Baking - help needed please.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I love to bake. I never really ate most of it anyway, so that side doesn't bother me too much. But in the last 9 weeks since my diagnosis I have been nervous about it. I know my 'go to' of banana cake is a massive no - no.

I'm looking after my 2 yr old granddaughter next week, and she will want to bake with me. I want to introduce healthier items to my family. My sister was diagnosed 4 years ago, and my other sister was diagnosed this week as pre - diabetes, so am thinking it is in the genes! My Mum died when 60 - so a possibility she would have developed it had she lived long enough.

1. Lex wants to make biscuits (not my forte). Any suitable recipes fairly easy.

2. I've looked at stevia - anyone recommend it or think it's no good? In proportion to usual sugar how much would you use?

3. No recipes containing nuts - not allergic - just don't really like them.

4. Almond flour/ground almonds - given point 3 can you really taste it? Recommendations/no good. If I think the taste is too strong could I mix it with regular flour?

Thanks in advance.

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about the baking, but I've just noticed how well you are doing with weight loss/BMI, so whatever you do don't be tempted to eat anything that would interrupt that success. Well done, and keep at it!

Reactions: 2 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a few comments;
2. Sweetener - a mix of stevia (have a slight bitter after taste pure) and erythritol is good like Sukrin (twice as sweet as sugar), other brands like truvia etc usually have some other stuff in them in some cases even sugar.
4.When it comes to flour, much used is coconut flour (lowest in carbs the brand Aman Prana 8,9 carbs/100 gram). I'm LCHF so totally grain and gluten free. Almond flour doesn't usually taste much almond but it depends the spices used.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find almond flour taste fine in most baking, and I was pretty doubtful before I tried. Give it a go.
Coconut flour very useful for biscuits - if you like coconut!

Jane.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
vital wheat gluten, low carb protein and adds texture and properties to your non grain, bean, pea, coconut etc flour mixes

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, im a crazy baker, i love to bake, its great fun too when you can't use the usual ingredients and have to figure out ways around it, almond flour is terrific, i tend to bake with splenda mostly but use just about every kind from different recipes, coconut is a huge part of my baking, so hopefully you like coconut lol take a look at www.diabeticgoodbaking.com its a blog of a former forum member and its terrific

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Wow thanks Andy 12345, terrific recipes thanks for posting your a star::))

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
www.diabeticgoodbaking.comJust seen the coconut and chocolate cheese cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it tastes as good as it looks ..... wifey darling ......

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[QUOTEim not a former"Andy12345, post: 709315, member: 59108"]Hi, im a crazy baker, i love to bake, its great fun too when you can't use the usual ingredients and have to figure out ways around it, almond flour is terrific, i tend to bake with splenda mostly but use just about every kind from different recipes, coconut is a huge part of my baking, so hopefully you like coconut lol take a look at www.diabeticgoodbaking.com its a blog of a former forum member and its terrific[/QUOTE]
Andy, Im not a former member:) still here but just watching.thank you for recommending my blog :)

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
[QUOTEim not a former"Andy12345, post: 709315, member: 59108"]Hi, im a crazy baker, i love to bake, its great fun too when you can't use the usual ingredients and have to figure out ways around it, almond flour is terrific, i tend to bake with splenda mostly but use just about every kind from different recipes, coconut is a huge part of my baking, so hopefully you like coconut lol take a look at www.diabeticgoodbaking.com its a blog of a former forum member and its terrific
Andy, Im not a former member:) still here but just watching.thank you for recommending my blog :)[/QUOTE]

Ewelinaaaaaaaa!!! The legend :)

Sorrrry I haven't seen you for ages :)

:sorry:

AnnaRez

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A while ago I found out that the healthiest bakery you can make - is that one which was made in the multicooker. I have the Redmond RMC-M4500 one, inexpensive but helps me to keep myself healthy. Yesterday I made small muffins, used little silicone bear-shaped molds. Didnt use sugar for them and not much flour. Turned out delicious ^_^

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't stand almonds or marzipan so I was rather reluctant to try baking with it. I have mainly used it in chocolate cakes so far and can't taste it at all. The grind is rather courser than flour and I notice the tecture as different more than anything. I did take some into work last Friday for Christmas jumper day and they all vanished without any query or comment. They were also made using Stevia (Canderel green) instead of sugar but as it was a pre done recipy I can't help on how amounts compare with sugar.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almonds are my least disliked nuts, I can tolerate the taste of marzipan - so from the sounds of it I should be ok. Not sure about coconut though I really don't like that. If I am going to include treats in my diet - and my blood sugars and weight loss so far say that I can - I would rather know exactly what the ingredients are. Not just for me - but for my daughter who still lives at home, and whilst I want to improve her diet choices I don't want to impose my stricter limitations on her. But you've all been so helpful. Thank you.