Worst Christmas present

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We've had all sorts of threads on chrimbo, but not the worst pressure you've been given by a relative?

Mine was a knitted jumper, with one half of the sleeve knitted with a different shade of wool!

Embarrassing! My mum was going through a knit everything stage!

Reactions: 11 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A loofah. I have eczema and very sensitive skin. The present giver though that as I was itchy so much I would get relief from the itches by vigorous use of the loofah. Thought it was such a wonderful gift that he gave one every year for 4 years.

Reactions: 9 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I got a hamper just full of carbs and alcohol and I've not drunk that poison for years. Gave most of it away.

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a hamper just full of carbs and alcohol and I've not drunk that poison for years. Gave most of it away.
Yes, that reminded me, another regular present from one of the in-laws is chocolates, lots of them, and cookies. Every birthday and Christmas, even though she knows I have had diabetes since 2005.
Maybe I am just not a nice person and they are getting revenge.

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I get boxes of biscuits tins of chocolates bottles of drink every year (tea total) even family members, I just yesterday got a hamper full, it irritates the wife more than me, It just makes me smile

Reactions: 9 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
a couple of years ago a friend gave me a set of mr men bubble baths............ We were 32????? Also he's seen how much bathroom toliteries I have (I could start my own store) and I have a ****** half bath!!!!!!

I gave them to my sister for my nephew who was 4.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't mind, but the chocs are the cheapo ones from Home Bargains 65p a box.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wouldn't mind, but the chocs are the cheapo ones from Home Bargains 65p a box.
lol Pipp. Home Bargains is one of my fav places. £££ss to save Caaaching lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any sort of smellies, mostly from older relatives. I'm allergic to perfumes. They bring me out in a red rash all over my face.

Got a note shoved through our letter box this morning. Can we go and collect a card/letter from the local sorting centre as £1.53 is owed on it. Presumably no stamp. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
MIL once bought us a punch bowl, no idea why as we never have parties, it sat collecting dust for a few years before going to a charity shop.

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My best friend bought me a pretty umbrella a couple of years back. I have needed crutches to walk for the past 15 years as I have collapsed bones in my feet and ankles from Charcot foot neuropathy. She must think I have a spare 3rd hand I keep in a pocket for rainy days :rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
An iron from then hubby ( I did need a new one, but for Christmas :eek:, and last year from my nice neighbours, home made jar of little biscuits and a bottle of wine, I dislike wine, rarely drink and I'm Coeliac too. But the thought was there, bless them lol :oops:

RRB :)

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lol folks, lots of clangers so far...more pls

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum bought me a set of lobster knives and cracker thingy last year. You think after being my mum for over 40 years she'd know by now I don't like seafood. Bless x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same as Andy12345 - boxes of chocolates and bottles of drink.

However this thread reminds me of something that happened when my son was 3. He helped me wrap up the presents and wanted to help me wrap up his own presents too. He was always, um let's say 'strong willed'. So there I was, 5 months pregnant and a screaming kid throwing a tantrum .grrrrrrrrr.

So I said "OK, I'll just go get something" I brought in a shoe box with something in it and placed the paper on it and asked him to hold it still until I came back again. I came back in and he was 'still' holding the paper, but crying. (lol, I'm horrible!)

I said "What's wrong?" He said "I don't want a bottle of orange juice for Christmas" (lol, ungrateful child!)

So, yes of course I hugged him and told him I knew that he would look, every little boy would and he wasn't really getting a bottle of squash for Christmas, but whatever he was getting..........it would still be a surprise!

He's 28 and still hates me for that moment. :)

Reactions: 15 people
C

chris lowe

I have a present under the stairs from a friend who lives abroad and bought and wrapped her presents while over here in October. Looks suspiciously like a tin of Roses or Quality Street. I do eatthe occasional chocolate but from the Lindt shop. They are kept in the front bedroom - for some reason it's the coolest room in the house - and I have to try and get in wtihout the cat dashing past me so I'm not tempted too often. Out of site out of mind.