Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Pavlovsdog, take a look in the Type 2 on Insulin forum, I think it needs to get going and I'm guilty of not looking at it much. Hope you are well and I feel not so bad now.

Reactions: 2 people

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ooo cat fleas ..can live up to two years ....I know ,took a stray in once !!!
We were the itchy scratchy crowd for a good while ....

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: yoghurt, berries, oats and double double cream :)
L: tomato and basil soup in M&S and coffee with cream
D: probably burgers without buns with some cheese and Mediterranean veg
Snacks: slices of ham

Bit puzzled as my bg has been a bit weird the last few days. Today I woke with 9.1, two hours after brekkie it was 6.7, and I've just taken it now before my evening meal, and it's 9.1 again!

Anyone got any ideas?

I was also going to say a virus or similar. The one time I had a randomly high day of readings during a run of good ones, the next day I was in the grip of a big head cold.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Pavlovsdog, take a look in the Type 2 on Insulin forum, I think it needs to get going and I'm guilty of not looking at it much. Hope you are well and I feel not so bad now.
Thanks Eddie, I'll have a look

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I'm having a big bowl of homemade scotch broth and it's roasting hot! Btw no sneezing and nose is not running so thank you paracetamol and lozenges.

alliebee

Oh god! Everywhere I turn or go I'm offered shortbread! It is the main thing apart from porridge I miss...."begone evil one". (Right said Fred"......oh how I want a tinful...:(

Reactions: 9 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh god! Everywhere I turn or go I'm offered shortbread! It is the main thing apart from porridge I miss...."begone evil one". (Right said Fred"......oh how I want a tinful...:(

I'm the same with mince pies this year. Haven't been fussed about them before! Maybe just half wouldn't do much harm?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in a HOUSE FULL OF CHOCOLATE as my mother in law has just retired and has been given about a million boxes of chocolate. I am doing my best to maintain a will of iron.

Reactions: 6 people

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food:

B: 2 boiled eggs, bit of Edam
L: piece of veg frittata, half an avocado, 4 cherry tomatoes, bit of goats cheese
D: roast lamb, wok-cooked veg (tomato, red pepper, aubergine), bit of feta.
Other: almonds, 2 glasses champagne (ahem. I honestly don't make a habit of this - have had 1-2 glasses of booze about 3 times since diagnosis in early Oct - today was for MIL's retirement and the other times were my sister's wedding and my birthday. Really am saving it for special occasions).

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the same with mince pies this year. Haven't been fussed about them before! Maybe just half wouldn't do much harm?

Lynn1 - As a marginal pre-diabetic, you don't have to give anything up. I'm sure you would be fine with just moderating your diet.

What were the worst things you have eaten when testing? You could have a mince pie and test around it.

Reactions: 4 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn1 - As a marginal pre-diabetic, you don't have to give anything up. I'm sure you would be fine with just moderating your diet.

What were the worst things you have eaten when testing? You could have a mince pie and test around it.

Sausage and 2 slices of Burgen bread gave me 8.1 (have now discovered Black Farmer), Warburton's Seeded Thin Bread 9.8, small bowl pasta 10.7 - all 2 hour readings.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausage and 2 slices of Burgen bread gave me 8.1 (have now discovered Black Farmer), Warburton's Seeded Thin Bread 9.8, small bowl pasta 10.7 - all 2 hour readings.

So, on that basis, you have no reason to "know" a mince pie would give an unsatisfactory result. Consume and test would be my advice (for a bordeline pre-diabetic).

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So, on that basis, you have no reason to "know" a mince pie would give an unsatisfactory result. Consume and test would be my advice (for a bordeline pre-diabetic).

OK, will do - with and without double cream!

alliebee

Ok. I sadly gave it. 1 little stick of shortbread...it was lush..I enjoyed it. But but but...although my bgs were fine...my carb cravings have returned. I am a carb addict...a taste is enough to set me off.. so I won't be doing that again sadly

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had our office Xmas lunch in a nearby gastro pub today.
It was gorgeous.

I planned ahead. Since we won't be having turkey on The Day, I thought I would choose that option, with a nicely low carb prawn cocktail starter.

So,
Starter was lush. Although I would have served 2x the mayo. But that's me.
Then two thick slices of very nice turkey, 2 roasties, cauliflower, carrots, sprouts :depressed:, cranberry, two tinyy pigs in blankets and some fantastic proper gravy. I could have drunk the gravy.

Of course, I should have left the potatoes, but the rest was ok carbwise. Well, sort of. So I decided to go for it all.
Delicious.
Then I watched them all eat pud while I drank water :angelic:

But, my goodness, 3 hours later I am climbing the walls.
The carb cravings are insane.
It is like a small furry animal is trying to gnaw its way out through my ribcage.
And I'm starving.
Haven't felt like this in over a year.

I think it is two things:
  • It was all sanctimoniously low fat
  • Something in that divine gravy was pure evil. Wheat? Msg? Corn flour?
I've just eaten 3 oatcakes each slabbed in half an inch of cream cheese.
Next will be a hot choc with masses of cream.
But I don't know if that will do it.

I'm struggling not to attack Mr B's cheese lets, fudge and I WANT BREAD. With butter. And bacon. Deep fried.

Ye gods, I used to LIVE like this. How did I ever cope?

Reactions: 20 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It seems that addictions are never really cured, only controlled. I have been through this with cigarettes and red wine so that I can can understand only too well the extremely strong lusting after short-breads and gravy.Tomorrow is another day. Best wishes for returning to the normal menu ladies.

Reactions: 11 people
Status
Not open for further replies.