diet can reverse advanced kidney disease in humans, he said." was sufficient

I found this post from SJC yesterday very interesting, it seems he had a 25% increase in eGFR kidney function
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lchf-diet-and-new-blood-test-results.69164/#post-709909
"I would like to have come back here after this long while with some good news. Well, there is a little and that's the fact that my kidney function has gone right up to 68 on this new LCHF diet. " it was 54

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

Hi @cheza31

Rant away, we will listen and it might help how you are feeling.

You are no different than a lot of other young diabetics who don't take the possible consequences of dealing with their diabetes too seriously. We all think we know best when we are younger and if your story helps one other person sort themselves out then it has been worth it.

Keep us updated as to how things are going. ((((hugs))))

(As others have mentioned diet, most renal units have a dietitian who is part of their team and he/she will advise you. It is getting the right balance of protein, phosphorus, potassium and sodium to alleviate any strain on your kidneys.)