BS readings

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Apollo 12

Conrad spacewalked on Skylab 1, Bean spacewalked on Skylab 2 and Gordon spacewalked on Gemini 11
Sneaky tricky question Mike, you are the font of space exploration in this forum lol

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Sneaky tricky question Mike, you are the font of space exploration in this forum lol
Trust me Edward

I stumped an international space community / authors and experts online with that one for three days :) No shame at all !!

... and good morning :)

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@miked

Sorry to hear about your bad night.

Did you check your glucose at all during the trembles and night sweats. Could you have been low?

I am not sure I follow what you mean by a liver dump building up for a couple of days. Can you describe?

What we call a liver dump is a perfectly natural protective mechanism.

The liver contains a back up stock of glycogen and when it senses that our blood glucose is going too low, such as in the morning following a long fasting period, it converts some of that glycogen into glucose through a process called glycogenesis and releases it into the bloodstream.

When you have your next meal, the liver converts some of the glucose that enters the bloodstream from the metabolism of carbohydrates into glycogen and replenished its supplies.

It sounds like your body responds very well to exercise to lower glucose I.e your muscles are making efficient use of insulin to take up plasma glucose. Probably you have your low body mass to height ratio and I suspect low body fat percentage to thank for that.

Whatever the reason, it is s very good thing and it gives you a very useful tool in your efforts for glycemic control.

Take care

Pavlos

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must have had a REALLY big LD. After a waking of 7.5, 2 hours later up to 9.9 .... hated that so off I went for a 20 minute walk straight after that reading. Just retested and back to 8.1 .... a 1.8 drop in 20 minutes

Roller coaster :banghead:

Mike, do you test before you get in bed? If not, try it for a few days. This will show you what's going on overnight.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mike, do you test before you get in bed? If not, try it for a few days. This will show you what's going on overnight.
No I didn;t BT .. I felt fine ..... but will comply :)

Tonite (just about to call it quits) I was 6.1 per dinner 6.3 post @ 1 hour and 6.9 at 2 hours ..... with walks in between :)

Sleep well :) Mike

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@miked

Sorry to hear about your bad night.

Did you check your glucose at all during the trembles and night sweats. Could you have been low?

I am not sure I follow what you mean by a liver dump building up for a couple of days. Can you describe?

What we call a liver dump is a perfectly natural protective mechanism.

The liver contains a back up stock of glycogen and when it senses that our blood glucose is going too low, such as in the morning following a long fasting period, it converts some of that glycogen into glucose through a process called glycogenesis and releases it into the bloodstream.

When you have your next meal, the liver converts some of the glucose that enters the bloodstream from the metabolism of carbohydrates into glycogen and replenished its supplies.

It sounds like your body responds very well to exercise to lower glucose I.e your muscles are making efficient use of insulin to take up plasma glucose. Probably you have your low body mass to height ratio and I suspect low body fat percentage to thank for that.

Whatever the reason, it is s very good thing and it gives you a very useful tool in your efforts for glycemic control.

Take care

Pavlos

Hi mate

I just don't know Pavlos but I don't think so. That said, I woke up with a flash in a nightmare and that concerned me (my late mother lecturing / reading that I had T2 ... would you believe that??) . Might have been the vivid dream, might not. May have been a lower BS but with a morning reading of 7.5 I have my doubts.

As for the build up, I guessed it was coming. I almost feel I can detect it some of the time ... my left arm / leg pumps (sometimes my right side arm / leg, sometimes both but it thumps) and it feels like blood running thru my system but I know it's something else (glucose?? . my idiot guess) When I'm feeling OK, I get nothing at all. Doc knows about it but he couldn't hazard a guess.

Don't know what to make of it at all, but as for tonite ('bout to turn in) I feel good (great evening readings BTW) though I am looking forward to some sleep.

Nite mate :) . .... and thank you

Mike

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Should have mentioned it but my doctor had never heard of BS dropping like mine do after what seems (at least to him anyway) to be minimal exercise.

Something to consider for me now I'm not working anymore ... back into a regime of a short walk after breakfast, lunch and dinner regardless of how I feel. Seemed to work before so why not do it again? Reckon my lazy body has become accustomed to hard walking once (maybe twice a day in recent times) rather than the arduous slog at work up and down 3 flights of stairs 30 times a day.

I don't mind the slog if it proves a point :)

As Robert Palmer once wrote (looking for clues)

Reactions: 5 people

alliebee

Morning Mike. Well when you wake up that is....just a thought. Have you checked your blood pressure recently? Those symptoms are some that are commonly described by patients who have high bp. Commonly what we call stress bp. It comes and goes and often is hard to catch...it may not be your diabetes at all...just a thought. Its called stress bp or intermittent bp..a 24 hr bp test from your gp may confirm this...if your bp rises your liver will put out glycogen to help. Adrenalin. Fight or flight syndrome. As it drops you feel shaky and a bit weird

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, Mike. Here’s my 2p worth.

A few days ago, I suggested it would be worthwhile for you to try to relax a bit, in the light of your second set of excellent bloods. I’m not seeing too much of that, just yet.

The thing about diabetes is it isn’t a simple “do x thing and the result will be y”. If that was the case, we’d all have all the answers, and this forum probably wouldn’t exist. The other thing that is clear to me is that we simply don’t have all the answers; even on a day to day basis. We have to accept that.

My own philosophy has taken a bit of arriving at, but when it comes to apparently random readings, unless I can be certain I did something (like snaffle a whole Black Forest Gateaux or the like), I try not to pin too much on a single outlying reading. They happen. There are too many potential reasons why they might happen to waste head space on, and in reality, what are we going to do about it anyway, if it’s a one-off, or occasional occurrence? Sometimes, we just have to record the score, shrug our shoulders whilst saying to ourselves, “weird, but b*&^%$red if I know why”, and get on with our day/evening, as if it hadn’t happened. If that weirdness becomes a trend (and your records would show this), then, yes, do some further digging, if the trend is something you don’t like.

You are torturing yourself, and that makes no sense in anyone’s universe. Planet Breathe is a happier place since I became reconciled to (reluctantly) accepting I’d never have all the answers.

Reactions: 14 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fasting a nasty 6.8 after bad night's sleep
pre lunch/post breakfast 5.3
post lunch 4.6
pre dinner 4.3

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
post lunch 4.6
pre dinner 4.3

and a nasty 7.4 at 2 hrs!! I suspect having a coffee and a piece of coconut chocolate will have bumped that up but I needed something to get me through the gift wrapping and the nasty cold I'm brewing.

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
post lunch 4.6
pre dinner 4.3

Do you go to bed low? I mean 4's? As I said on the fasting thread, I get bigger liver dumps when I am 5 or under at bedtime. I just accept my liver knows what is best for me.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you go to bed low? I mean 4's? As I said on the fasting thread, I get bigger liver dumps when I am 5 or under at bedtime. I just accept my liver knows what is best for me.

No, I'm usually between 5 and 5.5 by bed as I have a warm drink and maybe half an apple or some dark chocolate. I think my fasting has gone up a bit as my evening readings have dropped ( bar tonight but that maybe the cold) - I eat earlier now most days in evening so it is a long fast by the time I test - 14 hrs today!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I'm usually between 5 and 5.5 by bed as I have a warm drink and maybe half an apple or some dark chocolate. I think my fasting has gone up a bit as my evening readings have dropped ( bar tonight but that maybe the cold) - I eat earlier now most days in evening so it is a long fast by the time I test - 14 hrs today!!

Mine is a long fast too. We start tea at about 7 and I test in the morning at about 8.45. My liver likes me in the mid 5's overnight, and apart from mysterious blips, that's where it always puts me. It was the same before diagnosis. My non-diabetic fastings were in the mid 5's.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is a long fast too. We start tea at about 7 and I test in the morning at about 8.45. My liver likes me in the mid 5's overnight, and apart from mysterious blips, that's where it always puts me. It was the same before diagnosis. My non-diabetic fastings were in the mid 5's.

Which is why I think it is so important that we work to own goals not ones posted by anyone else. It is an effort doomed to failure to chase levels that were never ones we had even when non diabetics. I have no idea what I was before but I know that going below 4.6 makes me feel a bit unreal and shaky.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Morning Mike. Well when you wake up that is....just a thought. Have you checked your blood pressure recently? Those symptoms are some that are commonly described by patients who have high bp. Commonly what we call stress bp. It comes and goes and often is hard to catch...it may not be your diabetes at all...just a thought. Its called stress bp or intermittent bp..a 24 hr bp test from your gp may confirm this...if your bp rises your liver will put out glycogen to help. Adrenalin. Fight or flight syndrome. As it drops you feel shaky and a bit weird

Hi alliebee :)

Yep, my BP is high (anything between 145 and 160) and he's prescribed a boosted version of olmetec (BP tablet) that I've been on for 4 days.

I think it's slowly working as yesterday was virtually stress free after the initial bad BS readings. Great analysis AB :) Mike